New MXR made in China?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by progholio, Jul 23, 2008.

1. progholio

progholio Supporting Member

Just curious if anyone knows the answer to this: the newer MXR pedals that are now touted as "True Hardwire Bypass" like the Carbon Copy Analog Delay and Silicon Fuzz w/BC108 trannies seem like they are packed with some nice features at a very reasonable price point.
    You'll have to pardon my skepticism since Dunlop has made similar claims about "true bypass" in the past that simply wasn't true (pun intended). I suspect (as many companies are doing now) that this stuff is outsourced to hold the price point while greatly increasing the margins. Is Dunlop the latest to go "Made In China"?

2. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

It's almost a "given" if you're selling an analog delay at that price-point, do we really have to ask?

3. progholio

Well, yes i do have to ask.
    When a company owns an iconic American brand name and calls itself Jim Dunlop USA i think it's a little decptive when they aren't forthcomming about where the product is actually manufactured. Maybe you know this stuff is outsourced but a lot of people don't, thinking they are buying american made goods. I don't think it hurts at all to know the facts in order to make a decision on where a person spends their money.
    In fact, i would like to see the publications that review all of this stuff clearly state the country of origin for each product they review. It's not much to ask really.

4. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

the only problem with that is you will feel all warm and fuzzy, but will still not know the truth...which is, all they have to do is complete the "power" part of the circuit here and they can still call it "American Made."
    I could be wrong, but that's what I hear.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  5. IvIark

IvIark Member

I still can't understand why MXR don't spend an extra 15c per pedal and make them really really true bypass. It's not hard. I like a lot of the MXR pedals but because they leave the input connected on bypass I refuse to use them because the difference is obvious to me compared to the tone without the pedal in the chain.

I'd much prefer a buffer than the botched system they mostly use. One day they may wake up.

6. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I don't think they are made in China. All USA still.

7. progholio

I'm sure they are feeling the pinch since there is a boutique market that has superior built versions of just about any classic MXR or Cry Baby branded product that is only slightly higher cost than any of the current Jim Dunlop products. I was hoping they were upping the ante a little to try to compete but if they are outsourcing they are missing the boat. I'll stick with the little guys.