New MF catalog--all low to mid priced Gibsons have 'baked' maple or Obeche fretboards

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by overunderdrive, Jan 29, 2012.

1. overunderdrive

overunderdrive Senior Member

Well, looks like this has happened in a hurry.

Obviously they are trying to spin it as a 'feature' with 'benefits', but I'm not buying it for a second.

It would be one thing if the fingerboard material was an OPTION--like on Fender guitars, for example.

But it's not.

Lame.

2. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

:horse

Do a search, this subject had been discussed to death.

3. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

Personally, I really don't like rosewood, so I'm totally OK with this. I like the Richlite - I've had a few guitars with composite material fretboards and it doesn't bother me a bit - and the baked maple might actually improve the sound (for my tastes).

I think Gibson is being mighty emo about all this, with Henry really enjoying being able to play the victim, but honestly, exploring alternative materials is a good thing to me - Martin and others have been doing this for years, and look at Trussart, Flaxwood, and Parker. I say onward to the future!

4. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

I always love when the self appointed forum police decide to be moderator and let you know when the subject at hand is exhausted in their eyes. Of course, they could always just move on to another post. I suppose that could have also. What do I know.

5. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

So does Suhr--where are the incredulous posts about them?

6. belair

belair Member

Sounds like you may be a prospect for a Historic...

7. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

Did you miss that thread? Cuuuuuz it happened. People lost their minds. Even with Husky himself very patiently describing the material and their findings. Bless the TGP :mob Squad, keeping us safe from new ideas since 2001.

8. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Nothing gets past you, does it?

9. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

+1 completely.

10. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Indeed--didn't see the thread but can imagine how it went down. Straight up stupefying how apparently therapeutic it is for some folks to wax on and on about a company that they have no investment in. I mean, I own 5 Gibsons and had no idea who ran the company until I read it in one of the billion 'let's all tear our hair out because Gibson Musical Instruments makes me feel bad' threads. Asinine.

11. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I remember how people stopped playing guitar and music was never the same and the earth was plunged into eternal darkness when Brazilian rosewood was banned...or not.

12. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Sig worthy!

13. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

Eh, it's not as asinine as how theraputic people find it to think their tone is better because of fretboard wood or one piece tops.

Gibson defenders are WAY funnier (and more annoying) than Gibson haters. Anyone who goes out of thier way and denies the laws of physics and logic to justify spending so much on a hunk of lumber is far less annoying than someone who's like "Eh, SG's suck"

14. TomCray

TomCray Member

It may be just me, it may be because I'm sort of superficial, but I really don't give two dumps on fretboard material...BUT after years of conditioning, I do have an eye for dark fretboards.
    My only gripe on baked maple is that it looks too light for a Gibson, IMO it has no performance difference, but just looks wrong. And of the three obeche examples I saw, they all had these long cracks (is that normal? Is that just obeche grain?) up and down the neck, just looked cheap and wrong.

Again, I only judge them by my superficial eye, because I know my ears and brain ain't gonna tell me it's any different.

15. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

But Gibson builds their entire rep on being traditional and heritage. Baked maple doesn't really fit in with the image of preserving their past.

16. TomCray

TomCray Member

Here's the thing, I don't see them actually trying to preserve tradition and heritage, rather whore it out and ride it hard until it's left dried and dead.

Gibson has long past jumped the shark. Nothing screams traditional and heritage like the Firebird X, Shark Fin, Holy V, Eye Guitar, Zoot Suit, Hendrix Strat, Reverse V, Reverse Explorer, plus more I can't remember right now.

17. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

That's exactly my point. They've sold out their heritage, which is no big deal....IF THEIR ENTIRE MARKETING SCHEME WASN'T BRAGGING ABOUT THEIR HERITAGE

18. patentcad

patentcad Member

What other marketing scheme does Gibson employ other than this one? That's the one that appeals to me.

19. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Their latest thing is the laminated rosewood fretboards.