1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

New "Old Guy" player

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fiftylucky, May 23, 2011.

1. fiftylucky

fiftylucky Member

Hey,

All right, here is my story, I started playing a acoustic guitar last month, I bought a Seagull S6 and have taken exactly one lesson beside doddling myself from online stuff, well, I just went on EBay on Saturday night and bought a American Standard Strat, and a VHT Special 6 amp.

Now I have to learn to play as I need something to keep me occupied when I hit the retirement age a few years from now. Any tips on deciding to continue Acoustic guitar lessons or switch over to electric guitar lessons, does it matter???

2. BlaXander

BlaXander Member

Hi and welcome aboard.

You could always take both types of lessons, that way you'll definitely keep yourself occupied :p If you have to choose, I'd say, just go for the type that appeals to you the most, i.e. whichever teaches you the songs you want to play :)

3. fiftylucky

fiftylucky Member

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I have heard it is easier to play an electric so maybe I will lean that way, I like classic rock which can be played both ways in alot of the stuff I listen to. Thanks again for your help.

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hello Fiftylucky,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

5. Ken I

Ken I Member

Welcome aboard!

6. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

7. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Member

Welcome aboard.

I also took up guitar at 50. Now 6 years later I play both. IMO learning both is a good idea. I think you need to make sure you are always having fun but also always learning new things.

Don't be afraid to try more than one teacher til you find one that clicks for you.

8. straightblues

straightblues Member

Electrics are easier to play. You can start on one and then build up your strength and then go to acoustic. Guitar takes a long time to learn. It will not come right away. You need to practice. Set about an hour a day aside to practice. Maybe 30 minutes twice a day. Every adult I have taught lately are always surprised on how long it takes. Bet patient and you will be rewarded. It is never to late to learn.

9. alguit

alguit Member

Hi, welcome to TGP!

That Seagull was my first good acoustic, and all of your gear is a great way to get going!

Be sure to check out youtube for all kinds of free guitar instruction, and there's great stuff on here, too.

All the best,

Alan

10. onemind

onemind Member

Starting old has its advantages, I haven't figured out what those are yet. Welcome!

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member