• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New Mesa Boogie amp: Fillmore 50

Pat Wu

Please tell me if I'm mistaken here. The clean demos on some of these vids sound very much like my Electradyne. Even the OD tones are pretty similar except the ED does sound a little fatter. I guess that can be Eq'd to taste. The Electradyne was also marketed as more a vintage vibe. So it really makes me wonder why they discontinued the ED a few years ago only to launch something very very similar. The only advantage that I can see is that the Fillmore is about 30 lbs. lighter.

epauley

Please tell me if I'm mistaken here. The clean demos on some of these vids sound very much like my Electradyne. Even the OD tones are pretty similar except the ED does sound a little fatter. I guess that can be Eq'd to taste. The Electradyne was also marketed as more a vintage vibe. So it really makes me wonder why they discontinued the ED a few years ago only to launch something very very similar. The only advantage that I can see is that the Fillmore is about 30 lbs. lighter.
It's been a while since I've heard an Electradyne. Do you think it had a Fender-like sound?
The only advantage that I can see is that the Fillmore is about 30 lbs. lighter.
:D

epauley

Like a Deluxe Reverb on steroids or more like a Twin.
Sounds similar. According to the Fillmore manual (and I agree as I have one), it can sound like a Blackface or a Tweed depending on the settings. Some have speculated that the Fillmore fills the void left by the Electradyne and the Express. All I can add is that the harmonics are wonderful.

SRT2011

Been a very long time since I owned an ED, but I don't see many similarities in the Fillmore.
The Fillmore is vastly more versatile and can be setup as a channel switching amp in many ways. The sounds and feel are different than any other mesa.
The ED is basically a single channel amp with 3 selectable modes. It had many unacceptable compromises for me to use as a footswitcher (shared gain, volume, EQ with all modes), making it very difficult to balance volumes and get optimum tones in all 3 modes. Also, it went from loud to louder and weighed a ton!
I got very frustrated with it and sold it. The blue mode was great though.

Last edited:

CaliCaveMan

Silver Supporting Member
The Electradyne is not like the Fillmore. Actually, the TC50 crunch channel has its roots from the Electradyne. My understanding from some folks I've spoken with is Ch 2 of the TC50 is a modified Electradyne channel. Ch 2 of the TC50 is a wonderful channel. There's a lot of folks out there that really like the Electradyne. I have spent some time on a 2x12 version and it sounds great to me. I was really surprised when they took it out of production so quickly. Mesa has a tough job though, too many knobs and people complain, then too few and people complain....haha. Oh well.....

fjs1962

Silver Supporting Member
The Fillmore has a WAY different feel compared to the ED. The ED has a Simlclass power section and is big, bold, punchy and LOUD. It’s a great amp if you like a lot of punch and volume. It’s also voiced with a lot more low mid girth to the tone. So even though the clean channel is fairly close to a blackface preamp the power section takes it to a totally different place. The Lo and Hi channels are more “Marshall” voiced. The RA and now TC can trace roots back to the ED design wise, but they both have much more traditional power sections which gives them a softer feel compared to the ED.

Pat Wu

Thank you all for your clarifications. I guess there are noticeable differences to the ED. I'm just trying to justify why I shouldn't want a new Fillmore. :(

MickeyJi

If the Fillmore sounds anywhere like the Electradyne, that would be a very valid reason for me to get one! The ED is one of my favorite amps ever, but it unfortunately being too big, too loud, too heavy we had to go separate ways.

Jazzgear

Silver Supporting Member
You’re sadly Mistaken. That’s like saying a cherry tastes like an orange

Pat Wu

You’re sadly Mistaken. That’s like saying a cherry tastes like an orange

Really? Other than some obvious differences and the second channel, the marketing and the 3 modes look very similar.

"Introducing the Electra Dyne™. An easy-to-look-at, simple-to-use amplifier that has way more TONE than you might expect hidden artfully behind these six knobs and a switch.

Deeply rooted in the Best of the Brit lineage, the Electra Dyne takes modified English gain sounds and sorts them into LO and HIGH regions. These two choices are combined with a retro-minded, American-voiced clean “channel” and linked to one mini-toggle that gives you three of the most classic sounds in Rock and Roll on one switch!"

That, and it doesn't sound anything like the ED, and it's far more versatile.
I would agree that the Fillmore's second channel makes it more versatile, but the clean voicing is not too far off based on the soundclips I've heard. Yes, the ED has a more girthy tone overall, but with a little eq, I think they can sound very close. I do agree that the ED is pretty stiff feeling and heavy AF though, can't argue about that. I'm just saying that the "vintage American voicing" and the low to mid gain modes is not really new to Mesa.

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
I'd love to know how Mesa's sales numbers look for the Fillmore so far, compared to other models' releases.
I don't recall this many demos right out of the gate for the Mark V, V25, V35 or TC-50.
I think the amount of demos available is more of a reflection of what social media has done to marketing.

What will be a truer test IMO is to see what kind of promotion and hype future Mesa amps get on YouTube.

I had an ED combo for a year when they first came out great amp but its tight, bright and loud. I spent 30 minutes with the a Fillmore combo and it sounds nothing like ED cleans or gain. Fillmore has vintage softness and the cleans are closer to Fender, not as compressed as ED or Mark cleans. Fillmore has more gain on tap sounds thicker, more open but not tight bottom. Its a vintage voicing with high gain.
Recently played an ED again and instantly that familiar feel and tone makes me play a certain way. Playing Fillmore doesn't remind me of ED one bit. Imo the ED is one of the best amps Mesa has made, ...the Fillmore sounds very good but I can't justify getting one at that price point. Plus knowing mesa they will come out with Fillmore 100 v2 next year.

Last edited:
I think the amount of demos available is more of a reflection of what social media has done to marketing.

What will be a truer test IMO is to see what kind of promotion and hype future Mesa amps get on YouTube.
I cant see any more huge hits like Rectifiers now with the market saturated with builders and so many demos out there of great amps. Mesa happened to be in the right place at the right time with their Mark series and Rectos but now guitar based music is pretty low on the popularity list... I think its wise from a business point what Mesa is doing to keep the cash flowing and dnot rely on one big hit model. Just keep pumping out new ideas and updates. Capitalism at its finest.

Mike Irving

I purchased the Fillmore 50 head last Friday and I plan to return it. I spent the afternoon comparing the tones of all three modes with my TA30 head tones and my Rivera Quiana head tones and I don’t like what I am hearing from the Fillmore. The gain tones have a harsh, brittle tone that I can’t seem to get rid of, no matter what I do with EQ and gain. I also don’t like the reverb.

jklotz

Interesting how there were 1500 posts about this amp before it was released into the wild, and now that it's been released, they have gone to a slow trickle.

I was interested until I heard there wasn't enough clean headroom to keep up with a drummer. Anybody else care to comment on this?

anuj

I fell in love with the amp's clean modes. Just stellar. Wasn't SUPER feeling the drive or hi gain modes, though. But still felt like it would be a compelling pedal platform. Took my rig in to try it. Takes pedals (Riverside, Kätzenkönig, Montreal Positive, EP Booster) decently well when set up clean until about noon on the gain knob. Things go sideways if you try to push it's drive modes though. Harsh and brittle like Mike I noted above. Just couldn't dial 'em out, and ultimately felt it would be a lot of money for approximately 1/3rd of a usable amp.

So then I found a beautiful used Lonestar Special and yep, exactly what I wanted all along. Broke one of my cardinal rules and actually took it out to a gig just hours after getting it, and it delivered SO hard.

Trending Topics