new overdrive amp- need some help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hw2nw, Oct 24, 2005.

New overdrive amp head?

Poll closed Dec 31, 1969.
  1. Bogner Shiva (EL-34)

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Matchless Chieftain

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Bad Cat Hot Cat 30

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Budda Superdrive 30

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Other!

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Hey all, just looking at a few nice heads and I'm having some trouble deciding. I wanted to get some opinions from my favorite amp forum!

Check out the poll options, let me hear some input and if you have suggestions, definitely let me know! I'm looking to stay under $2000 used as a max.

I am a indie rock rhythm guitarist who plays a lot of open chords and arpeggios too. Some random bands my music sounds like: Further Seems Forever, Coldplay, Death Cab For Cutie, Dashboard Confessional, Saves The Day, Thursday, Copeland. These are more modern bands I believe. Anyways I'm just looking for some great overdrive that'll thicken the mix and sound great with a Les Paul and a Tele. Nothing super fizzy, just nice and big.

Alright...take it from here gents! :)

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I really like the Mesa F series.

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

F series are cool, I'm not really into the 6L6's though. I couldn't get a tone I like out of the distortion channel, so compressed and muddy through my cabs.

4. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Bad Cat black Cat.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

6. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I know Death Cab for Cutie is using Dr. Z's now, but I'm not sure which model(s). There's a good variety of 'overdrive amp' options in the Dr. Z lineup, all of which fall under your $2k constraint.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I like the Dr Z Route 66 a lot for the tones you are describing. It has a big sound and not much fizz. It takes pedals really well and I think it sounds great with Les Pauls and teles.

Since you mentioned playing lots of open chords and arpeggios, you might like a Vox AC/30 or one of the many amps that were inspired by it. They work really well for that type of playing.

Bryan

8. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Guytron 100 original version $1300+/- $200. Guytron F/V 100 $1800 to $2000. These amps kill. Lots of tones, not just 1 flavor like so many of the other amps out there today. Think Mesa versatility in a more easily usable and better sounding package.

10. ski_fast

ski_fast Silver Supporting Member

I would definately say the Budda Superdrive 30 would work well for you. First of all, it has a great master volume so it works well at all volumes. The most touch responsive amp I have ever played. I have gone through many amps in the past year looking for the perfect tone. I had a Guytron GT-100 and while a good amp, it could not compete with the great chime, and the excellent overdrive the Superdrive offers (listen to the Matchbox Twenty DVD for a good example on what this amp can do. Even though Bad Cats are on the stage they are props only). The Guytron is a hundred watt amp, VERY heavy to move around, and the Budda was louder even though it is 30 watts. Budda's use aluminum construction like old Marshalls and they are easy to move. I do not like the Budda speakers. They are very efficient so they are loud and seem to have too much inherent midrange (like a Vintage 30). I run my Budda with a Hughes and Kettner 2x12 loaded with greenbacks, and I have a Celestion G12H30 in the Budda 1x12 cabinet. I can run one, both, or switch between them using the very handy cabinet switching feature that the original series I Superdrives have. If you want to go cheap you might be surprised what a Peavey Classic 30 can do with a good assortment of overdrive pedals. We use a Classic 30 with a Blackbox Cobalt pedal to nail a lot of classic tones. Anyway, the Budda Superdrive 30 is a great amp... I would challenge anyone to get better tones than what I am getting. No hate mail please... lol.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Matchless Phoenix.

12. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

oh yes, but $$$$$