New old news... the 2-5 watt THD head

gnappi

After reading of the abysmal sound of these heads and finding many pages of mods, I decided to buy one today. It was used at a LGS and I figured why not?

A main problem I wanted to solve is a readable schematic which I could not find, so I "fixed" one of the many .jpg prints into something readable like a 2 color .gif.

True to form, it sounded like trash with the OEM tubes.

Tomorrow I'll crack it open and start with the passive part removal mods I documented on the print. Up first was what some had success with, using lower gain pre tubes, and a new 6L6

It sounds MUCH better, a bluesy crunch with cleaner headroom to about 6, but a tad noisy (the 6L6) but definitely going in the right direction.

Anyone else have one with mods to share? I hope you owners can use the print. Note, saving it as a .jpg will destroy the readability if you want to add to it.

15871610_1316061548415325_2017065128147268334_n.jpg

Vibroluxman

Looking at the schem (I can't really read it well when I blow it up) I'm guessing this is the Jet City PicoValve. I rather liked that amp stock, just with lower gain pre amp tubes.

gnappi

It's perfectly clear at 2048 line mode on a pc, 30" screen... sucky on a phone or tablet. Sorry I can't account for little screens :)

Its a Jet City pico valve, sorry I left that off the print. The 6l6 so far got me in the right direction

Vibroluxman

It's perfectly clear at 2048 line mode on a pc, 30" screen... sucky on a phone or tablet. Sorry I can't account for little screens :)

Its a Jet City pico valve, sorry I left that off the print. The 6l6 so far got me in the right direction

Yeah still wasn't clear on my 15" MBP but that might very well be because you're hosting the shot through Facebook. That'll destroy image quality quickly. I liked a 12at7 in v2 and a 12au7 in v1

GilmourD

1080p Dell U2414H clocking in at 23.8 inches here. Not a small screen. Just a low-res image. :p

gnappi

I have the crystal clear original, if anyone wants one pm me with an email addy and I'll send you one.

I guess facebook is degrading the original

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom