New MXR Script Phase 90 = Great!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Picked up the new Script Phase 90 at NAMM from Dunlop. Can get it with or without an LED. It sounds REALLY good, like a really good ol' creamy Phase 90. Much better than the Script on EVH (had one) and it appears to be true bypass!! (Plugged in a non-connected AC adaptor and it still passes signal when switched off!). Think the list is something like $129.00.

I for one am a VERY happy guy...love the sound and it is still one of the best phasers working well both before or after an OD etc. :D

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

That is definitely one of the most persistent myths I've ever come across... and no amount of information seems to be able to kill it :mad:

Anyway, with that off my chest :D, the fact that a pedal passes signal without power does not mean that it is true bypass. In fact, all of the worst tone-suckers (old Electro-Harmonix, MXR, wah pedals etc) will pass signal when powerless. To check for TB, you have to verify that the input to the circuit is physically disconnected from the input jack in bypass mode, something you need to open the pedal up to do. Since none of the other MXR pedals are TB, I'd be extremely surprised if this one was. But I suppose it's not too late for a miracle... ;)

All that nonwithstanding, it sounds like a cool pedal. I'd be really interested in seeing the insides of it - I wonder if they've tried to recreate the script circuit (complete with the six single op-amps and all), or just its sound (using modern pcb techniques and surface mount components). I'm guessing the latter, but one can always dream...

/Andreas

3. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Haven't been able to find any info on this anywhere. Is this for real? Do you have a pic? When are they going to be released?

4. woude

woude Member

I'm highly interested as well! :JAM

5. doublea

doublea Member

Me too! Post a pic of the guts if you can.

6. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

A "EVH Phase 90"-like pedal without the extraneous endorsement fluff just has to be a winner. I'm in.

7. Craise

Craise Member

What's up with the phase 90 in a orange wah box they have in musician's friend catalog? Not a single peep about it....might be cool! :)

8. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

I didn't want to pack extra for the EVH name and BLOCK mode anyway...

9. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

You're missing the point: unavailable pedals are cool... ;)

10. entraind

entraind Member

The Phase 90 in the wah box does look interesting if a little pricey (199$)...

Anyone played one of these yet?

Here's the URL and blurb:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=151123

The Phase 90 with foot control!

From the MXR Custom Shop, the Variphase is a killer twist on the classic Phase 90. Variable speed control is operated by your foot, adding a shimmery velocity to lead passages or a more dramatic swoosh to muted strumming. Vary the speed from a subtle, long cycle to a fast, watery warble, and everything in between! On/off switch, volume, and mix controls. Uses 9V battery or optional ECB-03 power supply.

MXR CSP-001 Variphase Pedal Features:

Variable foot-controlled speed
    Volume and mix controls
    Runs on 9V battery or optional ECB-03 power supply
    If you love the sounds of the Phase 90 but want more realtime control, the Variphase is for you! Call or click to order now!

11. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Sorry I did not see all the responses. What I know...

1 - It may be in fact hard bypass, not true bypasss and I don't play loud/live but I do not hear any tone suck...(being as old as I am I don't hear much of anything!)
    2 - They showed two versions of the Scipt model; with, without LED and the pedal version as metioned above.
    3 - Have opened it up and pulled out the curcuit board that says "EVH Phase 90" and there is a blank area where the "Script" button would be.
    4 - All surface mount, 4 FET's, one TINY chip, jacks, pot and footswitch mounted to the board as with most other new MXR pedals.
    5 - Pot shaft is plastic, but it would be easy to replace the pot and solder wires to the board.
    6 - Sounds REALLY good to me, has that old "mojo" and a bright red LED. I did not care for the EVH paint or blindingly bright blue LED. Also kept it in Script mode all the time.
    7 - Seems a wee bit smaller than the EVH but is heavy.
    8 - The finish is smooth and the box has rounded corners like the original - color seems spot on.
    9 - Think the list price is going to be @ $129 so it should street at @ $80 new.

I will take a picture but trust me when I tell you it looks exactly like a Script 90 with an LED and hole to power with an adaptor. Much heavier than the current standard "Phase 90" which has more of a square box.

BTW - how do you upload pictures? My profile says I cannot.

Thanks! :angel

12. Craise

Craise Member

yeah...I guess I missed the point?:jo Twice!
    Yeah I was highjacking the thread with the footcontrolled phase 90
    sorry about that...but since it's already shown some interest!
    yes...just noticed that the footcotroller has volume and mix knobs...
    I always wanted these on my phase 90. I wonder if it's newer phase 90 sound
    or script. Most likely newer phase 90 I'm sure. As for the original post...
    I would love to hear from someone that compares it side by side with
    a real bud box script logo. I owned a newer phase 90 that was modded by mxr custom shop with the r29? switch and it didn't compare with the bud box I owned at the time. Close and in the ballpark but in no way nails it. :cool:

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

It sounds to me like the licensing for the EVH name and graphics is about to expire, and MXR realizes that the people want Script all the time anyway.

I like my EVH Phase 90 quite a bit. I use both modes too. There are some things that I thought would have required Script, but actually sound more authentic when played on Block. I had mine modded for true bypass FOR REAL and it's a keeper.