• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New Mesa Boogie amp: Fillmore 50

guitarman3001

^^^
Disagree. A MESA that can cover Fender tones AND more is something many would choose over a Fender.
But can the Fillmore really cover Fender Blackface tones like a Twin Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb? And cover them well? Many Mesas I've heard have this almost nasally quality to the clean tones that can't be dialed out. Definitely not Fenderish.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I was at the store today and spent another 20 minutes or so with the Fillmore combo. Maybe its the speaker breaking in but I swear it just gets better every time I play it! When it was just out of the box there was a little hash in the top end when overdriven and that has all smoothed right out now.
My TC sounded better after a week of being played daily. Some have speculated that Mesa tubes have to be "burned in".

Mesa just posted this photo...

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
But can the Fillmore really cover Fender Blackface tones like a Twin Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb? And cover them well? Many Mesas I've heard have this almost nasally quality to the clean tones that can't be dialed out. Definitely not Fenderish.
It gets close to Fenderish tones but with a bit more thickness in the midrange. Definitely not nasally sounding. I actually thought, with just the 20 mins I spent on one, that it sounded more nicely rounded than vintage Fender tones that can be thin at times. It did sound more deluxe like as I rolled off some mids. You could probably get even closer with a speaker swap. That said, the stock speaker seemed like a good fit for the amp.

Last edited:

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
To cover BF tones, or to not cover BF tones: that is the question.

Alchemist XP

Gorgeous Amp! Had a Mark IV combo for about 10 years and loved that amp but switched to heads for Mesas after that because the difference going into a good 2x12 cannot be overstated. When someone describes what a Mesa sounds like, it has to be put into context of which cabinet they're playing it through.

Speaker pairing can play a big role in this, IMO.
Exactly.

SRT2011

I was at the store today and spent another 20 minutes or so with the Fillmore combo. Maybe its the speaker breaking in but I swear it just gets better every time I play it! When it was just out of the box there was a little hash in the top end when overdriven and that has all smoothed right out now. I set the clean up with the drive on 3 o'clock today, dialed in a little reverb to fill out the sound and played jazzy blues stuff. It was awesome, I could ride the guitar volume and pick harder or lighter to get all sorts of flavors. I could have sat there all day, very inspiring.

Can't wait to get mine!
My speaker is breaking in nicely too and sounding even better. Yes, setting the gain higher on Clean and riding guitar volume/tone knobs is very inspiring indeed. Similarly, I enjoy setting up the Drive Mode for a nice mid to high gain crunch/lead sound and riding my guitar volume/tone controls for different, but similarly inspiring sounds! Then click in a boost/OD pedal for a bit more sustain. :aok

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Gold Supporting Member
Ok admittedly I'm in the honeymoon phase, but wow this amp is awesome. The more clips I record the more I like it. I have five clips up now. If you guys want to hear anything specific let me know. I can run effects any which way. Different guitars, etc. Just let me know. Or you can all just come over and jam!

starbelly

Silver Supporting Member
Ok admittedly I'm in the honeymoon phase, but wow this amp is awesome. The more clips I record the more I like it. I have five clips up now. If you guys want to hear anything specific let me know. I can run effects any which way. Different guitars, etc. Just let me know. Or you can all just come over and jam!
If you have a guitar with a single coil in the neck, could we possibly hear a drive tone similar to the blues overdrive in the Mesa demo? Here's the section of the video I'm talking about.

PaisleyWookie

I don't mean to sound like I'm diving into hyperbole, but this really is an extraordinary amp. My only wish (and I know it's going outside the scope of the amp) is that it was 3 identical channels, to cover all the grounds footswitchable. The high gain tone just has the exact amount of loose to tight ratio that I've not heard in other amps. Really, really want this bad.

guitarman3001

I don't mean to sound like I'm diving into hyperbole, but this really is an extraordinary amp. My only wish (and I know it's going outside the scope of the amp) is that it was 3 identical channels, to cover all the grounds footswitchable. The high gain tone just has the exact amount of loose to tight ratio that I've not heard in other amps. Really, really want this bad.
Better than a ROV25 combo for classic rock, 80s hair metal, AC/DC, ZZ Top, etc... plus funk, disco, etc... without needing dirt pedals?

And clean tones as Fendery as a Fender Supersonic 22?

Jazzgear

Silver Supporting Member
Got a chance to audition the Combo today for almost an hour then immediately thereafter placed an order for the head. Loved loved the combo and debated taking it or going with the head. But given I have a myriad of cab options already I was strongly encouraged by the better half to save the $200 and go with the head. The amp is everything positive that has been said already. I’ve owned 98% of the amp models Mesa has put out since the early 80s, except for the pure rectos (though I did own RK v1 and vII). I currently have a Mark V three C+s, Mark IV, Mark III, and 1 non Mesa amp (Bogner Shiva). This is by far the most touch sensitive Mesa amp I’ve played.

To me the magic to the amp is not in it’s clean tone, it’s great indeed - but not sure it’s better than the Lonestar or Mark V Clean, or the clean on my IIC+s...the Drive mode is where it’s at....that’s where the magic happens....ala the Blue Channel on a Bogner 101B XTC. You can gig all night on this mode from clean to rhythm to searing leads just by riding the volume and tone controls on the Guitar. The pure clean mode is definitely a kin of the Deluxe Reverb without the top end harshness.

I disagree with what’s been said about the Reverb. It is lush and comes in just the right amounts on the dial. It’s not like on a DRRI or TRRI, where Reverb set on 2 and you’re in surf city. It’s much more gradual on the Fill.

Finally I unplugged the combo speaker and plugged it into a Boogie Widebody closed back Cab. It was as if I increased the volume by 3-5 dB without ever touching the amp controls. The sound was bigger but more compressed sounding...more bass and more highs. Sound really scooped. So had to bring the mids to just past 12 noon to balance the tone to my ears,

Then I plugged the Combo into a Friedman 2x12 cab, played a few rifts and some chords and my God,,,my jaw just dropped...the clean was so Lush,big bubbly and bouncy yet round without being boomy — with a slight feel of light comlpressiom felt between the fingers and string as the gain or volume was increased. I loved playing on the drive mode

Home Run by Mesa on this amp

Last edited:

PaisleyWookie

Better than a ROV25 combo for classic rock, 80s hair metal, AC/DC, ZZ Top, etc... plus funk, disco, etc... without needing dirt pedals?

And clean tones as Fendery as a Fender Supersonic 22?
I think it'll do classic rock in spades, but to me it doesn't do the Marshalley thing at all, despite having a more pronounced midrange than a Fender might. I think the clean tones are better than any MIM Fender I've played. Having played nearly all of the recent Fenders at one point or another, I simply do not understand the attraction though, personally.

Got a chance to audition the Combo today for almost an hour then immediately thereafter placed an order for the head. Loved loved the combo and debated taking it or going with the head. But given I have a myriad of cab options already I was strongly encouraged by the better half to save the $200 and go with the head. The amp is everything positive that has been said already. I’ve owned 98% of the amp models Mesa has put out since the early 80s, except for the pure rectos (though I did own RK v1 and vII). I currently have a Mark V three C+s, Mark IV, Mark III, and 1 non Mesa amp (Bogner Shiva). This is by far the most touch sensitive Mesa amp I’ve played.

To me the magic to the amp is not in it’s clean tone, it’s great indeed - but not sure it’s better than the Lonestar or Mark V Clean, or the clean on my IIC+s...the Drive mode is where it’s at....that’s where the magic happens....ala the Blue Channel on a Bogner 101B XTC. You can gig all night on this mode from clean to rhythm to searing leads just by riding the volume and tone controls on the Guitar. The pure clean mode is definitely a kin of the Deluxe Reverb without the top end harshness.

I disagree with what’s been said about the Reverb. It is lush and comes in just the right amounts on the dial. It’s not like on a DRRI or TRRI, where Reverb set on 2 and you’re in surf city. It’s much more gradual on the Fill.

Finally I unplugged the combo speaker and plugged it into a Boogie Widebody closed back Cab. It was as if I increased the volume by 3-5 dB without ever touching the amp controls. The sound was bigger but more compressed sounding...more bass and more highs. Sound really scooped. So had to bring the mids to just past 12 noon to balance the tone to my ears,

Then I plugged the Combo into a Friedman 2x12 cab, played a few rifts and some chords and my God,,,my jaw just dropped...the clean was so Lush,big bubbly and bouncy yet round without being boomy — with a slight feel of light comlpressiom felt between the fingers and string as the gain or volume was increased. I loved playing on the drive mode

Home Run by Mesa on this amp
Agreed on all counts. First Mesa amp in awhile that I'd actually use the amp's built-in reverb instead of my H9 or MXR.

guitarman3001

I think it'll do classic rock in spades, but to me it doesn't do the Marshalley thing at all, despite having a more pronounced midrange than a Fender might. I think the clean tones are better than any MIM Fender I've played. Having played nearly all of the recent Fenders at one point or another, I simply do not understand the attraction though, personally.
How might it compare to a Fender Supersonic 22? I'm a big fan of Fender Blackface type cleans.

Trending Topics