New Ozzy with Jeff Beck - Patient Number 9

hpharley90

Silver Supporting Member
I got 1.04 into it and I hate it. Ozzy sounds like ****...i wont listen anymore.....I liked the little bit I heard of Jeff...

tktk

The last album Jeff Beck was creative was JEFF, which was released in 2003. He's still got his chops though.

Peacenik

I haven’t bought or listened to an Ozzy album since about 1992, and this is clearly no Blizzard or Diary of a Madman, but as far as an all-star cast goes this new album is intriguing:

On this Patient #9 track along with Beck, “the epic seven-minute song boasts an all-star cast of musicians that includes Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Chad Smith on drums, Metallica’s Robert Trujillo on bass, Zakk Wylde on guitars and keyboards, and producer Andrew Watt on backing vocals, guitars, and keyboards.”

And on the rest of the album musicians include, “Eric Clapton, Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi, and Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready, as well as session work from Guns N’ Roses’ Duff McKagan, Jane’s Addiction’s Chris Chaney, and late Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins.”

Mr.db

Meh, the song isn't catchy at all and the rest of the instrumentation was boring. Jeff Beck was the only reason to listen to it but his parts weren't terribly exciting or interesting.

Also, whoever mixed that should be launched into outer space.

DrewJD82

I haven’t listened yet and won’t until I get in my studio with decent speakers, but I really hope Ozzy can make an album he WANTS to make before he’s gone.

The dude isn’t a metalhead. He loves the Beatles and blues music. I want to hear Ozzy doing something he loves rather than people giving songs to him and having him do his thing on them.

Don’t get me wrong; I LOVE Ozzy. I named one of my dogs after him, Zakk is one of my biggest influences and I’m beyond thankful for Ozzy’s contributions to metal, even the offstage stuff. I just think the guy deserves to do what he wants to do at least once. It makes me sad seeing him in promo shots glaring his teeth or holding his arms up in that Ozzy pose. Feels like Sharon stands behind him and just cranks up the Ozzy machine to roll in some money.

twinrider1

Not blown away, but I appreciate the idea and the effort. Left me wanting it to be either more Beck-y or more metal.

Will Smith

Yeah I gotta say I’m not loving it, feel the same way last time he premiered a single for ordinary man.

I also feel like Jeff beck had a lot of input on this track, I could be wrong.

I would never want to disrespect Jeff beck, but my personal enjoyment of his albums is about 50/50 at best. He is just a little too inventive for me, and that’s ok. If it’s the case that the album is collaborative the way I imagine this track is, it could be interesting but I was looking more forward to an 80s style ozzy record which was mentioned months and months ago. We’ll see.

I disagree with whoever said this sounds more like classic ozzy. This sounds completely not classic to me at all. It’s not horrible but I’m not clicking the video to listen again either.

I heard this song for the first time in my life about an hour ago. It hasn't changed my opinion that Ozzy Osbourne has not made an influential album since 1982.

As for the song itself, there's nothing special about it: it's not terrible, it's not great, it's just standard rock music with Ozzy singing (heavily auto-tuned). Ironically, I've never been a fan of Jeff Beck, but that weird guitar solo is the most interesting part of the song to my ears.

drew365

Silver Supporting Member
I guess if you listened to it on a $20k stereo system, that gave the instruments some separation, it might sound good. But on my system, it sounded like a lot of noise with little clarity. I think they could have dropped six or eight of those background tracks and had a better sounding song.

I really wanted to like it. Couldn't quite manage to.

It's almost as if Ozzy isn't fully himself - more like a virtual Ozzy, set for a holographic tour.
I expected better from Jeff Beck too. Not that he's bad here.
But certainly far short of his cosmic potential.
Plus, his tone and any dynamic expressiveness have been totally swamped.

To be fair, it sounds to me like maybe Beck wasn't given enough preparation time.
The man can make any song his own, but it can take time and work to really inhabit one.

The dense mix doesn't help: apparently mass was more important here than balance. As others say, this probably had adequate definition & separation at high volume in the control room. But IMO listening at a reasonable level (and degraded by YouTube) it isn't great - even through high quality headphones.

magdream

Kinda *****, IMO. It's fairly subtle, but Ozzy is auto-tuned. At least in parts of the song.

Kyusha

it really sounds like it has the same producers who produced justin bieber and dua lipa like on the last album

jeff beck still plays great, but the tone, omg..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom