new mixed and mastered songs from my new cd

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by jb70, Aug 28, 2008.

1. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

hey y'all,
    i just got my new cd's from discmakers earlier today. they will be available through cd baby in a few days and will also be up on itunes, rhapsody, etc... in a few weeks. i put 4 of the mixed and mastered versions on my myspace and soundclick pages if you want to hear how they turned out (not that it matters with the mp3 compression) :)

2. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Very cool Jack! Dig the grooves and the playing. Did you do all the programming and keys work as well?

3. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

hey thanks guitarbrent. yep, i did all of the programming and keys. that's why it took so friggen long!!! :D

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Wow Jack ...
    I'm blown away ... you are truly a contender my friend on many levels ..
    Very enjoyable compositions and great playing ...

Simply excellent work ...

I remember how I was blown away by your playing the first time I heard you ...
    & now your compositions and programming adds a few more levels to your accomplisments ....

Man, you've got some huge ears my friend ...
    If I didn't know it was you ... at times I would swear it was Mitch Watkins ...

Very hip Jack ... very hip ....!!

BTW ... what chorus are you using (it's a great sounding one ...)?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  5. mike walker

mike walker Member

6. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

Hi Jack I,ve just had breakfast listening to you,re four tracks. :phones Fantastic stuff you,re playing throughout is amazing. The chords in "Current" just unfold and the track builds really well. You,re melodies have a trade mark octave displacment thing going on. And "Nu Sounds For The O" sounds like all my favorite influences in one....................I see nothing but good coming out of this for you. :AOK

7. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Excellent Jack - real nice work.

Programmed yourself - jeee that's scary.

8. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Great job Jack...all by yourself huh? Jeez. Adventurous stuff & great playing.

9. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

thanks joe! you da man. mitch watkins! wow. there's a blast from the past. i used to listen to him back in the early 90's- i should probably look him up and see what he's been into. thanks for the kind words. as far as the chorus goes- you're gonna laugh- it was recorded using amplitube 2 software. so it's the little chorus pedal simulation in amplitube! haha.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  10. scottl

scottl Member

Genius stuff Jack. Count me in for a copy. Sounds great. Listening to Currents now.... I always catch a little of KR compositional influence in there. Great. Solo is monster bro....

11. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

First off, a hearty congratulations, Jack! Isn't that such a wonderful feeling when all your little babies show up? second, you know what a badass you are, so no need to be redundant here. :) I can't wait to hear the whole thing!:phones

12. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

thanks for checking out the tunage mike!

13. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

hi bub,
    thanks for listening- i hope i didn't ruin your breakfast! haha! i had studied with charlie banacos for a year and a half before i moved out to nyc and i think a lot of the stuff that we were working on surfaced in the song "current". charlie would pick a chord, give me 2 triads to work with, and write out a sample line using those triads. it's very similar to the stuff in walt weiskopf's book. he really opened my ears up to new sounds. anyways... again, thanks for listening!

14. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Good lord! Well, I'm a fan! Especially loved "Nu Sounds..." - much danger in that solo!

15. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Sounds great Jack, congrats!
    My head is spinning thinking about the work that went into that.
    Best of luck!

Chuck

16. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

that rocks. personally i would've liked to hear funkier live drums. the tracks are great, the drums a little square. merely my opinion, no malice intended. i like it.

17. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

hey crzyfngers,
    thanks for your comment! the square drums are due to my lack of programming experience :) i have tried some of this material with an acoustic quintet but it didn't have the right feel or the right texture. i'm thinking that it might be cool to eventually have a live drummer playing along with loops (the best of both worlds). for now, i'm treating this like i would a jazz recording, in that this is where i was as a writer/player/programmer/mixer/producer at the time and hopefully everything will just get better from here. thanks again bro.

jack

18. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

hey woody and andy,
    thanks guys. yeah, it was a great learning experience doing it all on my own and hopefully i'll get better and faster at this stuff. one thing i know for sure- the guitar tones will be waaayyy better on the next one due to the purchase of an axe fx ultra. those thingys are insane!!! thanks again bros!

jack

19. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

yo scott,
    thanks bro. that means a lot coming from a bad mofo like yourself! i'll let you know when the cd is actually available online. i love kurt and have been a big fan of his for a while now so i'm sure some of his writing has rubbed off on me. you should check out his new double live cd- it sounds like he's been checking out allan holdsworth :eek:

20. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Listened again Jack, and am really loving the blend of energetic confidence, harmony and phrasing in Current. I love how you harm the opening bass figure! I also really enjoy the electronic textures balanced by your chewy organic guitar tones. I read you somewhat disparaging comments about them in another thread, but come on! They are fantastic. It is the natural tone I associate with you and your playing. I’m sure you will be able to get the Axe FX reasonably close to that by working with the Dumble and Trainwreck tonestacks – perhaps the Brownface too if you try.