New pedal from Maven Peal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mude, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I don't either...that's a lot of $$ for an OD

2. 6L6Blues

6L6Blues Member

You're right. At least if it works like the sag control on my Maven Peal Zeeta amp (which I would assume it does), then it's definitely feel and response. It would be hard to convey in a clip.

I originally bought the amp mostly for the adjustable wattage. After understanding the sag and feeling the difference, it's no short of awesome.

I'm sure Dave has contstructed a great pedal. I'm looking forward to hearing some reviews once people start playing around.

3. Stratso

Stratso Member

Am I the only one who never heard of Melvan Peel before?

4. rewog

rewog Member

I agree that it would be largely a "feel" thing, but you should still be able to hear it to some extent.
    How could you not hear a sag and then bloom effect, and the quality of the sustain and decay.

5. wattsup32

wattsup32 Gold Supporting Member

When I posted here that I was going to get a usedMaven Peal Tuskadero, Dave immediately began emailing me and offering to answer any I might have along the way. Several emails and a couple of weeks after playing the amp I was so blown away by the amp that I bought another used Maven Peal: and RG-88. Dave sent schematics and all kinds of other things when he found out I got one without me even asking for them.

The point is to say this: The best amps, vintage or new, boutique or production, are Maven Peals. Dave is truly an innovator. If the pedal is priced at $300 you can be certain it is worth that and more. On top of the fact that everything Dave makes turns to gold, the customer service cannot be beaten. Forget the pedal. He'll give you $300 in customer service alone. Buy with the utmost confidence!

6. dbx

dbx Member

KLON
    Ethos
    Zendrive2
    Tim
    Lovepedal Purple Plexi
    Lovepedal COT50 Gold
    Lovepedal DOV 3 knob
    Fargen/Menatone VOS

Priced any of these lately? I think Dave's early adopter price is squarely in the upper boutique levels and he's in good company. The OP-amps are an interesting component but it's what he's doing with them that's the trick...I hope Dave will chime in here an give more info about how the chips are used in this design. If the Howler actually pulls off the SAG effect of his amps, this will be a very useful and different tone shaper than we've seen...

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

I don't know the pedal but I know Dave's amps (with the exception of the Zeeta) they do whatever he says they do.
    I still play the Ganesha every day, why? It reminds me of what feel, expression and good British tone really means. Very flexible in how it is set up too.
    Build quality is as good as any handcrafted amp on the market. Dave's an artist in that respect.

Best, Pete.

8. grism

grism Member

I put an order in for one too. Honestly, I think its a STEAL at the introductory price! This pedal is a completely new and innovative breath of fresh air for pedals, and like the previous posters have said, when Dave states that this pedal will introduce sag into the signal, it certainly will within the boundaries of what a pedal is capable of.

I buy VERY few pedals sight unseen but I have a really good feeling about the Howling Wolf.

Aaaaarrroooooooooo!

Michael.

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

My favorite OD's are
    Jetter GSR $229
    Jetter GSB$229
    OCD $162
    Mosferatu $249

10. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I just blew the cobwebs out of my Ganesha tonight, which makes me wonder why I don't play it every day. Goosed it with a Black Box Inferno fuzz and let me tell you, it doesn't get much better than that. A Howler/Ganesha combo, can't wait to try that one.;)

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

I would have one in my den but the Wife draws a line at that..........hence the C60............
    I've got it set up to go thru 2x12 of Greenbacks and a switchable choice of either two KT66's or two EL34's. Hmmmm, think I need a 4X12!

Best, Pete.

12. smv929

smv929 Member

I just ordered the Howler. I'm very intriqued to hear this pedal and its sag. I agree with a previous poster: Everything that Dave has ever claimed has always been on the money. Not only did I buy the Ganesha sight unseen (which I never do but only did because of talking to Dave AND because the feature list was too good to not try), but later had it modded with a Warren Haynes mid boost mod that I heard about. Each time, I was extremely happy with the results which were just as he described. By the way, that mod allows me still set it at the original tone, but now it has the capability to get a ton more mid boost if necessary. That mid really helps me cut through my band's mix and gives a cool sustain to solos. Anyway, I'm a fan of Dave's and his amps and all the features he puts in each one(easy bias, sag, variable wattage, power conditioning or whatever the term is, built like a tank etc.). OK, I'll stop.

13. smv929

smv929 Member

Responding to the poster who said the sag may be a feature you feel more than you can hear in a sample. That's part true. You can definetly feel sag work and you need to experience that to truely appreciate it. It makes notes jump out, pick attack seem smoother, more forgiving, easier to play. However, at the same time, you CAN hear the pleasant warmth or change in picking attack. I do think experiencing both feel AND hearing it is best.

By the way, here's a simple tip for anyone who has one of Dave's amps: I always hear how cool the sag feature is to make an amp sound like it's cranked and it does that well. However, Dave's sag feature always is a must more anyone who does funky style rhythms. Turn the sag down (or all the off) and your chords will smack the audience in the face (in a good way). It makes the signal strong and clean and cut through a mix. For instance, in one song, I will be playing my Ganesha with a sag'gy blues tune, then we'll get ready to do a james brown tune. I will adjust down the sag and get an amazing old school funk thing. Before the sag control and the Ganesha, I had to fight a 100 watt amp. It had to be 100 watts loud in order to handle the funk/cut through the mix. However, it's a nightmare trying to quickly switch between clean and a saggier blues solo tone in such a rig. Carrying two amps is not practical. I've found the sag control simplified my rig and I relax more instead of worrying about my OD pedal settings so that I have enough drive but not too much for my upcoming solo.

I'm very excited to get my Howler and try the Peal knob. It sounds like it could be a very unique pedal if it does what the Ganesha's Sag control does.

14. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I finally got a chance to plug mine in this evening (things have been hectic). A couple of observations...

So this is not a gain-monster pedal - some decent boost, don't get me wrong, but not dozens of dBs by any stretch. Which actually I like - I hate "paying" for gain I'll never be able to use. But with the volume at noon and the gain at about 3:00 it wasn't much louder than unity. Great breakup sound, but not overbearing.

The tone control is very subtle - a little extra sparkle up top, a little smoothness on the bottom, but no radical shifts in tone.

The "Peal" (sag to you and me) knob is also subtle, but you can definitely feel it and you can hear notes start blooming in the sustain the more you have. But the sag on my RG88 is much more pronounced.

I need to spend more quality time with it, and I need to play it louder, but my initial impressions are very positive. I'll try to put some critical listening in this weekend.

15. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

The Tim is about..what....$150 direct new? I'm not sure where it fits into this discussion.

16. dbx

dbx Member

Yes, but the going rate (what people are willing to pay) is in the same order of magnitude of the Howler. My point being that the discounted ($300) price is not really out of line with what these other examples are fetching...

17. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I should be getting mine this month I think.
    Love his amps so I jumped the introductory offer figure it's going to be awesome!

18. onemind

onemind Member

Well I guess I'm the first of the bunch to pay "full price" Though I did get a small discount for being a Mavel Peal Owner. It's very much like David says, a pedal that provides as much in the way of 'feel' as it does in tone. Mine has a bit more gain, and can get a very liquid rounded mid lead sound. The peal control works as advertised. It's an eighteen watt pedal, which makes me wonder if I should be trying to heftier power supply on all my gain pedals!

It matches up with the Ganesha head very well, and actually lets me dial down the wattage even further with no discernible loss in tone. Three was the bare minimum w/o to get to the sweet spot. I'm dialing in great sounds at two and below on the wattage control. really 'bedroom' amp volumes.

I'm excited to try it on another amp...but haven't yet.