new NUX Tape Echo NDD-7

NoiseNinja

Someone got out ahead of Boss with a faux Space Echo...
They have had the non less than amazing NUX Tape Core Deluxe out for years, that in my opinion kick the Boss RE-20's butt.

What's really new is that they went in the opposite direction of Boss and now seemingly have made their Roland RE-201 Space Echo emulation bigger with more parameters available outside of the software editor (that by the way give you way more control over the tape delay than the Boss RE-20), as well as freaking midi control!

ETA July - they surely didn’t want to make any news about it just yet, but BOSS announcement forced their hand.
And I doubt if even that July is realistic - they still didn’t release Amp Academy about which we know about since August or September last year

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
I read the website and manual and I have 2 questions unanswered:

Analog dry through?
I’m assuming not because they only talk about AD/DA conversion.

True Bypass?
Also assuming not since it isn’t mentioned but I didn’t see anything about bypass modes or trails one way or the other so I’m not sure.

NoiseNinja

I read the website and manual and I have 2 questions unanswered:

Analog dry through?
I’m assuming not because they only talk about AD/DA conversion.

True Bypass?
Also assuming not since it isn’t mentioned but I didn’t see anything about bypass modes or trails one way or the other so I’m not sure.
With the switch set to Trail the signal goes through a buffer and the circuit, since otherwise it is not possible to have the trails of the delay trail off after you disengaged the pedal with the foot switch, with the switch set to Bypass, it's true bypass, and I think analog through as well, but then the delay will be cut off abruptly as soon as you press the foot switch.

This is actually how most delay works, though not all giving you the option for choosing between having trails with a buffered bypass or true bypass with the consequence of the delay being abruptly cut off as soon as you press the foot switch, it is simply not possible to have both.

Without an AD/DA converter there would be no delay, as the delay is a digital emulation and otherwise would have no signal to delay and repeat.

Oh brother, this is lame.

Is this intended as a meta-comment?

If so I agree.

Last edited:

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
With the switch set to Trail the signal goes through a buffer and the circuit, since otherwise it is not possible to have the trails of the delay trail off after you disengaged the pedal with the foot switch, with the switch set to Bypass, it's true bypass, and I think analog through as well, but then the delay will be cut off abruptly as soon as you press the foot switch.

This is actually how most delay works, though not all giving you the option for choosing between having trails with a buffered bypass or true bypass with the consequence of the delay being abruptly cut off as soon as you press the foot switch, it is simply not possible to have both.

Without an AD/DA converter there would be no delay, as the delay is a digital emulation and otherwise would have no signal to delay and repeat.
Right. I’m well aware of how trails requires a buffer in bypass and how a digital delay requires AD/DA for at least the wet or effected portion of the signal but not necessarily for the dry side. I don’t see any mention of this trails switch you’re talking about on the website for the pedal or in the manual. Did I miss it? Where do you see that switch on this pedal? Maybe you’re thinking of the switch on the Tape Core because I don’t think this new pedal has that switch.

So I think both of my questions remain unanswered:
Is there any option for true bypass?
Is there analog dry through when the pedal is on or does it digitize the dry signal?

Last edited:
Right. I’m well aware of how trails requires a buffer in bypass and how a digital delay requires AD/DA for at least the wet or effected portion of the signal but not necessarily for the dry side.

I don’t see any mention of this trails switch you’re talking about on the website for the pedal or in the manual. Did I miss it? Where do you see that switch on this pedal? Maybe you’re thinking of the switch on the Tape Core because I don’t think this new pedal has that switch.

So I think both of my questions remain unanswered:
Is there any option for true bypass?
Is there analog dry through when the pedal is on or does it digitize the dry signal?

nux dont do analog dry generaly in their delay or reverb pedals so if it is not mentioned as as a feature then 99.9% it is not.
boss usually is analog dry but one of the dd's isn't I think dd5 or dd6 I dont remember.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom