New Panama Cab day

bluescube

Took a chance with a Panama 1x12 Boca cab off Reverb. Wanted a 1x12 extension cab for my Laney VC15-110 combo. The Laney has a 10" Jensen speaker which sounds good, it just lacks bottom end thump being a small open back combo. Perfect grab-n-go amp.

The Panama Boca combo is pretty darn good for the money. Appears well made, no visual issues with the tolex job and the cab is not MDF. Has a real woody smell. The baffle is purpleheart wood and the cab is some kind of local Panama plywood. Almost cedar like is smell. The only downside is that it is front loaded and the metal grill looks to be non-removable. Not sure if the internal baffle can be removed. So changing speakers seems like a no-go. But for under $200 I can live with that.

The speaker is called the BFM. "Designed to replicate the tonal profile of the Classic Blue Alnico speakers, our "Fauxnico" custome drivers utilize modern rare-earth alloy magnets with assemblies using the same magnetics energy as Alnico. Our Mellow flavor features warm lows, vocal Alnico-like mids, reduce treble."

Compared to the Jensen it is mellower in the highs and not as piercing. Has plenty of low end thump from the sealed cab. Mids are sweet. Highs are good but not as sizzling as the Jensen. It is quite different than the Jensen. I'm having to get used to not having the open back swirl sound. Sealed cabs are more focused. Rated at 8 ohms, 50 watts.

If I could do it over, I should have gotten the next model up with the removable front grill and rear panels to make an open back, but for the money, this is a deal compared to the Chinese MDF cabs at the same price range.

cuedpyaq1ofyreprk4ez.jpg

bluescube

It looks to me like the BFM driver uses a neodymium magnet. It's a small but heavy looking with a bell like cover

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I find it hard to believe the speaker can't be changed due to the grill..

bluescube

I find it hard to believe the speaker can't be changed due to the grill..

The entry level appears to be so, but not 100% sure. The internal baffle might unscrew from inside. Their higher cost cabs do have removable grills.

Otherwise, I am liking the cab and speaker. More low end thump and nice mids.

Screamandan

Thanks for posting. I've been eyeing a Panama 2x12 as well. They seem like they'd be pretty decent for the money.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom