New Old School Rawk - Gary Clark Jr.'s new album out

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Colors, Oct 23, 2012.

1. 59Vampire

59Vampire Gold Supporting Member

2. dez

dez Member

That Numb is areally good somg. The other one didnt really do anyhting for me. Does Gary play more stuff like Numb?

3. kush06

kush06 Member

You can thank the producers for that. It's pretty obvious they didn't know what to do with him and figured with a buffet of sounds and styles something would stick. Pretty scathing reviews so far on that aspect of the record. Check out his live stuff to get a feel of what he really does.

http://ventvox.com/2012/10/gary-clark-jr-blak-blu-review/

4. rybass

rybass Member

I spent the weekend with the album on rotation and I have to say I think he's better than this album. Maybe the producer or label pushed him to be more mainstream but it's boring IMO. He has a Lenny Kravitz thing going on for a good part of it with some oldschool R&B and some modern hip hop; none of which do I have a problem with. I just expected more blues, something dirtier and a little less "something for everyone". I wanted more edge I guess.

I haven't had the pleasure to see him live yet but I've watched a lot of youtube and he's better than this IMO.

5. gearandguitars

gearandguitars Member

See him live if you get the chance, you won't be disappointed.

6. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Sure its not all "Bright Lights" but I really dig the new album, and I was hoping it was going to be like his "Bright Lights" EP.

I agree about the Kravitz feel...almost a Lenny Kravitz meets The Black Keys meets Marvin Gaye. There is enough blues on the album to keep me happy, but I also think as an album, and given its name is "Blak and Blue," it lives up to the name and is a slightly loose, yet cohesive album.

I dig it.

7. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Picked this up last week (at Starbucks, of all places) and it's been growing on me steadily every since. I like the variety, and the fact that there's a lot more going on than just guitar slinging, although there is plenty of that too.

One complaint though; this disc sounds like a textbook example of what they were talking about in "The Loudness Wars", where everything is mixed as hot as possible and compressed up into the same narrow dynamic range. On my first listen I thought the guitar tones kinda sucked; they don't, there are actually some amazing tones in there, but they're partially obscured by the cluttered mix and sonic goo. I'd love to hear this disc mastered differently.

/rick

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

GCj is legit.

PS: i really like the more r&b sounding stuff too, but he's awesome either way

9. schlookness

schlookness Member

This is amazing, thank you for this thread!!!!

Haven't heard the album yet but I'll get my hands on it as soon as I can

10. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

You're absolutely right. I've had this cd for more than a week now, and I just can't connect with it. I think it's the production that's in the way. Oh well, maybe the next one will be cleaner and leaner.

11. Ramblin' Ghost

Ramblin' Ghost Member

I like how schizophrenic the album is. I wish more artists had the sack to put soul, blues, rock and hip hop songs on one album. I don't understand the Black keys comments. BK doesn't really touch the breadth of what Blak & blu does, nor is Auerbach close to the player this guy is. Sure, they're both kinda sloppy blues-based styles, but Clark's got much more interesting note choices and is generally just a more versatile player. Wouldn't doubt they have a couple overlapping influences, but who doesn't.

12. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

I've come back to this album twice with fresh ears and a new outlook, and my final summation is that it is an airless, soulless, letdown of a debut. Such promise and hype, such a boring, rote record. The guys who can't hear the Keys inflections on the bluesier tracks are either kidding themselves, or they aren't that familiar with all the Key's tropes (which really aren't all that revolutionary themselves, but they definitely have carved out a certain "thing"). The fact that he or his producers have chosen to go after someone else's successful formula shows a disappointing cynicism and lack of inspiration. Auerbach doesn't need to be the "player" that Clark is (and I'm not so sure he isn't), because he has something Clark doesn't- songs. I'll take good songs over playing anyday. I was so ready to be taken aback by this guy. Don't get me wrong, he may be the greatest thing since sliced cheese, but this album doesn't show it.