New Neo Micro Vent Rotary Simulator

blues bird

Gold Supporting Member
Where in the chain do you guys Place the micro vent: before or after drive pedals? Which position gives you the classic sounds (Clapton, SRV)?

Placing before drives gives you a more subdued result, whereas it's more intense after drives. I just got the Micro Vent 156 and the Micro Vent 122 and I'm very impressed by the crystal clear quality... and love the blend knobs. You can do high-gain lead and add a 'hint' from either and it makes the tone more sweeping and thicker without even sounding like a Leslie.

Where in the chain do you guys Place the micro vent: before or after drive pedals? Which position gives you the classic sounds (Clapton, SRV)?

Suffering from complete GAS for this coupled with total analysis paralysis....can't decide on the 16 Or the 122. But For my Strat I'm leaning towards the 16.

Not sure who is interested, but I find the 16 more relevant to the guitar, in that it is more subtle. Nothing wrong with the 122, since you can adjust the blend, but it is more in your face LESLIE... ideal for keyboards and guitar if you want something more extreme. Having said that, if I keep the blend knob at 9-o'clock, the 122 is subtle... but it does 'pulse' more within the mix... more obvious.

evm10m

Saw this on Red Slim instagram acc. He bought an old tremolo unit for 100 bucks on ebay, got rid of the speaker and build the walls of a cabinet around it. Now he just places it in front of his favorite amp. Its light, cheap and its the real deal. The ‘Blend’ its adjusted by how far you place it next to the amp. Really cool idea!

HipUncle

Gold Supporting Member
@Neo Instruments I have a full-size Vent II. The only thing I don't like about it is the size. The 6 1/4" width is pretty rough. If it could get down to 4" or even 4 1/4", you have no idea how helpful that would be, at least to me. It would still need top-mounted jacks, stereo operation, and an expression input (I never use this without expression control of speed). And a blend control would be the Cherry on the Sundae.

JDandCoke

What's the guts of the vent series? Is the whole thing digital based or is there some analog filtering and modulation going on too?

Teleman76

Tubes-a-glowin
Silver Supporting Member

Iliaspap

@Neo Instruments I wonder why the micro vents don't have a balance knob between horn/drum volume, it would be way more usable than Ramp knob, ramp could be a secondary function. Actually, this would almost eliminate the need of two variants..

Last edited:

shakti

Got my 122 a couple of weeks ago and am highly impressed. For guitarists, it just does wonders in achieving a highly convincing, dead easy to use Leslie simulation that also feels very good for a digital pedal. To be fair, I haven’t owned any other dedicated Leslie pedals, but had an Eventide H9 and this one is better in every way. Maybe I’m just not well enough versed in the rotary world, but I don’t really miss any controls.

It is expensive though for a pedal which does basically one thing.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Got my 122 a couple of weeks ago and am highly impressed. For guitarists, it just does wonders in achieving a highly convincing, dead easy to use Leslie simulation that also feels very good for a digital pedal. To be fair, I haven’t owned any other dedicated Leslie pedals, but had an Eventide H9 and this one is better in every way. Maybe I’m just not well enough versed in the rotary world, but I don’t really miss any controls.

It is expensive though for a pedal which does basically one thing.

good comments, thx

While I don’t use it much, I do LOVE the Leslie effect. I have the H9 too and while I do like it a lot for certain things (vast reverbs, pitch, harmonic trem), the Rotary algo is just OK.

I could see shelling out for a micro vent 122 at some point.

@Neo Instruments I wonder why the micro vents don't have a balance knob between horn/drum volume, it would be way more usable than Ramp knob, ramp could be a secondary function. Actually, this would almost eliminate the need of two variants..
Since the micro Vent 16 only simulates one speaker, a balance knob wouldn't make sense.
For the micro Vent 122 it's just a matter of taste. I decided that most people would regard the ramp parameter more important than the mic balance.

It's not true that a balance knob could turn the 122 into a 16.

Regards, Guido

Last edited:
I got a Nux Roctary last week and after some intensive testing I decided that I don't like it. The clean blend knob (labeled 'balance') was the sole reason for me to buy one, because I feel that most leslie sims are missing this feature. I had an actual Leslie 16 for a few years and I got so used to the Leslie cab blending with my actual core tone that I wasn't able to bond with any Leslie sim yet. While I liked the overall tone of the Roctary (I'm mainly after the fast spinning sounds), the pedal gives a really unpleasant volume boost when activated and the bypass sound wasn't that good either.

So I bit the bullet and have a Micro Vent 16 on the way to me. Looking really forward to it...

Top Bottom