new mini crybaby takes 75% more foot movement despite smaller size

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joegagan, May 23, 2015.

1. joegagan

joegagan Supporting Member

the new mini crybaby takes 75% more foot travel to accomplish same sweep as regular wah. whether this is good or bad is personal taste. one thing is for sure. it takes a different technique.

i first noticed it when tuning our mini-talia ( world's first modded mini crybaby), so i had to break out the old measuring tools, see graphic below.

keep in mind, the quickest way to adjust to the new mini is to let your foot hang way over the front, as seen in dunlop demo vids. this puts the fulcrum in the same spot we are all used to.

important note. dunlop designed a brand new pot spec for the mini. they spread the taper out quite evenly through the sweep, so the player has much more control over expression. downside: if you are into the fast-quack, your leg and ankle will tire easily.

dunlop did a fantastic job on the engineering of this pedal. kudos to sam mccrae and the rest of the team over there. very impressive. this is not your dad's crybaby ( not even your older brother's'!). 3 times more precise, engineering-wise.

2. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

So, the pedal spreads the same control range into less than double the arc of travel, allowing more control. Is that correct?

3. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

new mini crybaby takes 75% more foot movement despite because of smaller size

joegagan likes this.
  4. joegagan

ERG Explorer, That is correct. I noticed that a lot more in-between tones are available. A rough guess is that it is double, given that the standard hotpotz1 & 2 have a dead spot ( flat ramp) at either top or bottom.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  5. joegagan

telecasteur i understanding you thought you were making a tongue in cheek correction.

i stand by my original statement. because this was a clean sheet of paper for dunlop, there were no givens in the parameters. your statement presumes ' all things being equal" which they are not.

they could have made it the same, narrower or wider. the small size did not dictate this, their design choices did.

6. joegagan

i went into my stash of odd wah gears and swapped the stock 14 tooth gear for a 12 tooth. improved the feel quite a bit. i put an extra rubber on the back end to limit travel a tiny bit, and measured the pot at both ends to make sure it was 0 to 104k , worked!

7. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

I just got one and really like it. Fits on both my boards, very easy to use, weighs next to nothing, but solid construction. Dynamic sounds, too. Right now, I like the middle/vintage setting for my strat.

joegagan likes this.
  8. DavidE

DavidE Member

I wouldn't say because of. The AMT is about the same size and it doesn't have near the sweep of the Dunlop.

joegagan likes this.