New MXR Si Fuzz - Buffer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lightningrt, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

OK I know that the buffer threads are here on TGP, and based on reading them [ phew my brain hurts when I read 'em] my understanding is that buffers and Fuzz Face-style fuzzes shouldn't mix well - some say keep the FF away from any buffer, which suggests either before or after.

Have MXR come up with a really good idea, in that you can switch the buffer on or off, or is it just a waste of time?

I'm confused?

The reason I ask this is that I have had problems with some TBP Si fuzzes interacting with my Mojo Vibe and lowering volume when switched on at the same time [yes I know there was a thread on that too], so I'm thinking! Will the buffer help?

Sorry if I'm going over old ground.

2. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

3. b_rad

b_rad Member

I like the idea. It makes the pedal work better with Wahs, so it might help if the Vibe is an issue. I think they did a great job on this pedal.

4. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

The MXR is on my Christmas list

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Different types of buffers....

A buffer bypass pedal (like a Boss or Ibanez) doesn't work well if placed before a fuzz or transistor boost pedal (like a Rangemaster clone for example) and often ruins the dynamics of said pedal and really messed with the overall tone. Now, there is another issues wiht these types of pedals...the fuzz pedals and transistor boost pedals...they don't work well wiht wah pedals of any kind...so there is a different type of buffer to fiz the fuzz/wah issue...

This style buffer is used in RMC wah pedals, some Area 51 wah pedal's and is even sold as a stand alone box by AnalogMan in case your wah does not have a buffer.

Now, the buffer that is in the new MXR Si Fuzz is that type of buffer...it makes it work with a non buffered wah pedal (like a Dunlop, Budda, Vox, etc) and has nothing to do with the bypass of said fuzz box...

Does that help at all or are you more confused?!:messedup

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  6. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

Wingwalker, you said it. Thanx.

Rob

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars