• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New Original Collection '50s LP Standard, or 2019 Les Paul Traditional?

sbrollins76

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all,

I am looking at buying a new Les Paul and wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the outgoing 2019 Traditional vs. the new Les Paul Standard '50s. For background, I had a 2018 Les Paul Classic that I just sold; it sounded great but I just couldn't get along with the Slim Taper neck. The depth/thickness was fine, but I want something with more shoulder on it.

I got the chance to play one of the new Les Paul Specials a couple days ago but didn't have time to try the new Standard that day. The neck on the Special was great, but I want to try the Standard first before I decide what to buy. I'm planning to look at both the P-90 and humbucker versions of the new '50s Standard, but wondering if it would be worth trying to work a deal on a 2019 Traditional? On paper they look like essentially the same guitar, but I'd love to get opinions from someone who's played both.

My local GC has all of the above in stock and I just got a new coupon in my email today, so I might pull the trigger on something soon. Thanks all for the input!

C-4

The 2019 LP Standard Gibson just reintroduced will have a 50's neck.

You might want to be patient and try both first.

fancychords

I have a 2018 trad. No weight relief on the 18 models and they are identical to the new 50s les Paul’s. Orange drop capacitors Burstbuckers wired control panel. Etc.

sbrollins76

Silver Supporting Member
The 2019 LP Standard Gibson just reintroduced will have a 50's neck.

You might want to be patient and try both first.
That's the model I'm asking about. The outgoing 2019 Traditional is also supposed to have a '50s profile. It looks prices on the Trads have been lowered to match the new Standards, but I'm wondering if anyone who's played both can weigh in on differences. On paper they look identical. I'm thinking it might be easier to get a deal on a Trad since they're now discontinued.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
The only differences I can see is the Traditional doesnt have the pickguard mounted and the nut material is tektoid on the traditional , graphtech on the Standard. Oh and the Traditional comes with .09s . If all things are equal I would take the Standard, but if there is enough of a discount on the Traditional( i mean below the 2499 ) it might be worth it. You could use those things as bargaining chips.

C-4

In the end, if it would be possible, and if I were looking to buy one of these two models, I would try both in a store.

it's just my gut feeling, but I would be leaning towards the newest version, only because Gibson has been trying to up their game, and just maybe, they have taken a bit more time with the newest versions of Les Pauls. ymmv :)

Trending Topics