• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

new neck: how long to wait before initial level and crown?

spookyelectric

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all-
Just got a new Warmoth neck in-- decided to go with big frets this time around for a change (6100's instead of my usual 6230's) and I'm really digging the feel.

Since it's a brand new neck (shipped from Washington state to here in Ohio, in the middle of the winter, no less), how long should I wait to have an initial level and crown done?

I'd say it's about 90% there right now-- plays great, but I don't want to get a level/crown done too early before the neck settles into having some tension on it and acclimates to Ohio temp/humidity.

It has just one slightly high fret-- the low E at the 14th fret is a little high, but then again the action is pretty danged low (probably .9 millimeter at the 12th fret), so I could easily live with that one niggle for a while until I get the frets leveled.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
In my experience, give it a full month of playing and being under tension, and THEN see if that fret is still up, or conversely if anything else pops up - THEN get those areas addressed. Probably won't need a level at all - probably just tapping down that one fret and reseating it will be enough.

Razorface

In my experience, give it a full month of playing and being under tension, and THEN see if that fret is still up, or conversely if anything else pops up - THEN get those areas addressed. Probably won't need a level at all - probably just tapping down that one fret and reseating it will be enough.

This.

spookyelectric

Silver Supporting Member
Warmoth glues their frets in though-- would tapping it down work for a glued in fret? I suppose I could always do a spot level if tapping it down doesn't work.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom