New Orange OR50 for blues rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stratoben127, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I really like Orange's new OR50. Single channel, vintage vibe and that HF drive control. It's also relatively cheap. I've heard so many things saying that they're great for that 70's blues rock tone but every demo is a guy playing in drop D with so much gain my brain hurts. I wanna hear this amazing "blues rock tone" they say it has and dare I say it Orange, but yes.... I want to actually hear cleans. I play mostly Hendrix-y blues stuff with a Strat and ABB, Neil Young and early Clapton (Cream, Bluesbreakers) style stuff with an LP. Both have vintage output pickups (Wolfetone's and Custom shop 69's). I want a smooth, warm and not too grainy sound. Will the Orange do this? I also love the new compact 412 cab they came out with.

2. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Yes, the OR50 will do that. It has more of a vintage voicing. Great amp! I just pre ordered the OR15H and I'm hoping it is a lot like the OR50, just smaller, cheaper and less power.

3. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

What kind of music are you playing? A lot of Orange demos sound very grainy especially with a lot of gain... Which is all of them. I hate that.

4. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

5. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I have an Orange TH30 which is know for gain but at the same time it will do classic rock. I think for the most part, any of the OD and AD models will do the lower gain. I play a lot of blues with my orange and it covers that well.

6. cyclops620

cyclops620 Supporting Member

I'm wonder if the reissue OR50 is made in China? I'm not seeing the UK flag on the back?

7. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

For $1700? No way. I hope not.

8. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I just heard the demo of it on the Humbucker music website- the GAS is here and it's strong. Cleans are amazing. Takes boosts and OD's well it seems. Very tight and not at fizzy and flubby as other Oranges. A bit like a hot rodded JTM45. Still has that looseness and sag of an Orange but the definition and cleans of a Marshall.

9. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Is nobody interested in these? I've been thinking about that demo all day!

10. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I would love to get the OR50 but I can't afford it right now. I pre ordered the OR15H and I hope it sounds just like its big brother!!

11. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

Oranges are NOT grainy at all, except for maybe the tiny terror...i love my TH30, however i may be trading it for a OR15H and AC15 stereo rig at some point...

12. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I'm planning on getting an OR50 down the line, gotta save a bit though. I love my tiny terror, but I would love to add a big classic orange to my arsenal. I have never played an OR50, but I would be using it for crunchy classic OD. My TT does great at this, but most oranges seem to have lots more gain than I need, of course thats not all they can do. I saw a metal band play with an OR50 and it was crazy heavy, but I think (hope!) it should be able to get classic tones just as well. For me, basically an early sabbath level of gain. I'm very excited that its being reissued, as it seems like it may be a bit more vintage orange than the rest of their current line.

13. cyclops620

cyclops620 Supporting Member

Didn't the 40th Anniversary sell for more than the OR50 by a good few $100? It's the same amp minus the '40th Anniversary' on the front. I can't see them charging more just for that. Makes me a little suspicious that this new OR50 is Chinese made, not to mention for missing UK flag on the back....

14. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

the anniversary model was a small production run, and they are building in some economy of scale for this as a regular production model.

however, still thinking it'd be closer to an even 2-grand if it was a UK-built amp.

15. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

If it really sounds good, I don't care if it's made in a basement in Djibouti. It will still sound good. Is there a possibility that it could be made in America?

16. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have no concern where an amp is made.

17. soulohio

soulohio Member

If Hendrix style is your thing....you should check out a Retro 50. They are wonderful.

18. J3F

J3F Member

Hi guys, sorry to drag this thread up from the past, but I thought I'd add that the new production series OR50 is English made (not assembled, made) and that the main differences are cosmetic. It has silk screened steel facia, instead of plexiglass, and chrome fixtures rather than gold. There may be a few other bits m pieces but nothing major about the design of the amp.

Spoke to orange today to confirm this as I think I'm gonna get one tonight!

19. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Did you end of getting the OR50? I'm curious how you like it. I may be interested in one of these.

20. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally Member

And now to REALLY drag up an old thread -- did you get it, and if so what are your thoughts? I'm very seriously considering one, since it came up in a trade offer.