• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

New Nir Felder record streaming

Dajbro

Excellent. I've got this one pre-ordered so it will be nice to give it a spin in advance.

How was your lesson with him? What did you come away with?

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I went there as a lap steel player, interested in applying directly to lap steel, rather than having to filter it through the mind of a guitarist.

I came away knowing what I need to do to move forward. There is still a lot of work that I need to put in to have complete freedom on the instrument, which is somewhat of an unrealistic goal. However, I have a better understanding of how to utilize the tools I have.

One of the most important things I learned is that rhythmic phrasing is the most important element of melody (at least in terms of improvisation). You can play any notes, diatonic or not, if your phrasing is strong enough. In that process, it becomes a matter of filtering out the sounds that you really want to hear. Try it--play a solo based on the rhythmic phrasing of any bebop head, say Donna Lee, except playing any notes you want other than the original and without tonality.

ivers

Thanks for the heads up! I'm a couple of tunes into it, and really liking what I hear.

Dajbro

One of the most important things I learned is that rhythmic phrasing is the most important element of melody (at least in terms of improvisation). You can play any notes, diatonic or not, if your phrasing is strong enough. In that process, it becomes a matter of filtering out the sounds that you really want to hear. Try it--play a solo based on the rhythmic phrasing of any bebop head, say Donna Lee, except playing any notes you want other than the original and without tonality.
Yes! That's something that I've felt for a while and have always felt like most of the musicians that I really like play in that manner. That's a good exercise for it. Also been working with Forward Motion myself. I find I execute this type of playing much better when I'm by myself. On the gig, I lose confidence and fall back to 'safer' playing. Never sounds as good though. 'Safe' rarely does.

Now to listen to Nir.

mrfender

Nir is a monster! He and I went to the National Guitar Workshop as kids and later to Berklee. I've never seen someone progress as he did. From one year to the next he jumped 5 years of progress. Great guy and a real student of all forms of music. Happy to see him with a record deal and a new album coming out.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom