New Ozzy with Jeff Beck - Patient Number 9

Will Smith

I hated the singles off the last record but when I got the album I was shocked how much I liked it so I’m gonna reserve judgement. I seriously hope I can skip all that laughter and garbage at the beginning of the track when I own the album. That **** drives me crazy.

Bankston

This sounds more like a classic Ozzy song than the last record I heard.

I'm not a fan of Beck's tone in the main solo because it struggles to cut through the bombastic mix of drums and bass.

The outro solo, however, is cool AF.

webcat

I hated the singles off the last record but when I got the album I was shocked how much I liked it so I’m gonna reserve judgement. I seriously hope I can skip all that laughter and garbage at the beginning of the track when I own the album. That **** drives me crazy.
Izzy’s last record, Ordinary Man?

chrisr777

I heard this premiered on his show Ozzy Speaks last night. It was prerecorded last week before his surgery and broadcast last night on Ozzy's Boneyard. I really liked it. To me, it's the best thing he's done in years. I'm looking forward to the rest of the album. They said they would play another new track on the next episode next month.

FenderLester

I love Jeff Beck and really liked Ozzy in high school. This kind of sounded like a mashup video to me. Didn't really work together as well as it should to my ear. Didn't sound like a band in the same room playing together. Back in the Blizzard days it sounded like the band was wailing away in the same room to me. But that's just my 2 cents.

Will Smith

Yeah, but then some asshole sped the recording up so it sounds like a band playing out of tune. Which is why people say Randy’s tone isn’t good. Oh well. Ozzy has made a lot of questionable moves over the course of his career but as much as I hate her I think his wife has done an incredible job. I’m intrigued by this album.

To those complaining about the use o auto tune- go back and listen to 13. bland lifeless vocal melodies with minimal auto tune and minimal impact. It’s a necessary evil for 70 some odd year old ozzy these days. I’m at peace w it. I really liked 13 for about a week now it’s just unlistenable because of how boring the vocals are.

ZeyerGTR

Weird, I randomly turned on the radio in the car and this was playing on the contemporary rock station. I didn't know if this was an old track or what, I hadn't heard of them collaborating but I totally could have missed it.

Ozone Baby

Don't like anything about this.
Paint by numbers "songwriting", Ozzy's voice sounds like it's computer generated, whatever production "style" you call that grates on my nerves, and Beck added nothing to the song.

No offense to the JB fanatics, but i think he should take a year off, go back to working on cars, then come back in a totally different direction with some fresh energy.

wraub

Actually listened to the track- the vocals are, indeed, typically over-processed (but, allowing some for age and reality) and sound like typical Ozzy imo, but slightly weaker than something like No More Tears, for example, still not bad, just Ozzy. Definitely could be AI or algorithm generated, it's pretty a+b=c.

During the verses, it's heavy Amadeus by Falco, and the chorus is somehow similarly derivative but can't place it atm. The first solo is too low in the mix, but works as a bridge to the quieter section, but ultimately the song is too long and doesn't really go anywhere. And, the JB parts are decent but somehow not JB enough that almost any skilled player couldn't have done similar.

imo, of course.

Sounds a bit like K-pop kids found an Ozzy album and decided to have a go..:D

That first solo doesn’t cut through very well on my iPhone speaker (sacrilege, I know), maybe needs more mids or something.

I agree about the autotune thing..

The outro is pretty cool.

I’m just amazed that there’s a new Ozzy tune out!

devicaster

Its a different approach to melodies for Ozzy which I do think is cool, but it makes me think someone else came up with them (He usually writes his own). Voice sounds good tho.

I also feel a disconnect btw music & vocals in much of this. The vocal isn't anchored to any particular riff except the hook in the verses. Ozzy has been working with a pop producer the last few years Im guessing thats a lot to do with my conclusions. Not the Ozzy I grew up with, but thats fine. His voice is iconic and should be more appreciated. If this brings more people to his music, then great.

I'm a huge fan of Becks Wired, yet the soloing is completely forgettable here.

Ive been a huge Ozzy fan since 82. I felt Ozzy got creatively stale about 15 years ago when he put out the Under Cover Ep, then Black Rain. Scream sounded fairly overproduced & manufactured to me, but Gus G was a nice fresh new element to the Ozzy legacy. I was bummed that they didnt work together more since Gus has stated they were going to do an organic rock album as the follow up to Scream.

I'll stay tuned for more updates, hoping Zakk & the Iommi contributions have more presence on the rest. But based on this one song I would not buy it.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom