New Mesa Boogie amp: Fillmore 50

blackba

I don't think so. My experience with my Fillmore 50 combo is the Master Volume knob sweep is very gradual until about 1 0'clock and comes on faster as it is increased from there. Personally, I like this gradual increase up to about 1 0'clock. It might seem "not as loud" as other 50w amps for this reason? Keep in mind that xrcdan was playing an outdoor gig. Either way, I think it is plenty loud as a gigging amp for most players/situations.

I do think the amp that starbelly played probably has a bad preamp tube, but my amp is working just fine after playing it a lot over the past 2 weeks. Also, I don't notice much background noise out of it at all.....so know that my tubes are just fine.
I think a gradual taper of the master volume is a good thing and if the Fillmore 50 is not as loud as other 50w amps, than that is a good thing in my book as well. Been a long time since I have been told to turn up when playing live.

I also find it very typical that people are complaining about the stock speaker, that is something I see with about every combo amp. Mesa only has a few speakers they use and the mc90 is a nice neutral speaker, doesn’t mean that others won’t find a speaker they like better.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
Best one so far.
First video I like.
I was mostly looking for the Strat sounds.

Even then, the problem I have to get a new amp is that my RP dances around that amp and completely annihilates it in all categories. So does the Budda.

Good amp, yes, outstanding and a hair above any other amp, not yet.

Seth L

First video I like.
I was mostly looking for the Strat sounds.

Even then, the problem I have to get a new amp is that my RP dances around that amp and completely annihilates it in all categories. So does the Budda.

Good amp, yes, outstanding and a hair above any other amp, not yet.
No one has claimed it's better than anything, so far. It's a great, well thought out amp that's going to appeal to a lot of people.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
No one has claimed it's better than anything, so far. It's a great, well thought out amp that's going to appeal to a lot of people.
I did!

Watched the video again and it is growing on me. like the portability and ay last I see a strat video with it that sounds good.

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Silver Supporting Member
I'm going to agree that when set to clean mode the amp is not very loud. I want my clean tone to be CLEAN no dirt, grit, nothing, nodda, etc. In order to get the clean channel loud enough I have it up 80% and anything after that brings in break up. The gain is about 10 o'clock again anything beyond that starts bringing in dirt. Now in Hi Gain mode volume doesn't seem to be an issue. With all this said I will admit this is the first time I've played through a 1x12 in 10 years minimally. Through my 4x12 it's obviously much louder.

Jazzgear

Silver Supporting Member
I'm going to agree that when set to clean mode the amp is not very loud. I want my clean tone to be CLEAN no dirt, grit, nothing, nodda, etc. In order to get the clean channel loud enough I have it up 80% and anything after that brings in break up. The gain is about 10 o'clock again anything beyond that starts bringing in dirt. Now in Hi Gain mode volume doesn't seem to be an issue. With all this said I will admit this is the first time I've played through a 1x12 in 10 years minimally. Through my 4x12 it's obviously much louder.
I have to agree. To me there’s as much pure clean headroom as in a Deluxe Reverb- except the Fill is more than than twice the wattage. Doesn’t matter to me though. Plenty loud for my purposes

jackson

Just picked up one of these bad boys. First impressions are that they knocked it out the park. We'll see. I never used MBs because I'm addicted to a fender clean sounds, and never found that in a MB. Well this amp has it, plus it has two more amps (modes) that sound great as well. I didn't read the whole thread, but I see a few comments about clean headroom. I did notice that the amp does not seem as loud as other 50 watt amps. I don't usually need more than a deluxe reverb, but I'll be disappointed if it can't match a DR. I happen to have one. I'll do a side by side tomorrow.

AA864

After a careful analysis of my current amp inventory, I have determined that I am one amp short in the Head/Cab category and the Fillmore 50 will be required to correct this imbalance. Here are the findings. Please review and confirm.

Combos
1. Fender Champ
2. Gries 12 combo w/ Cel Blue 12” & Brakelite
3. Fender Super Reverb
4. Marshall Class 5 combo
5. Mesa Studio .22+ & 1x12 cab

Head + Cab
1. Fender Bassman + 2x12 cab w/ V30s
2. Marshall Class 5 Head – w/ Marshall 4x10 Cab
3. Marshall 2061x head + 2061cx 2x12 Cab
4. Morgan AC20 Deluxe + 1x12 Cab

Clearly the Fillmore 50 head paired with either my
1. Avatar 1x12 vintage w/ Scumback M75/25w 12” in 25w setting, or
2. Marshall 1965B – 4x10 Straight Cab in 50w setting

will solve this 'problem' :D

ShaunOsovs

Just picked up one of these bad boys. First impressions are that they knocked it out the park. We'll see. I never used MBs because I'm addicted to a fender clean sounds, and never found that in a MB. Well this amp has it, plus it has two more amps (modes) that sound great as well. I didn't read the whole thread, but I see a few comments about clean headroom. I did notice that the amp does not seem as loud as other 50 watt amps. I don't usually need more than a deluxe reverb, but I'll be disappointed if it can't match a DR. I happen to have one. I'll do a side by side tomorrow.
It does seem like a quieter 50w clean sound at the start, for sure. But there's a lot of untapped volume available with the help of pedals...which IMO is the way it should be with a clean channel. It really lets me choose the right amount of gain staging and this way my 'clean boost' pedals for solos actually do something instead of just crap out the front end of the amp. But I can't imagine needing a much louder clean sound than this to begin with in a band context. When was the last time any of us actually needed a Fender Twin on stage to be heard? with all the buzz/hum that comes with those amps too.

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
After a careful analysis of my current amp inventory, I have determined that I am one amp short in the Head/Cab category and the Fillmore 50 will be required to correct this imbalance. Here are the findings. Please review and confirm.

Combos
1. Fender Champ
2. Gries 12 combo w/ Cel Blue 12” & Brakelite
3. Fender Super Reverb
4. Marshall Class 5 combo
5. Mesa Studio .22+ & 1x12 cab

Head + Cab
1. Fender Bassman + 2x12 cab w/ V30s
2. Marshall Class 5 Head – w/ Marshall 4x10 Cab
3. Marshall 2061x head + 2061cx 2x12 Cab
4. Morgan AC20 Deluxe + 1x12 Cab

Clearly the Fillmore 50 head paired with either my
1. Avatar 1x12 vintage w/ Scumback M75/25w 12” in 25w setting, or
2. Marshall 1965B – 4x10 Straight Cab in 50w setting

will solve this 'problem' :D
GAS planning, I like it! LOL

jackson

It does seem like a quieter 50w clean sound at the start, for sure. But there's a lot of untapped volume available with the help of pedals...which IMO is the way it should be with a clean channel. It really lets me choose the right amount of gain staging and this way my 'clean boost' pedals for solos actually do something instead of just crap out the front end of the amp. But I can't imagine needing a much louder clean sound than this to begin with in a band context. When was the last time any of us actually needed a Fender Twin on stage to be heard? with all the buzz/hum that comes with those amps too.
I just put the Fillmore 50 side by side to my 74 DR. To my ears, the Fillmore does have more clean power than the DR. The Fillmore has a tighter sound and more mids if you want them. I think it going to project much better than the DR. It's barely bigger than the DR and about the same weight (I have a V30 in the DR). They did a heck of a job on this amp. (first impressions)

Seth L

I feel certain you are going to get 50 watts worth of squeaky clean from that amp. A 2x12 cab would probably work wonders.

AA864

I feel certain you are going to get 50 watts worth of squeaky clean from that amp. A 2x12 cab would probably work wonders.
Even better , a 2x12 cab @ 4ohms would be awesome. I’m thinking an old Fender cab might pair well with the Fillmore head. I also notice the Fillmore head shell dimensions are Very close to a Bassman/Bandmaster head.

Last edited:

ShaunOsovs

I just put the Fillmore 50 side by side to my 74 DR. To my ears, the Fillmore does have more clean power than the DR. The Fillmore has a tighter sound and more mids if you want them. I think it going to project much better than the DR. It's barely bigger than the DR and about the same weight (I have a V30 in the DR). They did a heck of a job on this amp. (first impressions)
This is valuable info because most are agreeing the Fillmore is "like a DR on steroids" but you're actually doing the comparison. Glad to see that it sounds like our thoughts are true. Thank you for A/Bing them!

Trending Topics