New pedalboard almost assembled - missing one piece

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WaysideRickNJ, May 21, 2008.

1. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

After spending 3 months attempting to convince myself that off-the-shelf, unmodded Boss pedals sound "just fine," I have once again revisted the world of boutique-y pedals. Here's what I'm going to have going on

Budda Wah
    Emma DiscumBOBulator (in the mail)
    Fulltone FD2 MOSFET (in the mail)
    Keeley Fuzz Head
    MXR/CAE Clean Boost
    Boss TR-2 w/C4 Mod
    Ernie Ball VP JR
    Boss TU-12H (from VP Tuner Out)

I'm still coming to grips withthe fact that I have no delay on my board, but I never used it, so why take up the real estate? I'm also considering picking up a Keeley TR-2 to replace the one I have now, but I'm not sure it's worth it - thoughts?

The band I'm playing leans me towards a "Grateful Dead meets Black Crowes" playing style - do I have my bases covered?

Any help greatly appreciated. Also, if my signal chain (above) seems "off" - let me know how you would adjust it!

-Rick

2. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

If you don't use delay don't buy one!! The only thing with your order - I thought fuzz had to go first? I don't use fuzz, so I don't really know, but I thought it interacted with the pickups and would sound different after a buffered pedal.

3. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

Not 100% sure - that's why I ask for advice....LOL

4. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Fuzz can be fickle indeed. I tried mine first but ended up with it on down the line to make it sound better. Otherwise I was getting the "AM radio" tone.

5. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

PArt of the reason my real estate is laid out the way it is (wah on the R side, volume on the L side) is to allow the pedals to serve as a foot rest on either side for when I'm playing lap steel...would have to figuer out how to make the Fuzz first and keep it in the same spot.

6. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Nice list of pedals, man.

Does the C4 mod on the TR-2 address the volume drop issue?
    Personally, I feel that the volume level with the effect engaged is a matter of individual taste. Some people like it to be the same as the unaffected signal. I like it to be a little hotter, to emphasize the effect.

I have an EBS TremoLo that has a trim pot inside that allows me to set the volume to whatever level I like. That's the kind of control I expect when I'm dropping a lot of cash on a quality pedal.

7. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

The c4 mod definitely addresses most of the volume trop issue. I wish it was controllable (i.e. the reason I'm thinking about the Keeley mod)

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The Fuzz Head is not a "normal" fuzz, and it does not need to be first.
    Looks like all the pieces are there...

9. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

So, as far as trem pedals go, should I just upgrade to the Keeley, or are there better options around the same price point?