• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New mini (nano) Deluxe Memory Man

InkStained

I was just in another thread the other day talking about how the DMM XO may arguably be overrated -- but you still have to have one.

Now, it looks like you "have" to have two -- this one offers a smaller enclosure, standard 9 volts, quieter operation.

If it truly is quieter, that's great.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds pretty good. The modulation is a little different from vintage ones and the repeats sound a little dirtier and a bit less "gooey" but based on the demo it sounds more than decent.

that said, my experience with Nano/XO EHX pedals is not good. I was a huge fan of the original polychorus pedal and the XO one was absolute garbage. Sounded decent in demos, but the stereo scope was narrow, the depth of the chorus was not right, the clock noise was insane and the flange and filter matrix modes couldn't do any of the magic sounds of the original. The reality is that these remakes are trying to replicate the sound of chips that don't exist anymore and try to do it using 9v power to replicate the circuit of a 24v pedal. I think if you go into the experience with the idea that you might get a great sounding delay pedal with mod it could be a great pedal. If you are trying to get a 1:1 replacement of an original unit you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

woolyh

Not exactly, i think they will have a charge pump up to 24v in there- so effectively same maybe?
Yeah was thinking they might use a charge pump to get it to 18v (24v with a 12v PSU). Is it known if this was used on the DMM w/Tap Tempo? They also operated at 9v. Guess if there's a very high MA rating that would give a clue.

Either way looks ace :aok

Sounds pretty good. The modulation is a little different from vintage ones and the repeats sound a little dirtier and a bit less "gooey" but based on the demo it sounds more than decent.

that said, my experience with Nano/XO EHX pedals is not good. I was a huge fan of the original polychorus pedal and the XO one was absolute garbage. Sounded decent in demos, but the stereo scope was narrow, the depth of the chorus was not right, the clock noise was insane and the flange and filter matrix modes couldn't do any of the magic sounds of the original. The reality is that these remakes are trying to replicate the sound of chips that don't exist anymore and try to do it using 9v power to replicate the circuit of a 24v pedal. I think if you go into the experience with the idea that you might get a great sounding delay pedal with mod it could be a great pedal. If you are trying to get a 1:1 replacement of an original unit you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.
The old big-box EHX pedals sounded better than their smaller counterparts in most cases.

Moderato

9V and separate Rate and Modulation knobs... different circuit imho, Im guessing a brighter Nano Toy using the DMM name... will wait for more demos but Im on the skeptical side

It doesn't sound exactly like the originals to my ears, but still pretty good. I'd like to hear some demos focusing on the modulation. Is there a way to choose between chorus/vibrato, or is it just a vibrato-ish chorus?

I'm curious to know if this pedal is using the new MN3005 chip that Xvive is manufacturing and is being used in their Echoman as well as the Pigtronix Constellator. It would make a lot of sense for EHX to do so.

macrossgeorge

Silver Supporting Member
I find it slightly annoying/confusing that they did not put the word nano on the graphic. It has the exact same name as the standard size one this one which will confuse some sellers/buyers

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom