New Mesa Rectoverb 25 vs. old Rectoverb 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ToneCaptain, Apr 3, 2015.

1. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

Hi everyone,

I am very impressed by these 2 amps and can't decide which one to get...

So I am asking you who has experienced / played these two amps and is able to assess.
    If price was not a concern, how would you compare these two amps? I'm interested in tone comparison only. As in, for example, do they sound very similar or if different, in which way? Which one would you get and why?

I am leaning towards the original rectoverb 50 because I favour the additional headroom of the 2 6L6 vs 2 el84. I would be getting the head version. I've found a used rectoverb 50 for a good price, which is why I am unsure which one to get.

What are your experiences?
    Would be very helpful!

2. Traps

Traps Member

Forgive me is I missed this - are you talking combo or head?

I had and gigged with the combo 50 w Rectoverb. That amp was probably a 2005 model. It did great, loved the boost volume - BUT, I would run a 10 band EQ , all the time , thru the loop with some mid boost'age. Even when mated with a recto 1x12, it still sounded thin, and the eq really did the trick. The clean was just 'ok' - and live I did use the clean channel for 30% of the tunes. I very much enjoyed the amp while I was gigging with it (pop punk covers, Weezer, Green Day, Blink 182, and Chilli Peppers), but wanted some better clean sounds and went to an old Rivera 100w Knucklehead....

I can't comment on the Rectoverb head version as I've never played thru one.

Good luck!

3. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

Thanks!
    Yes I am talking the head version.

What besides the clean channel made you choose the Rivera? Other factors?

4. Traps

Traps Member

No. Maybe needing the clean headroom a 100watt head provides. So, ya, other than the cleans, it was just fine.

Also, come to think of it, I started reading TGP at that time.. and you know when you do that, your gear will be ever changing!

5. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Supporting Member

I have both. well a rectoverb 50 combo and the rectoverb 25 head. I defintely don't see clean headroom being an issue especially with the recto 50.

6. ToneCaptain

ToneCaptain Member

I ended up getting a series 1 rectoverb 50 head and a 2x12 recto vertical - couldnt be happier!! 50 watt has proven to be perfect for what I need