New pedal board build - A thread in which a pedal board will be built

liv_rong

Applied the first coat of stain last night and this is how it looks this morning:

IMG_5822_zpsemlxm9b2.jpg

IMG_5824_zpsexnxg4gc.jpg

IMG_5823_zpsfez5xmh2.jpg

liv_rong

Well, nearly complete! I applied the 2nd coat of stain yesterday afternoon and now am waiting for the polyurethane to dry. In the meantime(non pedal related) I set up my kit again. I hadnt played it since a show over two weeks ago, been spending my free time on that board!

IMG_5834_zpsukgjplu1.jpg

IMG_5835_zpsvb9mlvuc.jpg

liv_rong

Well I wanted to have some completed pics up tonight but catastrophe has struck! While attempting to screw the rubber feet to the bottom I hit a pocket screw and split one of the sides! I was going a little too fast since I was so close to the finish line and failed to notice the pocket screw right next to where I pre-drilled. Since I was near a short emd of the side I didnt drill as deep for fear that I would go right through to the top. So I drileld a hole then drove the screw in and "POW" the whole thing split about 4-5" long straight down the side. I didnt get any before pics becasue I rushed to attempt to fix it. I poured a bunch of glue in the crack and spread it around the best I could with a razor blade to work it in. Hopefully it holds. I think it should since the other mistake where I split the thing held fine. Oh man, gotta slow down and pay attention to the details!!!!

IMG_5837_zpsyhefgy3i.jpg

IMG_5836_zpskmyxvfxq.jpg

4b454e

Silver Supporting Member
Well I wanted to have some completed pics up tonight but catastrophe has struck! While attempting to screw the rubber feet to the bottom I hit a pocket screw and split one of the sides! I was going a little too fast since I was so close to the finish line and failed to notice the pocket screw right next to where I pre-drilled. Since I was near a short emd of the side I didnt drill as deep for fear that I would go right through to the top. So I drileld a hole then drove the screw in and "POW" the whole thing split about 4-5" long straight down the side. I didnt get any before pics becasue I rushed to attempt to fix it. I poured a bunch of glue in the crack and spread it around the best I could with a razor blade to work it in. Hopefully it holds. I think it should since the other mistake where I split the thing held fine. Oh man, gotta slow down and pay attention to the details!!!!

IMG_5837_zpsyhefgy3i.jpg

IMG_5836_zpskmyxvfxq.jpg
Son
Of
A
Biscuit!

I just did something similar to my board, while carving out some room for right angle jacks to stick down so I could scoot pedals to sit even along the bottom rail. Spliiiit about a six-inch sliver. Mine's not as lovely as yours and I've resigned myself to a rebuild in the not too distant future, so I just filed it smooth and shook my head.

Keep at it - can't wait to get to wiring!! :)

Abram4235

Silver Supporting Member
What is this dual lock?

If you use dual lock, all you need is 4 SMALL squares on each corner of the pedal. I'm talking about quarter of an inch squared to hold the pedal extremely firmly in place. Otherwise, something will get ruined when you try to remove the pedal.

diego.fresh

I like using chain links and screws, but switching things around a lot results in lots of holes in the wood. You really need to get a somewhat permanent layout to use this method.

S. S. Bender

Good job liv_rong! Those mistakes are what give all woodworking projects "character," and I have no doubt that the glue used to repair them will be stronger than the wood itself. Also, I agree 100% with underdog726 and Abram4235 about using small pieces of dual-lock that will be concealed under the pedals. Please don't cover any of the nice grain of that pedal board with Velcro!

Last edited:

Wolfboy1

Kids, Grandkids, and Dogs...that's my life!
Silver Supporting Member
Absolutely love it!

I've made about 5 now and I think I love yours more than any of mine :aok

If you are here at TGP showing off your board build your are more likely than not a pedal fan. The Bicycle chain method is proabably not for you (or me). Very cool method to attach pedals but not good for switching/re-arranging. At this point, with such a beautiful pedalboard, my concern would be cable neatness. These things are quite handy:

s-l300.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-1-034-Bl...wn-Holders-Car-Audio-Split-Loom-/191229641416

01-adhesive-base_red-cable-tie.jpg

http://www.cableorganizer.com/adhesive-base/

I've used the electrical staples with the plastic piece but I had to cut the nails as they were to long and I hated hammering so close to the many wires underneath. The little black clips with a small screw are amazingly helpful.

Here's what I thought was my last build but after seeing yours I feel the urge to make another with less blingy crap. The leather corners are from Mesa, the aluminum trim hides many mistakes but not needed, the lights are cool but unnecessary. I need to focus more on weight relief.
Some kind of handles are a great help, I use them all the time with mine.
Love the jig work with the screws and hardwood. I have the tools to do that....thinking now. I have 6 Lovepedals due in Wednesday, when everything has been evaluated I might just start a new build.

10037316504_e6bd82bc93_c.jpg
10189288766_8480242efb_c.jpg

liv_rong

Thanks guys! So Im a bit confused on this dual lock. It looks just like velcro kind of, based on my Amazon search. Can someone link me to what they are using so I can take a look? If its the same stuff Im seeing couldnt I just use velcro in the same fashion? Thats kind of what I was originally thinking anyways, I wasnt going to run strips of velcro across this.

LionVerse

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys! So Im a bit confused on this dual lock. It looks just like velcro kind of, based on my Amazon search. Can someone link me to what they are using so I can take a look? If its the same stuff Im seeing couldnt I just use velcro in the same fashion? Thats kind of what I was originally thinking anyways, I wasnt going to run strips of velcro across this.
Dual lock is plastic and the same on both sides. It has little mushroom shaped pieces that lock together as opposed to velcro's hook and loop system. It's very strong, doesn't wear out over time and comes in clear (which is nice for a good looking board like yours).

maxresdefault.jpg

mbosco

Nice job on your build! I just finished mine a about a week ago and I had to chuckle at a couple of the "oop's" you experienced as they were similar to a couple of my surprises. Nothing like engineering on the fly to get the creative juices flowing. Again, nice job, it looks great.

mbosco

By the way, I used industrial strength Velcro and think it looks great. Function wise, I've used both Velcro/Dual lock and don't see any major advantages one way or the other. My new board just replaced a Velcro one that was probably 10-15 years old and I never had any issues with wear or strength over time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom