• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New mini (nano) Deluxe Memory Man

JoyceRoadStudios

Silver Supporting Member
Does this happen with the feedback knob at minimum? It looked like it was at noon throughout the video. How are you powering it?

Yes this happens with the feedback knob even at zero, just checked. I’m powering it using the included adapter that came with the box. I also tried it with a d’addario adapter, then a fender engine room. Tried several wall areas.

This distortion only happens with the delay knob completely off. As soon as I turn it just a little it’s as if the delay is activated and the oscillating distortion is gone. But what if I want to use the pedal without the delay, full wet, just for some modulation? Seems like a defect?

Tung-Sol Tube

Yes this happens with the feedback knob even at zero, just checked. I’m powering it using the included adapter that came with the box. I also tried it with a d’addario adapter, then a fender engine room. Tried several wall areas.

This distortion only happens with the delay knob completely off. As soon as I turn it just a little it’s as if the delay is activated and the oscillating distortion is gone. But what if I want to use the pedal without the delay, full wet, just for some modulation? Seems like a defect?
This is definitely not normal on any DMM I’ve used. Maybe contact EHX or where you bought it from?

JoyceRoadStudios

Silver Supporting Member
This is definitely not normal on any DMM I’ve used. Maybe contact EHX or where you bought it from?

you hear that oscillating distorting noise right?? I wondered if perhaps all of them did that so I’m asking other nano owners to check. I already reached out to ehx and the seller…

Last edited:

Tung-Sol Tube

you hear that oscillating dostorting noise right?? I wondered if perhaps all of them did that so I’m asking other nano owners to check. I already reached out to ehx and the seller…
Yep. As you mentioned, it seems to pulse along with the LFO rate.

I don’t have a Nano, but the XO, big box, and tap tempo units definitely don’t do this. Hopefully, a Nano owner can chime in and confirm if this behavior is aberrant.

JoyceRoadStudios

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Nano DMM here that I've just reviewed for guitar.com and it definitely does not make that noise.

thank you for confirming. It was listed as mint on reverb.com so I’ve reached out. I believe ehx charges $25 plus shipping for out of warranty repair.

Scott57

Sorry for the delay but I can now confirm that my DMM Nano does not do that with the delay know turned down.

MrClarinet

I’m interested in the Nano, but am wondering if anyone has compared it to the little Memory Toy? The latter sounds great in demos, and people seem to love it. The size and price are super tempting, but if the Nano sounds better, it’s still reasonable. Does the drive control sound nice like on the old boxes?

I tend to run multiple delays at once, and do not currently have space for my lovely 90s big box DMM (it’s living at a friend’s house). I also have the XVive Echoman and Meet Maude.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I’m interested in the Nano, but am wondering if anyone has compared it to the little Memory Toy? The latter sounds great in demos, and people seem to love it. The size and price are super tempting, but if the Nano sounds better, it’s still reasonable. Does the drive control sound nice like on the old boxes?

I tend to run multiple delays at once, and do not currently have space for my lovely 90s big box DMM (it’s living at a friend’s house). I also have the XVive Echoman and Meet Maude.
The Nano has much brighter repeats, and of course, more volume and modulation options. Both great

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
About my wonky nano, I heard back from EHX and they confirmed it’s probably one or both BBD ICs gone bad, or a timing circuit issue, and they want to service it. I was able to return it to the seller, and all is good. So I’ll buy another one this week…
That's great. Always nice for a happy resolution.

I do hope you get another Nano though. It's a great pedal when it's working properly!

Scott57

For those of you who find the smaller knobs frustrating, they're easy enough to swap out for something better with a bit more grip and easier to turn:

index.php

Crediting @Jess 1971 for the idea.

I used blue knobs for the modulation pots though.

20220113_092516 (002).png

JoyceRoadStudios

Silver Supporting Member
That's great. Always nice for a happy resolution.

I do hope you get another Nano though. It's a great pedal when it's working properly!

Oh yeah totally, I thought it sounded really good, surprisingly so, and I had a modded xo and a 90s big box attached 3 prong pointy knob no mods to compare it to. Perhaps the big box has more colorful atmosphere and more glorious goop, but it also had some tone suck or signal suck overall. Would be the holy grail delay obviously on a big board with a TB loop switcher. Anyway the nano was good enough that I let go of the other dmms. However, my dmm kick is on a crash course with a Suhr Discovery I pre-ordered for March, so I fully expect the Suhr to end my search, but you never know…

JoyceRoadStudios

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks!

Has anyone done a side-by-side with the Nano and the Xvive Echoman?

not a side-by-side, but I had the echoman for a few months last year, and the nano just last week. My impression is the echoman sounds murkier overall, and the tone of the initial note seems duller and occluded. Nano is brighter and the modulation is at least big box dmm adjacent, if not exactly as awesome. Something about the overall dullness of the echoman made me return, though as a pedal in its own right it’s not bad…

The Whiz

My big box dmm is in need of repair. For the cost of shipping it off to analogman for repair across the canuckistan border I’m thinking maybe just pick up a nano for now. Hmmm.

MrClarinet

not a side-by-side, but I had the echoman for a few months last year, and the nano just last week. My impression is the echoman sounds murkier overall, and the tone of the initial note seems duller and occluded. Nano is brighter and the modulation is at least big box dmm adjacent, if not exactly as awesome. Something about the overall dullness of the echoman made me return, though as a pedal in its own right it’s not bad…

Thanks! Sounds like the upgrade is worthwhile.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom