New patch cables, what brands?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Redhouse-Blues, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I'm doing some upgrading to my pedal board and I want to upgrade all my cables to something decent. I've been using Dimarzio's for years and they are worn out. What cables should I look at? Or should I go with new Dimarzio's?

Plus, I'm thinking about adding a 8 loop looper, Pro's and Cons?

Right now my pedals are, Pitch Black, Dunlop Buddy Guy Wah, Fulltone, GT-500 and Full-drive 2, Mini Deja Vibe, Carbon Copy and a Nova Delay, soon to upgraded to something else. Time Line or Time Factor.

Suggestions?

2. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

If you don't mind soldering, you should just make your own cables.

3. nikkibikini

nikkibikini Member

i have some really nice boutiquey cables to and from the pedalboard but on the board i use those planet waves 3 pack patch cables.

im a real stickler for quality cable by the way. so take that FWIW.

4. swellguy66

swellguy66 Member

Lava Cable's do-it-yourself pedal board kit. Crystal clear.

5. Dashface

Dashface Member

I have to say, in my opinion the best sounding cables are Evidence Audio. I use them all over the place - my pedalboards are all fully done up with their monorail cable, which sounds phenomenal and is very robust. I built mine using Lava ends.

6. edgie

edgie Member

Try Bullet Cables Slugs. Not as flexible as the other solderless cables but nice specially if you tend to swap pedals often and you need to angle your plugs vs. each other. I find that thin patch cables has a tendency to break inside if you keep on moving them around.

7. SSol28

SSol28 Member

8. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Supporting Member

Lava from TurtleHeadBlues, our local member here who is One of the Crew at Lava.

There has been nothing but good tidings from the Lava Company.
    Complete product range covers all cabling requirements at all price points depending on what your requirements are.

Check the web site to give yourself a brief run on the different cabling options, and then
    if you are able to shoot TurtleHeadBlues a PM, he may be able to answer any further questions you may have.

Lava all the way. It is the only way.

Guarenteed. There is plenty of good supporters of Lava products here.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  9. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

If you are intending to go with a loop strip, then a DIY build is the best option. You can go solderless or soldered connections, bear in mind that w/ a loop strip, your cables and plugs will double. Solderless connections can be costly, the plugs alone average over $5/plug. Soldered plugs will vary but less than the solderless plugs.

As mentioned previously in a post, the most cost efficient method would be to build up your own cables and soldered connections would be best, IMO. I have been using the GLS pancake plugs for years, you can get them for .69-$1/each depending on your quantities. If you need 45 or more they are .69/each thru: Speakerrepair.com

As for the cables, you have a large selection to choose from. Evidence Audio Monorail is great but cost > $2.50/ft thru Best-Tronics.com. They also sell Mogami and George L's cable in bulk. I prefer the Mogami 2319 but purchase them thru Redco.com for .40-.42/ft.

10. hktk

hktk Member

This would be a good option.

I like the lava kit. It has a very nice clear sound, its slim and reasonably priced. I had a bit of trouble with getting the solder less to work but I'm putting it down to my own workmanship rather than the quality of the product. I ended up using the cable with some pancake plugs which I'm happy with.

11. rico1204

rico1204 Member

12. walkers

walkers Member

+1 on soldering

I think learning to solder is one of the best things I have done...I use the GLS pancake plugs and LAVA mini ELC for all of my patch cables - perfect connections and crystal clear sound.

As far as soldering, it allows me to swap pups, fix friends guitars make cables...very enjoyable.

13. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Another +1 on soldering. GLS pancakes are probably the universal answer for plugs (make sure the will fit side-by-side anywhere that may occur in your setup, like a DD-5). Do your research on cable and pick what you think will give you the sound you're looking for. Mogami is always good, as are Evidence Audio and Lava. I prefer Canare for my rig.

14. teleclem

teleclem Member

What kind of ends exactly?

15. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

Thanks for all the replies!! I'm a guitar repair guy, so I'm all about making my own. I'll look into each suggestion and read the reviews. I just want something that leaves the tone as is and has no added noise, with out breaking the bank.

What about a looper? Do you think having 7 or 8 true bypass pedals you need one?

16. jfiedler26

jfiedler26 Member

No George L's love? I'm not a very good with a solder iron, and have been using these for years. Love them.

17. Pumpaction

Pumpaction Member

I recommend Evidence Audio Monorail cable and Switchcraft plugs.

18. ToneRanger72

ToneRanger72 Supporting Member

I love EA cables but struggled getting them to work with George L plugs - in the future I'd probably go the soldered route.
    BTW - anyone know of a good wire stripper to prep the Monorails for soldering?

19. rico1204

rico1204 Member

I just use a sharp razor blade or exacto knife. If you role the cable around the knife and apply a gentle amount of pressure, it cuts right through without damaging the wires.