NEW Mesa Boogie Fillmore 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by starbelly, May 22, 2019.

1. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

2. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I got the 50 and now wish I had waited for the 100.

3. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

It's a response to all the complaints of lack of headroom on their 40 W amps (yes I'm referring to the Fillmore "50"). And yes, 2 x 6L6 will only get you 40W clean.

Jabby92, 44 and feeling it and Lef T like this.
  4. AA864

AA864 Member

We all knew this was gonna happen.

5. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

I'm glad I did a search.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

Bassbreaker 30R sounds better to me based on this video. Will have to try it in person to be sure.

sitedrifter likes this.
  7. 73171

73171 Member

I wonder if this sounds similar to the 100 watt Lonestar when playing clean?

Suave Eddie likes this.
  8. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

Are these amps supposed to be similar in design? I'm not sure I get the relationship between the two.

9. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

Not to my understanding. Bassbreakers are doing something completely different.

10. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

I call the Bassbreaker 30R "the poor man's Mesa/Boogie". If you try them in person, You'll see what I mean.

44 and feeling it likes this.
  11. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

I’m curious as well. Looking at a LSC locally, but wanting what I’m hearing in the Fillmore cleans.

12. markl

markl Member

Not having enough headroom on a 50-watt (or 40-watt) Mesa sounds bat-sh*t crazy to me! Where are people playing that requires that much volume, but you’re not miced into a PA?

I have an Express Plus 5:50 and even for an outdoor gig, I ran it on 25 for the clean and 5 watts on the dirty channel.

13. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I haven't played the new 30r but it's based off the 15 bassbreaker and i played that one. The cleans are not that good for a Fender I think the blues jr has better Fender cleans and sounds more organic. The bassbreaker 15 sounds more like a digital modeler. It's not bad for the money but if you play a fillmore cranked next to a Bassbreaker 15 and probably the same for the new 30r it's a big difference. The Fender Namm video showing the fender Stapleton Princeton and then the 30r....well the quality in tone is quite obvious to me.

14. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

I'd describe my response as one of polite puzzlement too. I'm even beginning to think I might actually need to start playing to the benefit of the song, instead of to the benefit of NOS 6L6GC sellers on Ebay.

As for the assertion that 2x6L6 gets you 40W of clean - haven't any of you heard a MkIIA with two 6L6s? The cleans off that will give you a shave, haircut and decapitation all-in-one at a hundred paces.

What have amp manufacturers been doing for the past three and a half decades?

15. LaXu

LaXu Member

The power scaling options don't seem particularly useful.

"FULL (4 x 6L6 Pentode - 98W Clean/112W Max), HALF (2 x 6L6 Pentode - 40W Clean/50W Max) and LOW (2 x 6L6 Triode - 22W Clean/30W Max) via Selectable (Global)"

So really loud, a bit less loud and almost the same as half power. I can't tell a significant change in volume between the 45W vs 30W modes on my Bogner so I expect these have more effect on feel than volume.

16. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

That was my thought - and then the same for a TRRI.

73171 likes this.
  17. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

But it has a master volume and gain knob for each channel as well so there is plenty more control available. These controls work really well on the other 90 and 100 watt Mesas I own.

18. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I just bought the 50 and initially thought tne same but after listening to the 100 clip a few times the gain chsnnel doesn't get me excited. Im actually looking st getting the 25 watt version instead. I have played that and there is enough difference between the 50 to justify having both.

CavedRyan and guitarplayaman like this.
  19. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I love the power options on my mark v and for the most part they work very well but on my fillmore 50 the 25 watt setting is useless to me. It definitely cuts volume but it also cuts the dynamics and tone making it sound dull and lifeless at any volume to me. I also had that issue with the Electradyne i had. It didnt sound anywhere near as good at 45 class A as full on 90 watt simulclass setting.

Wyzard likes this.
  20. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Well in this case he is right because i saw somewhere that Mesa said the Fillmore 25 has what they call 'dynawatt technology' and the cleans are rated at 18 watts and the gain channel is rated at 23 watts. I have the 50 and the clean channel is nowhere near as loud as the gain channel so the 40 watt rating sounds accurate. I thought it was even less than that.