NEW PEDAL LOVE: MXR Custom Badass Overdrive!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SetFiretotheHive, Feb 21, 2012.

1. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

Anyone else LOVING their new MXR badass (terrible name) Overdrive??

I picked one up on a whim and it immediately kicked my plimsoul off my board and seems to even sound better than my OD808 (may not be the case for many, but sounds better with my orange)

If you haven't tried one, do it! Extremely versatile, sounds phenomenal, and the 100hz knob is a great addition...i was skeptical because i thought the 78 distortion was awful (imo)

[​IMG]

2. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

I agree - name is terrible. It seems wierd to label something as "modified" the way they did as well.

"you should try the keeley modified MXR modified O.D." - mouthful

what are your thoughts on the bump and what does the 100hz knob do?

3. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

So far it seems to be a very transparent OD that does a great job of keeping your amp and guitar sounding just like your amp and guitar

The bump is just a gain boost it would seem, not super distorted territory but dirty enough.

100hz knob acts as a great bass-boost that doesn't get woofy or overwhelming at all but helps to fill out your sound a little bit, one thing i hate about my OD808 (which i still love) is that it bumps the mids like crazy but i lose low end. The MXR doesnt have that problem

4. blackie59

blackie59 Member

I've got both the M77 and the Classic Overdrive pedals and the M77 has a better midrange sound for me but the Classic Overdrive has more gain. I tend to play blues more and like the Badass pedal better at the present time.

5. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

because of the name i went with green rhino instead i have little ones at home don't need any pedals with bad names on them

6. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The 100Hz knob does look useful. I wish the name was different, I don't think I could show up to Church with this pedal. I already keep it quiet that my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass has a BadassII bridge.

As for the OD-808, if you get a Maxon OD-9 to my ears it does not lose low end. In some cases with the OD-808 I actually don't mind it losing a little low end, like if I am boosting my Vox Ac50 normal channel, which has plenty of low end.

How is the bypass on the Badass OD?

7. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I can't help ya much on the bass, as I used to own a Hwy One Jazz with that same bridge, but why not just get a large "R" to cover the A & D in the word badass, then it would just be the color of the pedal!!!

Custom BRass Modified O.D.

Most wouldn't be any wiser...

8. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

because basically green rhino is the same pedal made by the same guy for a little more why does one have to modify a modified O.D in the first place? I'm just wondering what the marketing guys were thinking.. oh yeah lets throw the word badass on it people will buy it for sure...

9. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

Well i think it's "modified" from the traditional MXR Overdrive....plus it's half the size of the way huge pedals (i'm all for nostalgia, but these could be in a housing 1/2 the size)

Either way, it's a great pedal!

10. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

No one has noticed on the bass so far.

Back to Overdrives, I have heard good things on the way huge Green Rhino. :)

11. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Supporting Member

I am still stuck between getting this and the Green Rhino for my JCM800.

12. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I've been using a Digitech Hardwire Overdrive the last few months and I really like it.

13. Jettrock

Jettrock Silver Supporting Member

I just got one of these and I have to say, I'm very impressed. The quality of the sound is just as good as my KOT and Timmy. It doesn't sound the same, which is a good thing, but it's right up there with both in my opinion . I could care less about the name or what it looks like. It could be called "the turd sandwich " and I'd still think it sounds great

14. Fabiano 777

Fabiano 777 Member

I am seriously thinking about getting one... i think it will fit the space (sonically and physically) between my modified TS9 and the Turbo Rat...

15. Class5

Class5 Member

I am amazed by the quality of this pedal. I prefer its sounds over other, more expensive brands in my collection.

16. Release

Release Member

How does this compare to the BB Preamp? Similar? Quite different?

Here's my deal..... I'm mostly using the BB as a low to mid gain OD. I use a Bad Monkey for the higher gain OD (around 2 o'clock) but I'm not thrilled with the clarity of the Monkey at that level. The BB can do everything the Monkey can (and more) but I'm one of those guys that would prefer using 2 OD's rather than riding my volume knob.

Can the MXR get the.... girth..... of a BB or the Monkey?
    Meaning....big, fat bottom end and still staying sharp all without it falling apart?

This has been on my radar but I'm not sure another BB might work perfectly for what I want.

17. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

May not need it on top of a BB IMO, but the MXR seems to "fatten" up your tone better than the BB i had

18. Release

Release Member

Sweet! Good to know.
    I gotta try this one then. Thanks.

19. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

20. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

Just my 2c.

I dig the name - I mean 'badass' isn't that bad of a word. It's nothing compared to something like "insert strong four letter curse word here" that some companies use (Wren and Cuff for example among others I can't remember). Badass just means it's just that, Badass (ie, cool, awesome, etc). When they came out with the '78 Distortion I thought it was cool as hell to have a pedal that says "Badass" on it and that they'd have the guts to do it. But maybe it's different if you have little ones around or play in church or are super religious/sensitive or don't like companies that call their products as being awesome (in an egotistical way). It doesn't bother me. I like a confident company. Mind you when I think of Dunlop I think of Harley Davidson in a way. Rock and roll players that are tough. I'm not sure why I have that image but when I think of that company, I think of that kind of clientele. Badass isn't even a curse word to me. The latter half alone, sure, but 'badass' is just so common and isn't even talking about the posterior and is simply saying something is wicked cool and awesome. It's just another word to me. It's no more of a curse word than "Assume" is, to me. They include the same 3 letters. Neither are talking about behinds. YMMV.

That said, the Mod'd OD is great. Love it. I use it and a Green Rhino, I use the MXR in unbumped mode (more transparent and doesn't step on the Rhino's toes by being too similar as the MXR in bumped mode IS the Green Rhino - make no mistake). I find in transparent mode it's a cross between a BOSS SD-1 and a Tim, and in bumped mode definitely an Ibanez TS-9/808 type of sound. I find it to be very versatile and for someone who wants a Green Rhino that's either smaller or more versatile (or both), this is the ticket.

I also dug the '78 Dist. It is VERY amp picky though - it's a modified DS-1 (BOSS) circuit and can be harsh through the wrong amp.