New OCD vs older

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleblaster, Jun 5, 2006.

1. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

What is the difference between the old and the new. thanks - mike:jo

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

The new OCD has a 500k ohm volume pot installed the original has a 100k, The upgrade was to allow a little more mids while reducing the bass and treble slightly!

I started out with the original OCD and always loved the tone I got but parted ways to try other pedals.

3. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

I agree with jlagrassa, both versions are good, but the older one just does it for me. Electric guitars in general and alot of amps just seem to have plenty of mids, so its nice to have an OD unit that sort of scoops them out and you can dial back in the amount you want form the amp.

4. Deaj

Deaj Member

The OCD is a great sounding, very responsive pedal regardless of the version one prefers! Mine was an original version that I modded to current spec and also added what was referred to on the Fulltone site as 'mod #2' (changed the value of the capacitor in the upper right corner of the board from .1pF to .047pF). This further emphasizes the mids, smooths the highs, and drops a little more bass. It still has better bass response than any other OD pedal I've ever used. It's been my favorite OD pedal since I finished modding it in mid-January.

5. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

When did fulltone start the mod. I had the first one when they first came out and sold it . I just bought a 4/06 model. Would this one have the mod. - thanks ,mike. BTW, i thought the first issue needed a little more mids.

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I think the mod started at ser# 4563 and higher!

Here is what Mike is working on now, I will definitely grab this when it gets released! you can check out the info on Mike's site in the custom shop section. http://fulltone.com/custom_shop.asp

[​IMG]

7. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

I just saw that on the fulltone website as well... sounds like a cool pedal!

could anyone tell me where to find the specs for the mod on the Fulltone website? I keep looking but don't see any section about the OCD mod :(

Thanks!

8. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    http://www.fulltone.com/ocd_mods.html

9. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

10. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i had an older OCD and had it modded. i really liked both sounds a great deal. when i got it back after the mod, i went crazy, i liked it so much.

however, the honeymoon is over and here is a little more calm of a description:

the old-style OCD has a LOT less mids. i would border on saying "NO" mids.

the new/modded OCD has mids. not TONS of mids, not tubescreamer mids. but it DOES have mids (unlike the original).

as far as live useage goes, here's my analysis of that:

the older OCD is FAR better as a very-low overdrive. set your old OCD with the gain around 9-11, volume around 10, and tone just below noon, and you have a completely spectacular low-gain overdrive.

the newer/modded OCD has less volume. i found i have to turn it almost twice as high for the same amount of volume. it also does not function as well as a low-gainer. i think the modded OCD really shines as a higher-gain pedal. turn the gain up to 2, 3, 4, even max, and it is ROCK and ROLL!

in summary, i can't wait until i get my timmy, so i can run my OCD as a high-gain, my screamer as medium gain, and my timmy as low gain. i'll have all the bases covered.