New parts-o-caster project

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Red Barchetta, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Member

OK folks, yet another of us dashing himself on the rocks of the "build your own strat" shoreline!

Yes, I'm gonna do it...I started out intending to build a throw-together Strat for a friend of mine's son to have a decent guitar to take his lessons with....(he's playing his Dad's old 60's "Teisco Del WTF"). Well...as I thought about and began planning the project, I started thinking (dangerous)...hey, I've always wanted a Surf Green Strat with a mother-of-toilet seat pickguard...hey...this would be cool if I added...hey, what if I....you get the picture. Anyway, long story short, I'm building this Strat for ME. The kid is gonna get a Squire hardtail I've got kicking about that someone gave me....its much better than what he has.

Anyhow, for those who are interested, I'm gonna post a photo essay as this project moves along....

First up, the assembled pickguard...the pups and controls are from my 19 year old American Standard Strat....they came off some years ago when I put a pre-loaded Fralin Blues Special setup in my axe. Nice thing is, the pup covers and knobs are all pre-aged (natural gig aging) and a bit grimy, so they've got the old vintage look going. Here are a few pictures....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body (MIM 57 reissue) should be coming tomorrow, so the trem (57 reissue)will go in, and I'll wire it up....

More to come as I do it!

RB

2. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Member

Alright! Stage two....

I got the body in...here it is:

[​IMG]

I decided to shield the control cavity with copper foil...I've got the separate foil shield behind the pickguard...

[​IMG]

Here are two views with the pickguard, jackplate, temolo, and strap buttons on....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now...just waiting for the neck...after I get that, I need to pick out some tuning machines and string trees....got the trem back cover on the way...

Makin' progress!

RB

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Lookin' Gooooood!!

What neck are you using?

4. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Member

I have a rosewood board MIM neck on the way.

RB

5. 5E3

5E3 Member

I love that color combination. Looking forward to seeing the finished project! :AOK

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have the pick guard and pup covers off an '88 Am Std that have aged nicely. I just need to decide on a color.

7. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Member

Yeah, having the 89 guard and pups kinda was the catalyst for me starting this project...even though I'm in it deeper ($) than I wanted initially, I still saved alot with already having the electronics...

RB

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

My problem is, all I have are four pieces of plastic and I want to build a frikkin guitar around them! :messedup

9. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

They look nice but $81.00 is a lot of $$$ for a set of tuners. I'm on my fifth partscaster using Gotoh, Kluson-style tuners. They're about half the money and I've had zero tuning issues.

11. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Member

They do look good...the hipshots, that is...but I have to agree...81 bucks is a lot....

I just have to wait and see what the neck is drilled for....should be here today or tomorrow...

RB

12. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

That is the "list" or direct price, they are more like around $56 for a chrome set.

13. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Member

Okey Dokey...

Here it is with the neck bolted on...a MIM Fender replacement. I'm fighting a bit of the flu or something, so it will likely be the weekend before I get some tuners on there. But, she's starting to look like a guitar!

[​IMG]

RB

14. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Member

Okay Gearpagers,

She's DONE. A friend had some Fender tuners at his shop, so, slapped those suckers on there, strung 'er up with some D'Addario 10's, intoned, did a little mild fret dressing, installed the backplate for the trem cavity, and awwaaaayyyy we go...

Here are a couple of pics (looks a lot like the last one) second one is posed next to her sibling....(89 Am St. w/ Fralin Blues)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She sounds a bit brighter than the Fralin equipped one, not as hot p'ups, but really has a more "traditional" Strat vibe going. The trem works really well...so far so good.

I'll maybe do an update after a week or so to give some further opinion.

RB

15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Congratulations, Red!

They both look great but I really like the new one.

Enjoy!