New Mesa Boogie JP-2C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bigwreck, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

Well it is a Mark II series amp not a Mark III re-issue w/independent circuit revision Mesa's website and official demo's has stated very clearly this is a Mark 2C+ with a double lead channel.

Guitarshreda likes this.
  2. cytorg

cytorg Supporting Member

True, but when I called Mesa the rep told me that channel two was similar to the Mark IV channel 2 where it could be used as a dirty rhythm and went from a slightly dirty to having more gain, like the Mark IV. I had a Mark IV A model and sold it, one of the best amps I ever had. I switched to my current rig, a two amp setup, BF Deluxe Reverb and a 18 0r 50w marshall but now I need a smaller footprint on stage and frankly less to carry. I plan on finding an 1st gen Mark IV and have it gone through be Mesa. May take awhile but I'm patient.

3. MESA/Boogie

MESA/Boogie Member

This is a good example of the mid-gain and crunch sounds in the lower gain settings...

4. Guitarshreda

Guitarshreda Member

I'd say the difference between the Mark IV 2nd channel and the 2nd channel of the JP2C is that, the highest gain setting on the Mark IV 2nd channel doesn't offer much gain. This what the problem most people had with the 2nd channel of that amp. Many wanted that channel to offer the same amount of gain as the 3rd channel, thus providing the ability to have a "metal" rhythm tone and a "metal" lead tone. The JP2C provides this, and with the inclusion of the 2 separate GEQs you can really tailor each sound. This is the way (I imagine) Petrucci uses the amp.

However, Low/Mid gain sounds are very doable on the JP2C (as the video above shows) -- however I found that the gain has to be set VERY low. There is no "edge of breakup" sound on that channel in the JP2C. You start at a mild crunch sound. It also depends on your pickups. So when I tested it out, I used the split single coil sound on my Majesty guitar (the middle position), there was slight overdrive sound. Great for classic rock. Then I hit the full bridge humbucker for great lead sound. If I wanted more to the channel, the Majesty has a gain boost which is like hitting the amp with a tubescreamer to push the front end. Mind you the gain knob was set to 8 o'clock on the JP2C. I'd argue that that setting is equal to the gain knob almost dimed on the Mark IV. This is the difference. You can certainly get a low/mid gain sound, but the knob has to be turned way down because of how much gain is on tap on the 2nd channel.

Bandersnatch and stephen sawall like this.
  5. Cosmic Swirl

Cosmic Swirl Member

I spoke to Chris at Mesa about this for my JP-2C on order. The European lot arrives end of May-ish and he assured me that all of these units will already have been modified :)

norpe and Guitarshreda like this.
  6. BlackwaterPark4

BlackwaterPark4 Member

Hey guys,

I've posted this in a couple areas but I just recently completed a cover of Overture 1928 on my JP2C. I think this really accurately represents the high gain crunch & lead tones quite well. Thinking about another cover that would showcase the clean next. Hope this is helpful for anyone on the fence!!

dave_fisher, stratzrus, Lef T and 2 others like this.
  7. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I sent mine back last week, I could not bond with this amp, tried and tried and it just was not doing it for me.
    I am happy with my Mark1, Kingsnake and Tremoverb Mesa amps.

8. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Definitely a unique amp. I've had mine for a week now, and confirm it's a modern high-gain monster. It won't do "edge of break up" or dynamic low gain sounds like an old Marshall or other non-MV amp can do. That said, the clean channel ranges from thin and bright (at very low gain) to warm, compressed and musical (at high gain). Channel 2 and 3 are crazy high gain, way more than either my Engl or Dual Rec. Very aggressive sounding. At the lowest possible gain settings, channel 2 gets a highly compressed, moderately overdriven tone that reminds me of something you'd hear from BB King. The EQ knobs are super sensitive, a small turn can change the tone quite a bit. The reverb sounds pretty good, and the switching is quick and silent.

Overall, a really fun (and unique) amp!

9. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

Try an original with simulclass and the on-board graphic. For all it's claims of versatility (which is true in a way), the JP2C just doesn't have the tonal spectrum of the originals. Also, simuls just sound sweeter.

DiPa likes this.
  10. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

The original has been given the highest regards by so many, I will have to definitely go in that direction and try one.

11. DeuxSeaPlus

DeuxSeaPlus Member

I've owned Marks Is and a few Tremoverbs, I'm confident you'll love the originals. But beware, although they all sound somewhat similar, the options make a huge difference. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  12. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

I returned mine too - i couldnt point to anything specifically that disappointed me but i just really wasnt wowed beyond the first day or two and didnt connect with the amp...

There was a certain 'generic' aspect to it, for lack of a better term

13. XSinner13X

XSinner13X Member

Champing.... Like a horse CHAMPING at the bit...
    chomped things are often eaten, while champed things are not (Champed=Chewed NOT eaten)

14. dilznik

dilznik Member

If you were after a three channel amp for mostly rhythm that did
    1. Pristine cleans
    2. Crunch like ACDC Jailbreak
    3. Face melt chugga

would this be the amp? Mark V? 3 channel recto?
    Because I need all of that in one song sometimes.

15. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Fryette Sig X
    The I have a JP-2C...it is not the amp you are looking for.

16. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

Fryette Sig-X that and MOAR!

SERENO likes this.
  17. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

We posted at the same time what a coinky-dink lol

18. Guitarshreda

Guitarshreda Member

I disagree. If you set Channel 2 super low on the gain you'll get some nice AC/DC crunch. It doesn't sound Marshally, but it's not overly gain-y either.

19. BlackwaterPark4

BlackwaterPark4 Member

Absolutely loving my JP-2C - exactly the type of amp I had been looking for for a very long time. Hope most other folks are happy with it :)

20. Al Rose

Al Rose Gold Supporting Member

Well, you obviously have a boatload of different amps, and a few Mesas, so you have significant experience with many different amps. What is it about the amp you couldn't bond with? Too much gain on channels 2 and 3, not touch sensitive, not fat enough cleans? I'm not questioning your not liking the amp (for example, I'm not a fender guy), just can you be more specific? Am curious about your thoughts.

Al