New pedal board build - A thread in which a pedal board will be built

liv_rong

Nothing outstanding to see here, folks. Just a little thread that Ill document my second pedal board build in. I have no drawn plans, its all in my head and will morph as I go. It wont be anywhere near as perfect, innovative or as cool as a lot of the other boards Ive seen around here, but it will do just fine for me. The first board I built had some issues and this revision will hopefully fix those issues without creating new ones. I do have a large assortment of power and hand tools but am missing some key tools for this project such as a router and table saw, but Ill make due. Im trying to do this as cheap as possible with what I have on hand, though I know Ill have to purchase a few things.

First step today was selecting the wood from left over flooring from our house remodel a couple years back. Again, Im missing proper sized and quantity clamps but this should be ok. Ill mount these to 1/4" plywood with glue and nails from the bottom to lock it all together next.

IMG_5734_zpslqtwuxlf.jpg

IMG_5733_zps35f1atgq.jpg

4b454e

Silver Supporting Member
Can't wait to watch the progress (and possibly steal some ideas for the rebuild I'm contemplating) - thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

liv_rong

Not much to show yet. Yesterday went and got a few extra supplies like stain, nails, plywood and more glue. Today I put some pedals on the boards to get a better idea for layout for my uses, took some measurements and made some marks. Maybe tomorrow I'll do some cutting, glueing and nailing!

Question though, I have no experience with power bricks and am wondering about heat issues. I know I shouldn't block the side vents but what about the top? This is being mounted basically inside a wooden box with little ventilation. Should I be concerned? I was planning on mounting it with the box going through the back panel on the board and flush to the end. Thanks for any advice here!

xcc

Not much to show yet. Yesterday went and got a few extra supplies like stain, nails, plywood and more glue. Today I put some pedals on the boards to get a better idea for layout for my uses, took some measurements and made some marks. Maybe tomorrow I'll do some cutting, glueing and nailing!

Question though, I have no experience with power bricks and am wondering about heat issues. I know I shouldn't block the side vents but what about the top? This is being mounted basically inside a wooden box with little ventilation. Should I be concerned? I was planning on mounting it with the box going through the back panel on the board and flush to the end. Thanks for any advice here!
Are you planning on having holes or slots for cable routing? If so that might be enough ventilation depending on where you use the board mostly. I had the same PSU and it never got too warm.

diego.fresh

Are you going to use Velcro? I just built a pedal board out of a butcher block from Ikea and decided to use chain links to mount the pedals to the board. This approach causes holes to be drilled, which kinda sucks. But, if you can get a semi permanent layout, it's pretty nice.

Mine is still in pieces but I'll get some pics to share to help give you ideas.

liv_rong

Are you planning on having holes or slots for cable routing? If so that might be enough ventilation depending on where you use the board mostly. I had the same PSU and it never got too warm.

Yes there will be both actually. And it will rest on rubber feet about 1/4" off the ground. This will be a home board too.

liv_rong

Are you going to use Velcro? I just built a pedal board out of a butcher block from Ikea and decided to use chain links to mount the pedals to the board. This approach causes holes to be drilled, which kinda sucks. But, if you can get a semi permanent layout, it's pretty nice.

Mine is still in pieces but I'll get some pics to share to help give you ideas.

Cool thanks. I've thought about the chainlink route but like Velcro just for ease of changing things around.

liv_rong

This project is moving slow, but at least moving. Today after work I cut the pieces I glued the other day and did a little mock up to get more pieces ready to glue. Once I picked those out(side pieces in mock up) and marked them I glued them together and hopefully in a couple days Ill cut those to size. Once those are cut I still have to sand the edges of the floor or bottom pieces(whatever you want to call them) so the side pieces will fit with minimal gaps. I may run into a problem with the two end pieces because the bottom of those slats have grooves in them and they will be visible a bit. So, I could go buy some more oak and cut it, which I should, but between the stuff I bought the other day, which was about $20, and the power supply Ive already spent a lot. I mean Im not looking for perfection here. So Ill most likely just fill those voids with wood filler and once its stained you'll probably never notice once its on the floor with pedals on it. Man......now that I think about it while typing this out maybe Ill go take a look at the wood place by me and see if they have anything the correct thickness and cheap.

IMG_5763_zpssr5zstgb.jpg

IMG_5762_zpssrc6jq2d.jpg

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
This project is moving slow, but at least moving. Today after work I cut the pieces I glued the other day and did a little mock up to get more pieces ready to glue. Once I picked those out(side pieces in mock up) and marked them I glued them together and hopefully in a couple days Ill cut those to size. Once those are cut I still have to sand the edges of the floor or bottom pieces(whatever you want to call them) so the side pieces will fit with minimal gaps. I may run into a problem with the two end pieces because the bottom of those slats have grooves in them and they will be visible a bit. So, I could go buy some more oak and cut it, which I should, but between the stuff I bought the other day, which was about $20, and the power supply Ive already spent a lot. I mean Im not looking for perfection here. So Ill most likely just fill those voids with wood filler and once its stained you'll probably never notice once its on the floor with pedals on it. Man......now that I think about it while typing this out maybe Ill go take a look at the wood place by me and see if they have anything the correct thickness and cheap.

IMG_5763_zpssr5zstgb.jpg

IMG_5762_zpssrc6jq2d.jpg

Nice- i dont think youll have any overheat issues with the power supply

diego.fresh

those left and right panels, with the angles, were the toughest part for my build... luckily, when I was done, I had two more pieces of wood to fit on my second board! Good luck man

jaymeister

Looks great so far. Are you planning on keeping the sides like that, or cutting them down flush with the top?

I have a stack of remnant wood floor in my attic...you are motivating me to give this a shot.

liv_rong

Looks great so far. Are you planning on keeping the sides like that, or cutting them down flush with the top?

I have a stack of remnant wood floor in my attic...you are motivating me to give this a shot.

Thanks man! The side pieces will all be flush.

liv_rong

Finally some real progress today. I got everything cut, mocked it all up, then took it all apart so I could permanently glue and screw it together. I also did some rough sanding to get everything smooth and all the edges lined up with each other. The raised tier on the right will have 1/4" oak trimmed out around that opening later.

IMG_5794_zpsakfdexsp.jpg

IMG_5795_zpsq8uq4hl7.jpg

IMG_5793_zpsmbj5gbgd.jpg

IMG_5797_zpsenxsdhme.jpg

You can see here that this piece got split open by a screw.............damn it. But I took the screw out, pried it open a bit and put a bunch of glue in there, clamped it back down and put one of the screws back. Should be ok once its all dried. Gotta sand this all up still after this glue dries.

IMG_5796_zpsloz6p3bw.jpg

IMG_5798_zpsgjgnhwmu.jpg

Still lots more to do after that crack it fixed and that end is sanded. Next is cutting out the opening for the power supply plug and drilling out holes for trs jacks. Then a final fine sanding, stain, poly, rubber feet, pedal lay out and velcro.

This is, as usual, not turning out quite as good as Id hoped, but overall Im pretty happy where its going.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom