New pedal build - dirty boost - pics inside...

Deaj

Hello all,

I just finished another pedal build this afternoon based on a circuit posted on a DIY forum. It's a circuit similar to the COT-50 with a Rangemater-like tone control. I laid it out on the breadboard this morning and I was amazed at how great this circuit sounds! The gain and tone controls are very interactive. I built it on perf-board and threw an enclosure together for it. I'm really jazzed about this one!

Here are a couple of pics:

Guyburn

Your welcome :) That's a super clean looking build there Deaj, nice and simple. Did you try it with other diodes?

Deaj

Your welcome :) That's a super clean looking build there Deaj, nice and simple. Did you try it with other diodes?
Thanks! :)

I did, yes. I set up symmetrical and asymmetrical pairs of a variety of silicon diodes and LED's as well as two different pairs of Ge diodes and switched between them while the circuit was on the breadboard. I settled on a pair of Ge diodes that I received in a GGG kit a while ago (I'm awaiting an answer from GGG for the diodes - I'll post the part number once I've heard back from them). Other's sounded nice as well but Ge diodes sounded best to my ears.

Deaj

Did you A/B it with a real COT50?

Also, have you tried any of the other projects onhttp://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com? It looks like there are some interesting circuits there. I just wish there was some sound samples of each one! Gah!
Yes I did. I have a 'burst COT50 blue LED version and I was able to dial in my build to sound and behave just like the COT. It's a great pedal!

Guyburn

Did you try mosfets in the clipping section? I hear that is supposed to change the character of the pedal quite a bit?

Deaj

Did you try mosfets in the clipping section? I hear that is supposed to change the character of the pedal quite a bit?
I did - I believe they were BS170's. To my ears they sounded somewhat similar to 1N4148 diodes - can't remember more than that. I know I'll be breadboarding this circuit again. There's likely a good bit more potential than I found in my limited tinkering with it. As soon as I heard what I wanted I built it (I can be rather impatient :D). While I liked quite a few different clipping devices the 1N270's came closest to what I wanted to hear from this circuit. That's with the circuit exactly as posted though.

eru

I really want to get into building pedals, because I think I'm starting to know what I really want... and it doesn't exist yet.

I've built an A/B box for my tuner/mute, and I'm finishing up some true bypass boxes this weekend... just need to figure out what's ambitious enough for my next project to spur me on but not get me too hopelessly frustrated...

Guyburn

This build doesn't look too challenging. Did you ever breadboard the build again Deaj?

Oh - And is there a possibility of, dare I say it, sounds? :D

PremiumPlus

Hi Deaj,
I breadboarded this one and the Peppermill over at runoffgroove.com and if you haven't tried it I recommend the Peppermill too. It is really reactive to the player and plays really clean until you dig in to the strings, then it grinds real nice. Very much like my Blackstone on low gain.
-Dave

JPenn

Nice looking pedal deaj!! I've gotta try my hand at perf & building, it is very interesting to me.

Trending Topics