1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New Parker P 36 and PM 20

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daddyo, Apr 24, 2005.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have just been looking at the Parker P36 and PM 20. The P36 is in natural swamp ash body/maple bolt-on neck with a tele/piezo setup. The PM 20 is a set neck mahogany with a quilted bubinga top. Both are hardtail. Both are breath taking in appearance and not bad for weight - 7lbs - not Parker Fly weight but still light. As these are the new models from Korea, I was wondering has anyone any experience with them? I didn't have time to play them. I can't believe they're under $600 CDN. That's cheaper than a Hwy 1 strat/ tele. They are the nicest guitars I've seen in that price range.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have played both and like any guitar they need to be set up. The pickups aren't much to write about. That negative stuff out of the way I think the construction is remarkable. Absolutely one of the best neck joints I have ever seen is on the PM 20 and it also comes with a flame maple top. The surface finish is top notch. They both seem to have a good acoustic sound so with good pickups I bet they would sound great. Great guitar for the money that's for sure.

[​IMG]

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

How is the neck?

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

It's very well, thank you:BEER

If you mean the size :jo

It is on the robust side I think like a LP standard. They do a very nice fret job and a dark rosewood board but don't expect Fly or Lentz quality ;)

5. guitgeek

guitgeek Member

It's sort of a shame that these new lower priced guitars from parker don't have stainless steel frets; i think they would sell a lot more.

6. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Pretty stupid concerning Parker introduced/created the SS phenomena...after having several custom guitars made with SS, I'll never buy Nickel/Silver again.

I actually was interested in these new Parkers until I found-out they're not SS ;)

7. robmarch

robmarch Member

I like the single cut body shape.

8. sosomething

sosomething Supporting Member

I kind of doubt that the average guitar buyer in the $500-$600 range is that concerned with nickle vs. ss frets.

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I just played a P-36 last night. When I first saw this unholy alliance between a Fly and a Tele in magazine ads, I was put off by the looks. It looked much better to me in person, and better yet it played great. The P-36 I tried was feather light, medium slightly narrow neck with a rounded feel. Twangy, and sounded big for it's size. At around $600, it was a very tempting little number.

It also gave me GAS though to try out a Southern Fly, which looks like the American made version, with a more traditional Fly-style exo-skeleton neck.

/rick