New MXR Carbon Copy vs. Old Boss DM-2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Guitar Dave T, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Anyone done an A/B comparison on the two? Thoughts/observations?

I've got an old DM-2 Analog Delay and am considering replacing with the true-mechanical-bypass MXR pedal.

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

I compared the mxr carbon w the ad999 and the maxxon isn't any better 'sounding' IMO, but is much more flexible. the knobs just seem to have a wider range of function. I ended up buying the carbon copy and I'm very happy w it.

3. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I don't follow - are you saying the ad999 was more flexible? Then why did you go with the MXR CC?

4. txbluzmn

txbluzmn Member

Probably because the Maxon was $400 and the CC is only $150.

Paul Byrd

5. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

ah, yeah, the maxxon was more flexible but that didn't warrant 2x the price, plus the modulation switch on the carbon sealed the deal.

6. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Carbon Copy has a longer delay time and has modulation. On the other hand, the DM-2 is warmer sounding.

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Hi Paul, thanks for the PM reply.

To everyone, I've got the DM-2 packed away and will take it by GC today for an a/b comparison. Will post results here.

8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Love the warmth of the DM-2, but sometimes find it muddies things up a bit. Have backed off the regen to 1 repeat, which helps some.

Also, there is a slight tone impact having the DM-2 in the chain switched off, but will really be listening this afternoon to the switched-on impact on the basic, un-repeated guitar tone, since an outboard true-bypass pedal is not difficult to wire up.

9. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I respectfully disagree- I had both at the time and the AD999 is much better sounding. The CC also wanted to go into oscillation way too easily which I didn't like. DM-2 is also better sounding than the CC IMO, but not enough delay time for my needs.

10. drod2045

drod2045 Member

Cool! :)

11. jayn

jayn Member

I've got both. Tone of both is really nice. I like the longer delays and modulation of the CC, but, after having it on my pedal board for a few months, I've gone back to the simplicity and sound of the DM-2. It also, IMO, sits better in the band mix (singer/songwriter roots rock...fairly low volume, small clubs). For some reason, the way I set it, the CC got lost in the mix. The DM-2 is warm and dark, but works better with the band.

That said, I'm doing a duo show in an theatre style room with the singer/songwriter in mid-March and I'm going to use the CC since it will be audible with just the two of us. Guitar --> CC --> non-verb Princeton, mic'd. Should sound sweet.

12. NBarnes21

NBarnes21 Member

This pretty much sums it up, I did an a/b comparison the other day.

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Ok, here's my a/b comparison - pardon the delay in getting back to everyone on this; It's been an incredibly busy last 3 days.

The Setup

I spent a lot of time a/b'ing both my Boss DM-2 and the MXR Carbon Copy, using an RW Telecaster and Strat, courtesy of Hunter at GC Central Dallas, through a '59 Bassman Reissue, a '65 Twin Reverb Reissue (Jensen C12n's sure sound good in that beast - warms it up and takes away some of the 'hi-fi') and a '65 Super Reverb reissue.

Things were slow at GC, so Hunter and a customer volunteered to provide a couple extra sets of ears.

Used both delays with different OD pedals, including VL Sparkedrive, Jetter GSR, Hermida Zendrive and Fulltone OCD (the winner in that shootout was the Jetter GSR, though I felt it was a tie with the Sparkledrive for its ultra transparent old-school Tube Screamer tone, which just works for me with single coils).

The Results

Subjective impressions: The DM-2 was a little warmer sounding and a little more spacy/ambient when we matched the regen count, mix and delay speed between the two. The CC was a little more utility sounding, with more separation between the original guitar signal and the delayed signal, even though both pedals were set to the same delay time/speed.​

After some critical listening we came to some mutual conclusions why this is so:
    1. The duration of the delayed signal with the CC is shorter than with the DM-2. Otherwise, the delayed tone is actually hard to differentiate. This is probably the #1 reason that the DM-2 appears warmer. It certainly accounts for the separation between the dry and delayed signal on the CC. It also means the DM-2 has more of an ambient feel for the Gilmore-esque stuff.​
    2. When the delay is turned on, the DM-2 removes some of the dry guitar signal's bottom end. Probably not intentional, but causes the original and delayed signals to blend a little more, further adding to the DM-2's overall ambient quality. Edit: I actually prefer a less-messed-with, more original sounding undelayed signal in the delay mix. For me, this was a plus for the CC.​
    I found these two observations to be reasons to like both pedals. The DM-2 has a cool ambience, and the CC does an excellent job of preserving and separating the guitar's original signal. Plus the CC has a much longer delay time (edit: longer delay time, shorter delayed signal duration), comparable to a digital delay, but with analog coolness. At the end of the day, everyone agreed it would not be worth selling the DM-2 in order to "upgrade" to the CC, but that the CC would be a cool addition. I will go back for the CC one day this week.​

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    Iversen likes this.
  14. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

And just to be clear, if you don't want David Gilmore, space-ambience, but would rather have a flexible analog delay that doesn't screw with the undelayed note, the MXR Carbon Copy is definitely the way to go.

15. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

thanks Dave, I always enjoy your posts

I have a CC and am looking to supplement it to my board at some point.

I have an old Boss RV-3 and I could see these working well together, but only have so much room on my board :)

16. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

That's the other problem - board real estate. When I pick up the CC, I will probably build a separate mini-board with a tuner, single OD and delay. Then plan on switching the DM-2 and CC back and forth until I figure what works best with what.

17. Iversen

Iversen Member

Thanks a lot for posting this. I have an old DM-2 that I thought about trading in for a Carbon Copy. I doubt there's a better analysis of the difference between the two out there. Great work!

18. the dirty tricks

the dirty tricks Member

Cool review,I have a DM3.....slightly different but I have done a similar comparison (not as good as yours!) and would agree with your findings. The DM pedals are quite dark,but they still find a good place in the mix! Great stuff!