New Mesa Boogie Mark III Head Shell - Coastline Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Heady Jam Fan, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Just got a new head cabinet for my Mesa Boogie MK III.

Greg, from Coastline Amps (eBay), built it just based upon specs (dimensions). He didn't have the amp chassis or anything, and it fits like a glove!

It's on top of my Purple and Cane 1x12 Extension from AB_Amps (eBay), with a a Steamboat Hemp 100 speaker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Seriesnuns

Seriesnuns Supporting Member

Does he do custom woods?

I'm a recent mark iii owner and would like to get it into a raw wood headshell.

Does that back help cut down on the fan noise? Mine came without a fan and I put a radio shack deal in but it's loud. Keeps the amp super cool though.

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Bet it gets real hot with that back panel on there...?

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I need one too. I have the rackmount version but would prefer the head. . Care to mention how must they cost? Does it have the reverb tank cutout on the bottom? There's been some Mesa headshells fs used these past few months, but I called Mesa and they wouldn't swear to me that the mk2 , or mk4 , or f50 ,etc would fit the mk iii. They said they're all similar but might not be exact. That wasn't reassuring in my search for a used one! Eric

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

It's not too hot, I guess I could take the back off. He can adjust that aspect too if you want, I'm sure.

I don't know about custom wood finishes. He has more options than listed on eBay, and he's a great guy to work with.

If your fan is too loud, search online for quieter fans. I try to use one, but I don't always, honestly. Not sure I notice a change in tube longevity. Mine used to be a combo and didn't come with a fan. Lasted years that way.

I had mine in a rack too, and wanted a head, mostly to fit the reverb. It doesn't have a cut out, it's just a few inches taller than normal. He only charged me a little more than a fender head, as listed on his eBay site.

The mark iii will fit a mark ii, except for the iia, iirc (not sure about the others you listed, but they use the same size chassis for multiple different amps, the express 5:25 is similar to the Mark iii). I had mine in a mark ii combo that someone modified into a head shell for me. It's a bit rough around the edges, so I had this one made by Greg. I'd probably just give that modified Mark ii cabinet away if someone could use it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Does the cab have the fan installed?

My MKIII head got hot but had a fan and just a small aluminum bar for a back panel

7. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Not yet. My next practice is Monday, so I'll try to put one in before then. These amps definitely get warm either way though.

8. Seriesnuns

Seriesnuns Supporting Member

Before my fan I could feel the heat radiating above the amp. Even the metal chassis was pretty warm.

Now the metal is pretty cool. I only worry because he amp is getting ready to be 30 years old and want it to last another 30 at least.

You can call boogie for the exact part # for fan and bracket. I placed mine horizontal above the reverb tank blowing into the pre amp tubes. I did this based off pics of the Internet. Seems to work pretty good.

9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Thats good advice ^. Also, check out Grail Tone for some suggestions on low-noise fans.

10. jujube

jujube Member

You could have gone with a half back panel and perforated grille/aluminum bar for the top part.

11. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yeah. Most people with a Mark III head don't even use the back panel anyway. If, after I toss a fan in there, I feel the need, I'll remove or replace the back panel. I'm not too concerned about it though.

12. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I just installed a fan - it is an AC Infinity component fan, and its nearly silent. I'd definitely suggest that fan to anyone who needs a quieter option than the stock fan.