New OD pedal from Earthquaker Devices; Special Cranker

daizee

It's here! NO idea what's going on in TN, but the wait is over.

oh YES, this is a keeper! So far only into the Nextone amp. I prefer the Si vs. Ge clipping diodes (though that's just first impression)

Whole range of the "More" control (transistor bias) is usable

I hoped to like the light overdrive sound, but thought it might be too fizzy when really cranked - NOPE! Love the whole thing with the Classic Vibe Tele partscaster (stock pickups). It's warm and smooth in the low end like a soft-clipper, and has the magic fairy dust of a hard-clipper on the high notes without getting fizzy.

It has a lot of low-end, which is thick with the Ibanez/humbuckers BUT…. If I use the Tumnus as the main overdrive for that guitar and kick this pedal on underneath it, that works great. And the reverse for the Tele.

I'll probably run the Tone knob at 3-o'clock, which is no filter, according to the doc (it can boost highs a bit further clockwise).

Yes, it stacks well with the Tumnus. Stacking with the Joyo isn't "bad", but it's not inspiring. But that's a useful pedal for adjusting the EQ going into the amp.

OH, the Nextone is set up with a Fender-esque EQ internally and the panel knobs a noon, clean channel. I run on the 0.5w setting at home - plenty loud.

it's totally a keeper. It already got the velcro.
So this probably means it's time for the Fat Sandwich to find a new home.

The mini porta-board:

IMG_20220512_183928_2-small.jpg

Last edited:

daizee

Ok, had to try other things: I ran the mini-board both before and after the drive row of the "big" board, and here are my findings:

Cranker > JHS Overdrive: good - surprisingly (LED clipping)
Cranker > JHS Distortion: good - really good (LED clipping)
Cranker > OD Glove: eh.
Cranker > 1347: yikes, no!
JHS Overdrive > Cranker: meh
JHS Distortion > Cranker: meh
1347 > Cranker: oh my!

I forgot to try the Compressor as a boost/sustain into the Cranker.

The two directions required going into different amps/speakers, but they are set to be similar. Stacking INTO the Cranker seems to get excessively trebly, but that may also be the Nextone's current setup - I'll try backing off the highs either in the pre-amp EQ or on the panel.

IMG_20220512_204333-small.jpg

daizee

Update:
I brought down the Treble on the Nextone a bit - realized I had only really played it clean since the last major EQ change That helped.

Then stacked the "big" board back into it:
JHS Distortion > Cranker: pretty good
JHS OD > Cranker: Not bad
EHX Glove > Cranker: *shrug*
JHS Compressor > Cranker: Yes, this works fine as a boost/sustain - get the Compressor level set right

but you have to be careful about the incoming level to the pedal. I think the transistor starts to give up in addition to the regular clipping diodes if you hit it too hard. I spent more time balancing levels between the boards and helped smooth out some weird harsh high end a bit.

Anyway, I'm happy with the Tumnus > Cranker options on the mini-board. That's four sounds available with a toggles (incl. clean) and the Special Cranker is very responsive to the guitar's volume knob without a huge level drop (there is some).

ETA: The germanium clipping diode(s?) do have a more chaotic sound to them. It's not really my thing at lower gain, but sounds a bit like a fuzz when you get it cranked. That does sound pretty good, but not what I wanted the pedal for. Fuzzy chaos is right next door in the Erupter. :)

Last edited:

Kevy_Metal

This afternoon, I grabbed the last one from the local GC. More than anything, I was curious about it because it seems completely unlike any drive pedal I've ever played (and I've owned most of the classics), and for $99 it didn't seem too risky.
Wow, was I right, but it's different in the best possible way. Interestingly, it does not mess with the low end much at all compared to 'normal' overdrive pedals. It's addictive to play, and dare I say, FUN. This one earns the velcro IMMEDIATELY.

Here's the question though. For those of you that run lots of drives on your board, where do you put this thing???
Picked mine up today after it arrived yesterday. Did a quick test in store and it sounds perfect. It’ll be the last drive pedal on my board before the boost, tremolo, and delay.

Adagietto

Pending
Silver Supporting Member
I'll probably run the Tone knob at 3-o'clock, which is no filter, according to the doc (it can boost highs a bit further clockwise).
Good point re: RTFM. I did after you posted this. Been running the tone ~2:00 without realizing it also boosts.

I now see that the SC will take up to 18V. That should lower the minimum gain, so I intend to try 18V when I get the chance (they way I've got things wired, I can't just flip a switch).

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Replying to the first page - likely been said already - its an electra distortion, the original SC was VERY much like the Lovepedal CoT50

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Spent about 5 minutes with mine earlier tonight… it sounds killer! Yes, it definitely has the CoT tonal thing going on, but the level and tone knob add a bunch of flexibility.

Steve Y.

Supporting Member
I've had my EQD Westwood for a couple months now and have not really bonded with it yet. It works pretty well as a clean-ish boost, but I feel that the sound is too harsh/scratchy when the gain is turned up, even if I back off the treble. I get the feeling this is in some part just EQD's style - meanwhile, I am tempted by the Special Cranker. Decisions, decisions.

daizee

I've had my EQD Westwood for a couple months now and have not really bonded with it yet. It works pretty well as a clean-ish boost, but I feel that the sound is too harsh/scratchy when the gain is turned up, even if I back off the treble. I get the feeling this is in some part just EQD's style - meanwhile, I am tempted by the Special Cranker. Decisions, decisions.

The Special Cranker doesn't seem to get too scratchy or fizzy. It has a nice throbbing resonance in the low end. Though beware, it has full bass frequencies, so you might want to pair it up with something that cuts bass somewhere along the chain if you're fitting it into a mix. There's one weird section of the More knob that has a bit of fizz with one of my two guitars - not sure why, but... ok, no need to leave the knob there.

mouseghost

Just got mine today. Played with it for about ten minutes. I'll really get into it tomorrow. Ran it into a JHS Series3 Distortion and put the gain on both pedals at noon. It squealed like a microphonic pig. Sounds great by itself. How would y'all compare this to a BB Preamp?

daizee

Just got mine today. Played with it for about ten minutes. I'll really get into it tomorrow. Ran it into a JHS Series3 Distortion and put the gain on both pedals at noon. It squealed like a microphonic pig. Sounds great by itself. How would y'all compare this to a BB Preamp?

Noon on both is about how I'm running those two pedals. "gain" switch up or down on the JHS? That's a lot of distortion, tho. It sounded ok for the brief minute I was cycling through the combos.

mouseghost

Noon on both is about how I'm running those two pedals. "gain" switch up or down on the JHS? That's a lot of distortion, tho. It sounded ok for the brief minute I was cycling through the combos.
Gain switch up on the JHS. I'll check it out better tomorrow.

kslam

Has anybody compared this circuit to the three knob version of the Crimson Drive? They're both Electra derived, I know, but are there similarities beyond that?

Big in Japan

Silver Supporting Member
Has anybody compared this circuit to the three knob version of the Crimson Drive? They're both Electra derived, I know, but are there similarities beyond that?

The Crimson Drive had more of a midrange hump, and for lack of a better term, more bark. The Speaker Cranker has a flatter EQ and a more amp-like breakup.

Drazden

I think the SC has more bass than the Crimson, they're both pretty gritty but the EQ's have some variation. That's interesting - I didn't realize they were similar, circuit-wise!

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Spent about 5 minutes with mine earlier tonight… it sounds killer! Yes, it definitely has the CoT tonal thing going on, but the level and tone knob add a bunch of flexibility.
Spent more time with it today… yeah, it’s a keeper! I love my two CoTs… but this having both a volume and tone knob sealed the deal. Now I need to find a home for it on one of my boards.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Spent more time with it today… yeah, it’s a keeper! I love my two CoTs… but this having both a volume and tone knob sealed the deal. Now I need to find a home for it on one of my boards.
Update… moving this to my middle board and it’s bumping my PoT. As much as I like the PoT, this is more the kinda sound that makes me smile with my Strats and Fender amps.

At $99 the price to tone ratio is amazing with this pedal. I have a soft spot for amazing sounding pedals that are around $100! :aok

Trending Topics

Top Bottom