New MXR Mini Boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by philamag87, Jul 13, 2017.

1. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

So does rolling back the trim pot eliminate the 'echoplex' side of the colouring and just leave the Microamp side?

2. ken374

ken374 Member

And does it add or reduce bass? Or treble?

3. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I like that it has gain and tone knobs, but seems like one of those pedals that by the time the gain knob is giving you the goods, the volume is way too loud. Perhaps balancing with the internal trim pot is the key...?

4. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

It adjusts the total amount of gain being boosted. Mid position is 19.5 full tilt is 25 db.

LordByron likes this.
  5. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

I bought an MXR Micro-Amp circuit board from General Guitar Gadgets in order to build a simulation of the input of the dbx163x. That won't end up costing much.

6. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

Prymaxe has 21% off. Grab one!

7. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

I think so. I rolled it all off and only hear a tinge.

8. AnishD

AnishD Member

Hey all,
    Long time browser here. Just bought one of these, so decided to make an account and share my thoughts. I've had this boost for about a week and have experimented with it a fair bit. Some observations:
    1. When both the external gain and internal trim are at zero, the pedal is not at unity. It is less. You can achieve unity by turning up either or both knows (albeit just a little).
    2. I understand the need for space saving in a mini pedal, but I really wish the echoplex control was on the outside. It's such a pain to adjust, it's like it doesn't want you to. I basically set it at unity when the external gain is off, just to add the "special sauce" of the echplex.
    3. There are comments that the gain knob is jumpy. I don't find that to be the case. What I find is that there is a lot of gain. As such, small turns of the knob have significant effect. I'd be happy with about half the boost, but it's there.
    4. The tone knob is interesting. It is a high cut. When set at full, it is more of less transparent. As you dial it back, it cuts highs, but doesn't affect lows. At first I wondered why they would add this. But once I started playing with the gain knob (the Micro amp portion), I appreciated it. The external gain adds a bit of sparkle that sounds good when the gain is low, but gets hissy when cranked. Dialing back the tone allows you to find that sweet spot where the hiss is dialed out. I find the sweep of the tone knob to be usable and musical throughout. Another nice use is to tame bright pickups. I have a Dimarzio Injector in the neck of my strat, which is very bright. Dialing back to about 2 o'clock on the tone warms it up nicely.

I made some iPhone recordings for a friend, then noticed that they don't sound half bad through good speakers. At least they give an idea of what the pedal does, so I've uploaded them here in case anyone is interested.

I'm playing a Fender Strat with Dimarzios (injector neck and Air Zone bridge HB) into an Orange OR-15. Some delay/reverb added throughout.

For the Lead clips, I start with the dry signal, guitar vol and tone wide open, Orange gain at 10 o'clock. Through the clips, I switch on the pedal at unity, then gradually increase the external gain until maxed. For the Rhythm clip, I cycle through a couple rifs with and without the boost at unity, then for the crunchy rhythm part, I turn the external gain to 9 o'clock towards the end.

Hope these are helpful. Let me know if any questions.

Anish

jamme61, Ozan, valvestate and 5 others like this.
  9. AnishD

AnishD Member

Ok, I need to figure out how to upload my clips...

Crimson Queen likes this.
  10. radioboyeric

radioboyeric Member

Bump

Would like to hear about this pedal since it just came out over a month ago.

11. Lef T

Lef T Member

Yes!

FenderBigot likes this.
  12. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Anyone know if the echoplex circuit is always on or is it just on when pedal engaged?

stahlhart and markw1980 like this.
  13. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

id like to be able to have echoplex circuit on all the time and then be able to use clean boost as opposed to just getting echoplex sound when boost is on

14. monty

monty Member

That would be sweet. They would sell a kazillion of them.

FenderBigot likes this.
  15. AnishD

AnishD Member

I never figured out how to upload my clips, but I can tell you that the echoplex circuit is not always on. It's only on when the pedal is engaged. Using the external and internal controls, you choose how much of each circuit (echoplex via the internal trim and micro amp via the external knob) you want, and then that's the combination you get when you engage the pedal.

As mentioned in my review above, when both controls are at minimum, you are below unity. As far as my ear can tell, if you keep the echoplex trim at zero, there is no coloration from it. As I increase the external boost, it is essentially a clean boost. When the echoplex is increased even a little bit, it adds its "special sauce". Even as you increase the external boost, that special sauce remains in effect.

I'd be happy to email the clips to anyone if interested. Or if someone can help me upload? Thanks.

Anish

16. guitarmania

guitarmania Member

Welcome to the forum. Excellent in depth review! It was really helpful. Thank you.

17. markw1980

markw1980 Member

I’m wondering the exact same thing!

18. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Been very interested in this pedal for size and function to push other overdrives. Just dont see much about it written up or clips.

19. johnlooz

johnlooz Member

Very interested in this question as well. Can anyone answer? I’m curious how close it comes to an EP Booster. I like that EP fattens the signal with added bass, but I like the amount of grit available and the tone knob on the MXR.

20. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Just got one of these today. Man does it have major volume on the external knob. I wanted something small to replace the Mooer Pure Boost I've been using. The Mooer sounds sterile and stiff, I had the Xotic EP a few times (loved it with my tele, but that bass kick was too much for every other guitar). The MXR has a more subdued "EP" voice, it's a rich sheen that has a touch of gain boost. Sounds stellar with my tele and strat. I didn't run the PRS DGT into this pedal yet. I used the MXR Booster to kick my Green Rhino and it's a great pair. The MXR doesn't sound harsh pushing the Rhino, nor did it sound harsh pushing the burn channel on my Mesa Express. I like the tone "treble cut" knob. I've found it great from 4 oclock to 1 oclock. I upped the internal EP trimmer a quarter turn for more of the "special sauce". I picked this pedal up for $70 on reverb. Definitely a keeper on my board.

Ozan, monty and ken374 like this.