1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Pedal Board Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock-On!!, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

Well the college boy leased a house for this next school year, no more dorm room noise restrictions.:dude
    Since he is really into music, I let him take my old pedal board and one of my amps back to school with him.

Now, I am trying to assemble a new board for myself and have been acquiring some new and old pedals for the project.
    So far this is what I have;
    Peterson Strobe Tuner
    Budda Wah
    EB Volume Pedal
    Barber Tone Press
    Bad Monkey
    Fulltone OCD
    Boss Delay
    Boss Chorus
    Radial Amp Switcher
    Pedal Power II Plus
    Gorge L Connectors and Cable

I am still trying to decide if I want to run everything through a so called “True Bypass Loooper”

I will be building my on board loosely based on the trailer trash design. I play mostly classic rock ranging from the Allman Brothers to ZZ Top, nothing heaver than Ozzy, a little country and acoustic.

I guess what I am wanting to know before I start construction on the board is;
    Am I overlooking any “Must Have Pedals”. A couple of the obvious might be a phaser or flanger, but I not sure I would use them.

I don’t want to get into this pedal is better than that pedal, just suggestions of what other types of effects some of you guys use that I may be overlooking.

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Digitech whammy, MXR phase 90, maybe a low-pass filter of some sort?...and a good chorus ;)

3. Kezend

Kezend Member

id only choose the phase90 for the music he has listed. i dont see pitch shifting necessary unless you really need it. and a low pass filter? no way. i was thinking maybe a light fuzz? would prob come in handy.

4. loofery

loofery Member

Totally get a fuzz .. look into the Skreddy Mayo or a Fuzzface clone

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

yea...+1 on the skreddy mayo...I love mine!

6. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

OK,
    That’s a new one on me. :NUTS
    I guess I will google it to get some 411.

7. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

I just found some prices for the skreddy mayo:(
    That is a bit more than I think I would want to spend on a Fuzz.
    Are there other models that are equal in tone and quality that are less expensive?

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The mayo is really a Big Muff clone (a great one). Try out the new EHX Little Big Muff, it sounds great!

However, my suggestion would be to get a clean boost for lead bits. Of course I recommend the Catalinbread SCP!

9. loofery

loofery Member

Well the Eurythmia (sp?) ICBM is also a good muff clone, it's 145 new, I believe. You can probably find one used for 115-120.
    The Fulltone Soulbender is a good fuzz too, but in a different vein. You could pick up a good used one for 125.

I haven't heard any good fuzzes under $100 yet. Except for my triangle big muff, but that was 1/30 of what it should have cost.
    You could also find an old op-amp Big Muff under 100, if you could put it in a loop the bypass wouldn't matter.

oh yeah, The Little Big Muff is good, but supposedly it's noisy and very thick, which you probably wouldn't want if you're going for classic creamy fuzz tones.

10. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

For $175.00 or so, you can try the MJM Foxey Fuzz, which is probably the best original Big Muff clone I've ever heard. Don't know what your budget is, but that could be an option.

11. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Ive been seeing alot from "Earthquaker Devices" on ebay... they are apparently some new upstart boutique company. Their pedals have a low price tag, but all their clips sound pretty sweet.

here's their online store: http://stores.ebay.com/EarthQuaker-Devices

12. jero

jero Member

how about a vibe and a clean/leadboost?

13. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

I was going to ask about the Earthquaker stuff. This might be an opportunity to pick one up for a reasonable price before they become the next "sliced bread" pedal.

The other one that peaked some interest is the Das Fuzz Ge, it is based on the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face. Anyone have any experience with that one?

14. radcliff

radcliff Member

15. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

Would the AnalalogMan Sunface Pedal with NKT 275 transistor be a good choice?

16. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

I picked up an AnalalogMan Sun Face Fuzz and I am working on the board signal chain and layout.
    I plan on using a bypass strip to activate each of the pedals in a loop (I hate tap dancing around the board), and have a couple more questions.

This is the order I plan to run the effects;
    Peterson Strobe Tuner
    Sun Face Fuzz
    Budda Wah
    Barber Tone Press
    Bad Monkey
    Fulltone OCD
    EB Volume Pedal
    Boss Delay
    Boss Chorus
    ISP Decimator Noise Gate
    Radial Amp Switcher

Below is a very simplified image of the signal chain.

(Click on the photo for a larger version)
    [​IMG]

Does anyone see any major issues with this layout? Do I need a buffer of some type in the chain or will the ISP do the job.

17. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Curious as to why you need the noise gate?
    Rob

18. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I don't know too much about buffers. However, when I have my signal running through a bunch of true bypass effects and my EQ-20 and ISP Decimator (both in bypass), the sound is a lot better than without those 2 buffered pedals.

Having said that I would run my delay after my chorus. If you like delay before chorus, than who I am I to tell you not to? Also, I'd put the ISP before delay, as it can mess with the decaying repeats

19. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

Good idea about the chorus, ISP and delay configuration.

Is your EQ-20 near the end of the chain or up front?