New (old) effects processor just arrived! Eventide H3500 DFX

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jay Axis, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Jay Axis

Jay Axis Silver Supporting Member

Well I just scored an old Eventide H3500 DFX. Basically its an H3000 with sampling and Dynamics updates. My understanding is it is the rudimentary beginning of Eventide including the ability to build algorythms that later became standard on the models that followed.

Hopefully this thing works (it was guaranteed to be fully functional) and I can see what all this "mojo" everyone talks about the old H3000s and 3500s having is all about! This was a studio unit and has some minor rack rash and scuffs on the face plate and case, but I don't mind that if it all works as it should. I've already rewired some XLR to 1/4 cables to deal with the weird "3rd pin hot" reverse polarity this thing has on inputs and outputs. I'll report back what I find when I get this bad boy up and going in my W/D/W rig! :dude

2. Jay Axis

Well ****. This thing has something weird going on. It works and sounds great for a few minutes, then it kicks off, goes to bypass mode allowing unprocessed sound to continue through it, then the display goes blank and it won't come back on. Turn it off and back on and the whole thing repeats again. Grr! Back to the seller it goes!

3. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

That sucks.
    Was it a good enough deal that it's worth repairing?

4. HearBlackWidow

HearBlackWidow Member

Out of curiosity did you have an open rack space above it? My Orville would do the exact same thing until I gave it one empty rack space on top. Haven't had a problem since.

5. Jay Axis

No, not really. The repair cost with Eventide starts at $300.00 minimum. The deal wasn't good enough to make that worth it.

6. Jay Axis

I don't have it racked at all. It is sitting on my desk top with nothing surrounding it at all, so it has plenty of room to dissipate heat. Oh well. :(

7. HearBlackWidow

HearBlackWidow Member

Ah, that sucks. Sorry man. There will be another one...they are great sounding units.

8. Jay Axis

Yeah it does suck. Oh well. It does sound really good before it goes on the fritz. I may give an eclipse a try. How do you like your Orville compared to the H3000 series? Obviously it has WAY more DSP and deeper program and algorithm function, patches, etc., but how do you like the tone, etc?

9. HearBlackWidow

HearBlackWidow Member

It's hard to compare since the it's been 15 years or more since I heard an H3xxx but I absolutely loved them; when I got the Orville I remember it being the same so it's gotta be close, haha. I've never heard the Eclipse so I can't comment there.

The tone is exceptional, especially on vocals and guitar. Every time I fire it up I get lost because some of the presets are just nuts; ethereal landscapes, rhythmic delays, and of course, the best pitch shifting around. FX really inspire me in general, and I love tweaking things, so this really was a dream unit. I've thought about upgrading to the H8000 but I haven't even scratched the surface of the Orville yet. The FireWire would be a nice feature however.

Have you heard Italo's demos? I'll look for his site if you haven't, he designed a lot of the presets for them and the demos show the unit off pretty well. Let me know!

10. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Buy som Deoxit and clean the IC pins inside of it, I bet that will help a good bit.

11. Jay Axis

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I have worn Italo's demos out! He makes the Eventides sound great!