New Old Guitar Day: Gibson J-50

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by BroughSuperior, Apr 17, 2015.

1. BroughSuperior

BroughSuperior Member

Longtime lurker, hello all.
    Gibson J-50, with bonus (?) of being signed by CSN in 95 and Willie Nelson in 97.
    Don't care about the sigs; the price was too right, I was secretly hoping something would be unsatisfactory and thus justify passing on it, but despite that it has some cosmetic problems and a 3 inch crack, I couldn't hand him the money fast enough. I've never played a J-45 or 50 that wasn't awesome, and this one's no exception. He had it set up and strung with fancy strings. It's been hanging on a wall almost 20 years, frets are great!The last note is finally dying 25 seconds after a moderate strum, ssssweet sustain.
    And it sounds so familiar. Hundreds heck thousands of country songs have a J-45,50 playing on them, and even more country roadhouse bands. It's a little warmer than I'm used to, nothing a set of strings won't cure if necessary. Elixir strings last a long time and sound good, but they aren't as bright as some.
    It sounds so good. I'll enjoy it and eventually leisurely find the CSN or Willie fan who'll pay something stupid for it.
    Oh yeah, original case too.

Well crap, I can't post pics.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

go to photobucket and get a free account, upload the pics there, link 'em (the last link from the little stack) and lay 'em on us!

3. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Congrats! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who isn't paranoid about cracks.

If you decide to brighten it a bit, you might want to try a set of DR Sunbeams.