New OT for Hot Rod Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rjchave, Dec 27, 2009.

1. rjchave

rjchave Member

Hello, first post here - searched but did not see anything specific enough.
    I am considering replacing the stock OT in my 40 watt HRDX with a Hammond. (I like the cost a bit more than MM). I have narrowed it down to the 1650H or 1650HA - both are 40 watts and rated for 2 6L6GC's.

Anyone used these and have an opinion on the tonal improvement?

Also, looks like I will have to drill a couple new holes due to mounting size, any other changes I need to consider (impedance matching, new tap config, etc)?

I am new to the OT idea but it seems straight forward. Any input is appreciated. Also, note I am using JJ's power tubes and all Mullards in preamp, amp has also been modded by a pro and is much improved - this my last step.

Thanks!

2. rjchave

rjchave Member

Ok, have not seen any responses so apologies if my questions were not clear - just looking for confidence and/or input before I drop in the OT.

Here are two key questions I am trying to get answered:

-Can I just drop the Hammnond OT in to my HRDX as is without worry? Currently has an 8ohm speaker running off a 40 watt OT.

-Will the Hammond make a MAJOR difference tonally? The amp sounds WAY better than stock with the MODS but has a little bit of thin brittle sound at about 2K-4K -- it's there even with a broken in speaker, will the OT clear this up some or a lot?

Thanks again, any input from those of you with experience changing output trannys is appreciated!