New Mesa Stiletto Ace EL34 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kselbee, Jan 21, 2006.

1. kselbee

kselbee Member

2. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Patience.............it`s not available yet. Just keep an eye on the sight:JAM

3. sws1

sws1 Member

What are these "Stage II" updates I see on the Stiletto? Anyone know?

Can I get them done to my Stiletto?

4. amper

amper Member

Apparently, they've been "revoiced". Mesa sometimes does this.

5. granite

granite Member

I would definitely like to see some pics of the combo. What interests me more is the "series II Roadking".

From Mesa's website on the Roadking II, "Improved Channel 1 & 2 now features CLEAN and FAT from our acclaimed Lone Star - our best clean ever - along with incredible new TWEED and BRIT modes. These two channels alone make a mighty amplifier.....All New, All-Tube Reverb also from the Lone Star is deeper, more lush and ambient and sticks tighter to the notes. Reverb control now rides in each Channel Strip.

6. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

[​IMG]

7. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

I played the 2x12 combo at a local music store. When I first plugged into it, it sounded awful. Terrible hum, no bass, harsh as hell. I then checked the tubes, one wasnt in the socket all the way. After correcting the problem I turned it on again. WHOA, Nice! Very nice hot rod marshall tone. Different tone than a dual rec or a MK IV. If you like the 80s marshall tone, this nails it. The cab has some low end to it too.

It turned out I was the first to play the amp since it arrived eariler that day at the store. That's why none of the staff noticed it.

All the new stilettos have the "hollywood mod" voicing now.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

My son got one of the earlier Stiletto deuce models, and for his style of rock, which can get pretty out there, it is absolutely wonderful. Really cuts in a band context.

I had heard some criticism of this model, but I think it's darn good in the right context.

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I played the new Stilletto at Grandmas' in Albequerque the other day...It's still pretty in your face aggression/attitude..Much more than my JMP's or JCM's were...tons of high mids to my ears...sounded to angry for my tastes

10. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I still liked the origional stilletto that I played. I'm seeing them pop up for sale used for like $800.

11. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

We've had one at our store for about a month. It is voiced different, than the "older" model. They are closed back,sound great, and could be the heaviest (weight) combo I have ever picked up.
    They do the hot-rodded Marshall thing very well, and have lots of low-end, for a combo.

12. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Boy, you guys have really lit the GAS under my arse now. Thanks alot!

P.S. Why does the U.K. seem to have these before the U.S.? (Google search)

13. Miles

Miles Member

I've tried out the ACE Head and 1x12 combo on separate occasions. Channel 1 was lush to crunch and I really enjoyed the tones. I've owned several boogies and so I was REALLY considering getting the head BEFORE going to channel 2. Once I hit channel two, dialed in very sensible settings, and CRSRRSCHCHRSRTTTCZ!!!!! Nothing but ice picks spewing out of the cabs. I asked the store owner if everything was alright, and he said "yeah, it sure is smooth isn't it?" AAAHHH!!! I tweaked for an hour (over-doing my lunch break) and left. There are some good tones in that amp, but if you're looking for a nice OD rock tone, go to the rectifier vintage settings (not modern). I A/B'd the stiletto with a dual rec on channel 2 vintage, and the dual recto was much warmer, smoother, and articulate. So, I left. I'm not a huge fan of dual recs and I don't consider them 'warm' amps, but it was much more usable than the stiletto. I was disappointed, because I really wanted to like the stiletto and even tried to talk myself into liking ice pick tones after leaving the store :(

Not one of Mesas finest amps IMO. Channel 1 is very nice, channel 2 is fizzy, razor sharp, and thin. The settings I was using were this:

Channel 2
    Middle setting (tite gain?)
    Gain 11:00
    Bass 1:00
    Mid 2:00
    Treble 10:00
    Presence 10:00
    Master 12:00
    Output 12:00

Unbearable. If you can't use most of the EQ, what's a guy to do?

BTW, I had these experiences with both amps. However, if I had to have one of them, it would be the 1x12 combo, not the 212 or head.​

14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Played one here in Chicago, I didn't like it, to in your face...probably great for certain things. Be sure to bring your spare back because you will need it. Mesas claim to fame 50 years from now will be "The company that built the worlds heaviest combos." Man, what a load.

15. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I had the exact same experience with my Stiletto deuce. Couldn't stand it! You know, I thought they would address this issue in the Ace, but sounds like they did not. I like mesas, and this amp, if it did not have that ice pick sound in the highs, I would have kept mine. IMHO it is the only thing holding this amp back from being great.

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Funny...
    I'm not even a rocker & can't stand ice pick distortion of any kind...
    but somehow tweaked this unit to creat great overdrive..
    that was immediate, yet fluid & smooth...

Guess it's all in the tweaking because,
    rarely if ever, do I turn treble or mids past three...
    Past 3 is immediately overkill in almost every case

17. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

Something sounds wrong because you should be able to dial in the crunch on each channel to sound identical. Something may have been up with that amp.

I think there are 2 things that would make the Ace sound a LOT better. A tube swap and swap out the V30 for an MC90. I don't know why Boogie didn't use the MC90 which IMHO is a much smoother sounding speaker.

18. Miles

Miles Member

Not for me. I can throw the EQ all over the place with the other two amps I own. Any amp as tempermental as the Stiletto isn't for me. I went back to warmer voxy tones anyways, so kind of in a different ball park. I really wanted to like the Stiletto ACE, and I even had the cash with me, when I found out there was one in town, just in case. So, I tried to like it and couldn't. I also started off with the mids at 10:00 and it did not help.

19. slotools

slotools Member

traded my stiletto ace head in on a fuchs tds 100-

viva la difference!!!!

I am now happy.......for now.