NEW Origin Effects RevivalDRIVE Hot Rod Edition

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman92, Jan 16, 2020.

1. darkdaysindeed

darkdaysindeed Supporting Member

I’m not crazy about how Rabea has it setup some of the time and I wish he’d turn the reverb off for at least a little bit but it definitely has a lot more gain. I’m intrigued...

Justinsimonin likes this.
  2. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

I thought the same thing. And it's about the same price too! :p

brs928 likes this.
  3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Wonder if a hot rod edition is in store for the compact version?

Lamby likes this.
  4. TrueFifth

TrueFifth Member

I also think they should make a Hot Rod Compact!

I have the RDcustom, and would like to have had a Hot Rod Compact on top of that, for all variations...

blackba and Lamby like this.
  5. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

I’d definitely be interested in a hot rod compact.

Lamby likes this.
  6. Junta

Junta Member

Hmmmm.

As someone who bought the Custom Revival Drive and the foot switch within the first week available where I live, and sold my Marshall Mini Jubilee because I am so satisfied with the Marshallesque sounds I get with the Revival Drive, what do I think?

Let's see
    • My Mesa V:25 crunch channel with a NagaViper before it gives me all the JCM 800 like tones I want.
    • My EVH 50watt III EL34 gives me all the modern high gain sounds I want (cause I cannot afford the exotic German stuff), in addition to the awesome classic sounding blue channel which all modern high gain players love to hate
    • Lately I am enjoying pedal combos [NagaViper - Jam Rattler] and [NagaViper - Op-Amp Mig Muff] as much as my tube amps, and
    • I can get wicked high gain sounds with the regular Revival Custom when I hit it with - get this - Greer Light Speed! (such a gentle pedal, right?)...
    I think I am going to need 'clinical' head to head comparison demos with the regular Revival Custom, because damn, in the first demo video from Masaad, this pedal sounds really really good. Non-modern high gain, admittedly it is a bit of a niche pedal, but damn... it seems like Origin did its sorcery again and tweaked the pedal sooooo good.

Limited edition? Well that solves my dilemma then - there will be nothing left by the time a clinical comparison is done...

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  7. Lamby

Lamby Member

I reckon the RDC is probably strongly outselling the RD, so for the high gain model it's a limited RD version run, then they'll drop the Compact later in the year.

Pure speculation, of course :)

Norrin Radd 1966 and blackba like this.
  8. Mike Alan

Mike Alan Member

[​IMG]

Not Through Yet and guitarman92 like this.
  9. jm9239

jm9239 Member

I hope more demos and reviews come out. While Rabea’s is okay, he didn’t do the one thing I wanted to hear which is maxing out the gain to see what’s on tap. He really only took it to ~75%.

Justinsimonin and mody like this.
  10. guitarman92

guitarman92 Member

Yeah I wanted to hear it all. But what I did hear I liked. A lot. It’s definitely more gain than the original.

Justinsimonin likes this.
  11. pewing33ny

pewing33ny Member

I've been thinking about selling most of my drive pedals and getting a RevivalDrive, now this thing comes out. I'm definitely interested in high gain, as long as I can get those classic Marshall/Vox tones from the first RevivalDrive.

I gotta hear some demos of course first, hoping it doesn't sell out as I'm in the process of moving and would highly prefer to thin the herd a bit before adding more gear.

12. darkdaysindeed

I’d like to hear more demos too but I get the feeling with only 500 being made (250 standard/250 custom) that the decision may have to be made before more demos are released.

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

FFS.

14. darkdaysindeed

Origin stated to me that these are available for pre-order now but I can’t find any US dealers with the Custom. Only found one for the standard.

15. darkdaysindeed

For those wondering about gain of the original vs the hot rod, Simon mentioned in an Instagram post that the Hot Rod with the Volume (gain) control set to 2 o’clock is roughly equivalent to the original with the volume cranked all the way up.

16. TrueFifth

TrueFifth Member

Thanks, if more info shows up other places, please pass along to this thread, it is very much appreciated.

I am also wondering if there are much difference in the tonestack/preamp components or other differences from the regular...

If anyone can ask Origin Effects (at NAMM e.g.) for more details about the guts of the RD HR, it is again very much appreciated here on the other side of the planet...

17. Chris Milne

Chris Milne Member

I'm interested in the opposite of this...how low can the gain also go. I think Rabea didn't show too many lower gain settings, or it doesn't do that.

TrueFifth likes this.
  18. darkdaysindeed

In the same post about gain Simon mentioned that the overall tone is darker and that the bright caps and preamps were tweaked but he didn’t go into specifics.

TrueFifth likes this.
  19. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I watched this whole video but I totally missed what he's playing this pedal into? Which amp, interface? Please and thanks! Eric

20. darkdaysindeed

FX return of a Victory VX100