New Parker P 36 and PM 20

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daddyo, Apr 24, 2005.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have just been looking at the Parker P36 and PM 20. The P36 is in natural swamp ash body/maple bolt-on neck with a tele/piezo setup. The PM 20 is a set neck mahogany with a quilted bubinga top. Both are hardtail. Both are breath taking in appearance and not bad for weight - 7lbs - not Parker Fly weight but still light. As these are the new models from Korea, I was wondering has anyone any experience with them? I didn't have time to play them. I can't believe they're under $600 CDN. That's cheaper than a Hwy 1 strat/ tele. They are the nicest guitars I've seen in that price range.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I have played both and like any guitar they need to be set up. The pickups aren't much to write about. That negative stuff out of the way I think the construction is remarkable. Absolutely one of the best neck joints I have ever seen is on the PM 20 and it also comes with a flame maple top. The surface finish is top notch. They both seem to have a good acoustic sound so with good pickups I bet they would sound great. Great guitar for the money that's for sure.

[​IMG]

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

How is the neck?

4. 908SSP

908SSP Member

It's very well, thank you:BEER

If you mean the size :jo

It is on the robust side I think like a LP standard. They do a very nice fret job and a dark rosewood board but don't expect Fly or Lentz quality ;)

5. guitgeek

guitgeek Member

It's sort of a shame that these new lower priced guitars from parker don't have stainless steel frets; i think they would sell a lot more.

6. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Pretty stupid concerning Parker introduced/created the SS phenomena...after having several custom guitars made with SS, I'll never buy Nickel/Silver again.

I actually was interested in these new Parkers until I found-out they're not SS ;)

7. robmarch

robmarch Member

I like the single cut body shape.

8. sosomething

sosomething Supporting Member

I kind of doubt that the average guitar buyer in the $500-$600 range is that concerned with nickle vs. ss frets.

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I just played a P-36 last night. When I first saw this unholy alliance between a Fly and a Tele in magazine ads, I was put off by the looks. It looked much better to me in person, and better yet it played great. The P-36 I tried was feather light, medium slightly narrow neck with a rounded feel. Twangy, and sounded big for it's size. At around $600, it was a very tempting little number.

It also gave me GAS though to try out a Southern Fly, which looks like the American made version, with a more traditional Fly-style exo-skeleton neck.

/rick