New Pedal @ NOC3 Effects! Pictures inside...

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by yeahyeahyeah, Dec 20, 2009.

1. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

I've been working on this one for about a year and am finally nearing production. Here are a couple teaser pics of the prototype, excuse the messy wiring.

The pedal:
    [​IMG]

The guts:
    [​IMG]

The design: Two discrete class A MOSFET gain stages with controls for volume, gain, treble, bass, and switchable low-pass limiting (highs are clipped while lows "pass" un-clipped). Simple to use, lots of good sounds. Overall tone is thick and crunchy and VERY dynamic.

All I have left to do is to get the enclosures made, I just have to finalize the name and graphics first. I think I'll call it the Rock Candy Overdrive unless I can think of something better. It is highly likely that the first units will have a unique finish.

Be on the lookout for more cool stuff coming from NOC3 Effects!

2. crbirdx

crbirdx Member

do you have a price range on these??
    thanks I still have the puredrive large ed.
    thanks

3. jfromel

jfromel Gold Supporting Member

Looks good Nick, any clips?

4. yeahyeahyeah

I'm trying for somewhere around $150 USD.

5. crbirdx

crbirdx Member

thanks 4 da info

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Maybe do a search...I THINK there is a Rock Candy line or pedal.
    Would just hate to have something surprise ya.

Can't wait to check this one out!

7. Curly

Curly Member

sounds like a winner!

8. Vintagegitar.no

Vintagegitar.no Member

9. fugot

fugot Member

the puredrive is the shizzle for clean boost to raspy throatiness....a great stand alone or stacking pedal.... i love the firefly , put me on the list (i know you are surprised)..

10. crbirdx

crbirdx Member

ditto on the list

11. mrscott99

mrscott99 Member

CLIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. fugot

fugot Member

I know i am going to like this one, and I haven't even heard it yet, first, it has side jacks. and the led is not "end of the world bright blue.... " seriously the puredrive has sent many famous pedals to the emporium....

will the new pedal have a clean blend control??? I hope so....

13. yeahyeahyeah

No clips yet but here's my attempt at describing the sound:

It cleans up like a fuzz face, sounds like an overdrive.

For those of you with a Pure Drive or a Firefly, the Rock Candy in comparison is completely different. First of all, its a much smaller circuit than either the Pure Drive or the Firefly. The RCO only has two transistors. Secondly, I was going for a different sound when I designed it. I wanted to capture the punchy and dynamic sound of a particular 50w amp with 6L6's pushed just past the edge but not heavily saturated.

If you're looking for sustain for days with lots of compression look elsewhere. The Rock Candy Overdrive is really great for that 90% of the time when you aren't soloing but still want to be heard. Lots of crunch when you dig in with a smooth decay and lots of rich overtones without the need for tons of chord mangling gain.

The EQ and tone shaping options of the RC are very user friendly with three controls: treble, bass, and the low-pass limiting switch.

1. The treble control is a simple control that alters the roll-off point or "knee" frequency at which the highs are cut. At fully CW there is no audible reduction of highs, while at fully CCW the treble frequencies start being reduced at 600 hz and roll off an additional 6dB per octave- more high cut than most would ever need.

2. The bass, or "thickness" knob controls the gain of the subs, bass and low mid frequencies in the second Mosfet gain stage. This allows the user to effectively control how much bass thump and low mid crunch they want. Roll this control back for a smoother distortion and a more focused mid range, crank it for a full bandwidth roar.

3. The low-pass limiting switch is somewhat like the clipping switch you'd find on pedals like the Pure Drive and various other boutique boxes but it is different in that the diodes that it is connected to are not hard clipping the entire signal. Rather, they are a part of a filter network and help to mimic the nonlinear clipping characteristics of tubes. If you listen as you switch between settings at moderate gain settings you will hear the signal become darker, smoother and more compressed at the most drastic setting (down). Or you will hear the signal become more crunchy, less compressed and bright.

Unity volume is just past 12 o'clock for most, with lots of extra volume left to be had in the remaining rotation.

The gain control goes from mostly clean with some crunch on top at fully CCW to a more saturated and heavy sounding distortion at fully CW. Once you pass 2 o'clock the gain control also starts to boost the mids slightly helping give the Rock Candy a great cutting lead tone while also keeping the bass tight.

It's just a really BIG sounding little box.

14. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Nick-what 50 watt 6L6 is that? Tweed Twin by any chance?

15. yeahyeahyeah

I'd rather not say. It is not meant to be "an amp in a box." I don't want it associated with any one single sound, because it can also cover the tones of a wonderful 45 watt KT66 amp very well. :dude

Both gain stages are Class A, same as tube pre-amps.

16. mrscott99

mrscott99 Member

updates!!!!!!!!!!!

17. crbirdx

crbirdx Member