• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Mesa Boogie Mark V Twenty Five announced!

Fro68

Silver Supporting Member
I tried several cabs with mine and ended up with the Mesa thiele 1x12 cab with C90 speaker. Is was much more even sounding and had a better low end than the mini-rec cab to me. The mini-rec definitely has the vintage 30 upper mid spike, which is great if you like that sound. I typically mic my amp live or use the cab clone so I don't need it to cut through as well.

That being said, it looks much cooler with the mini-rec slant cab...

:agree
With everything he said.
I'm using the Thiele w/C90 and it sounds great. I've ordered a second Thiele with the Fillmore 75 installed to try out.

Darth Gain

I just picked it up today, have no clue how to upload pics, but I was registering it at the Mesa site earlier and may have found it in the customized Mark V 25 gallery, British Garnet with standard black jute grill, can't be too many of that combination floating around this early. So far, just unpacked it to inspect for contents and damage, very well packed. No cab at home, just a set of headphones, sounds fantastic so far.

Plan on hauling it to a friend's place on Friday, he has a few cabs kicking around. Still leaning towards matching mini Recto stack to mimic a vertical 2x12. I ordered this puppy on the strength of the intro video alone, Ch1 Crunch and Ch2 MarkII+ sold me on this amp, so far it sounds great through headphones, totally confident cabs will be even better. I also have a LSS and enough experience with Boogies to be 100% confident.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
I've only had a few days with mine, but this amp is flat out blowing me away. Simply incredible!

ledger

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the Mark V 25 & need some advice in regards to speaker and cabinet. I've been playing open back 1x12 combos for the past couple years.

What are the advantages of open or closed back cabs?
Anyone know if they make a hybrid open/closed cab?
Speaker recommendations? V30?

Thanks

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
Hey Dale,

I know it has way more gain than you would normally use, but I'll telling you that the three modes on channel 1 are more than most people would ever need and all sound INCREDIBLE! I think you'd especially dig the Fat mode with the gain up a bit, and the Crunch mode with it down some, for your bluesy stuff.

And then, every once in a while, when nobody is around, you could throw it over on channel 2 and headbang for a while. :dude

Dale

Hey Dale,

I know it has way more gain than you would normally use, but I'll telling you that the three modes on channel 1 are more than most people would ever need and all sound INCREDIBLE! I think you'd especially dig the Fat mode with the gain up a bit, and the Crunch mode with it down some, for your bluesy stuff.

And then, every once in a while, when nobody is around, you could throw it over on channel 2 and headbang for a while. :dude
Dude stop! My wife will make me sell something. I do however have some home support for headbanging...

Mason_ROCKON.jpg

Last edited:

Iceman63

Great, here we go again. I was close to pulling the trigger on one of these a couple of months ago. I need to sell some things off first. Then recently, have been jonesing to try the Sondano Hot Rod 25...if I had the funds, I would have probably ordered one.
Now back to looking at this V:25.
Is anyone using the graphic EQ as a solo boost per say? Playing crunch or channel 2 modes for rhythms w/EQ off, then footswitching on for solos?

Evo5150

Great, here we go again. I was close to pulling the trigger on one of these a couple of months ago. I need to sell some things off first. Then recently, have been jonesing to try the Sondano Hot Rod 25...if I had the funds, I would have probably ordered one.
Now back to looking at this V:25.
Is anyone using the graphic EQ as a solo boost per say? Playing crunch or channel 2 modes for rhythms w/EQ off, then footswitching on for solos?

I don't have the V:25 yet, but speaking from experience with the DC-5, the answer is yes. You can get a boost out of the GEQ, and when I played the V:25 for a couple hours, I noticed the same thing was achievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fitterhappier

I had the opportunity to play the V:25 for a bit today, and I was incredibly impressed! FYI - if anyone's in the Chicagoland area and is looking to audition/buy one, Goodtime Music in Streamwood had 4 or 5 on the floor.

I actually did a comparison at the shop between the V:25, ROV25 and the Express 5:25. Felt like the Express had a slight edge on the clean channel, but just slightly. The Crunch on the V:25 is superb - especially when the mid knob is pushed into boost territory. SO much fun to play. My reaction to the boosted crunch was nearly identical to Petrucci's in that video that was posted earlier - it's really that good.

All 3 modes on CH 2 were a delight - I found myself switching between MK II C+ and Xtreme most often - the latter of the two definitely has the aggression going for it. Being a typical high-gain guy, I usually play my amps with a boost in front, but found that even with a Strat (HSS mind you), I wasn't missing my boost when playing in Xtreme mode.

Regardless of 10/25 watt mode, I was able to dial in low/high volumes very easily with the master on both channels. The volume comes on quick after going past 9:00, but great tone at low volumes is definitely attainable on this amp (just about every position before 9:00 is usable). I was playing through a Recto 2X12, and it can definitely do bedroom volumes while sounding great. The ROV25 could not - that thing jumps up quick, especially in CH 2!

Thoughts on ROV25 vs. V:25 - the ROV25 is more 'in-your-face' aggressive, but lacks the finesse and versatility of the V:25. I could get away with the V:25 for some late night jamming - there's absolutely no way I could do it with the ROV25.

I was planning on getting an Express 5:25+ as my first Mesa, but my audition with the V:25 has changed everything. I'm sold.

nolenuttt

Platinum Supporting Member
Has anyone compared the Mark V 25 with the Mini Rec 25 side by side? I have the Mini rec in a combo, and love it-Looked for a separate thread, but didn't see one....

Evo5150

Has anyone compared the Mark V 25 with the Mini Rec 25 side by side? I have the Mini rec in a combo, and love it-Looked for a separate thread, but didn't see one....

Yeah, the post above you does a good job of describing the difference, but I've also compared them (and own a ROV25 myself). They're indeed pretty different, the Modern on the ROV is more aggressive for rhythm, but the Mark is more "singing" for leads and single note stuff. It's also tighter than the Recto, which is pretty normal. I found putting a Klon clone ahead of the ROV's Vintage setting to be the best tone on that amp.

The Pushed tone on the ROV can be bad with some futzing on the Mark, but I still prefer the ROV for that. Conversely, the Crunch setting on the Mark is pretty unique to it, again likely due to it being tighter.

They're definitely different enough that I'm getting the Mark as well. Then again, if I'm a fanboy of anything, it's with Mesa Boogie. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Silver Supporting Member

You have the mini rec in a combo? So you mean the Rectoverb 25 then right? As far as I'm aware the Mini Rec doesn't come in a combo, only a head.

At any rate, yes I have compared the Mark V:25 and Rectoverb 25 (same as mini rec except reverb) back to back twice now. And they are pretty different.
Obviously the Mark V:25 is more feature laden but I'll only discuss sounds here.

The Mini Rec/ Rectoverb 25 is much fatter and bigger sounding, lots of big thick low end. But you can still keep it reigned back and defined. It is also more crunchy sounding in its Channel 2. And this amp feels more like overdrive than distortion which I prefer. The ROV25 I think is better suited for rhythm and crunchy why the playing all around but the Mark V:25's Channel 1 Crunch setting is awesome too. The cleans are thicker and duller in comparison to the MKV:25 but don't get me wrong, they are still good.
Mark V:25 feels much more like distortion, way more midrange voiced - yet with the GEQ you can still make it very big sounding. The cleans are more chimey and bouncy compared to the MR/RV25. I think the cleans are better on the MKV:25, imo. The Mark V:25 has the potential to more easily sound like a smaller low wattage amp due to its strong midrange voicing, which can obviously be altered. The Mark V:25 is much more liquid aounsing and feeling and would be more 1st choice if I played mostly lead.

You obviously have way more sculpting options on the MKV:25 cuz of the extra voicing modes and GEQ.
Both are completely sifferent sounding amps and one could easily warrant owning both.

Evo5150

You have the mini rec in a combo? So you mean the Rectoverb 25 then right? As far as I'm aware the Mini Rec doesn't come in a combo, only a head.

At any rate, yes I have compared the Mark V:25 and Rectoverb 25 (same as mini rec except reverb) back to back twice now. And they are pretty different.
Obviously the Mark V:25 is more feature laden but I'll only discuss sounds here.

The Mini Rec/ Rectoverb 25 is much fatter and bigger sounding, lots of big thick low end. But you can still keep it reigned back and defined. It is also more crunchy sounding in its Channel 2. And this amp feels more like overdrive than distortion which I prefer. The ROV25 I think is better suited for rhythm and crunchy why the playing all around but the Mark V:25's Channel 1 Crunch setting is awesome too. The cleans are thicker and duller in comparison to the MKV:25 but don't get me wrong, they are still good.
Mark V:25 feels much more like distortion, way more midrange voiced - yet with the GEQ you can still make it very big sounding. The cleans are more chimey and bouncy compared to the MR/RV25. I think the cleans are better on the MKV:25, imo. The Mark V:25 has the potential to more easily sound like a smaller low wattage amp due to its strong midrange voicing, which can obviously be altered. The Mark V:25 is much more liquid aounsing and feeling and would be more 1st choice if I played mostly lead.

You obviously have way more sculpting options on the MKV:25 cuz of the extra voicing modes and GEQ.
Both are completely sifferent sounding amps and one could easily warrant owning both.

Great comparison, you said it better than I did. They're certainly different enough that owning both is dare I say a necessity. :D

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Silver Supporting Member
Great comparison, you said it better than I did. They're certainly different enough that owning both is dare I say a necessity. :D

And you said something I did not which is very true - the low end is tighter in the mark where the ROV25/Mini is looser but not too loose.

Owning both would be awesome :)

Evo5150

And you said something I did not which is very true - the low end is tighter in the mark where the ROV25/Mini is looser but not too loose.

Owning both would be awesome :)

Yeah, it's kind of got a different sag to the dynamics of it, different feel. Not as immediate, which is okay, just different.

6Tones

Checking out various demos on youtube.
Channel one sounds great.

Channel Two sounds a bit muddy and sterile am I alone in this opinion?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom