New Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JosephUmscheid, Mar 28, 2015.

1. JosephUmscheid

JosephUmscheid Member

Hey guys,

I have been playing guitar for about 5 years now and always just used my Boss DS-1 Pedal and a DeltaLab DS-1 but I've decided to start investing in more pedals but I want your advice.

What would be your suggestions for pedals be if I'm wanting to have a soft distortion and reverb most of the time? And a delay pedal that is a little more high quality than the DS-1?

Thanks

2. HughesP

HughesP Member

Probably not your be all end all solution, but in my journey I found it useful to have some sort of multi effect unit to sort of discover what I like / want, then slowly started going after the real things... Something like a zoom ms-50g would give you reverb and a whole bunch of overdrive, distorton and fuzz sounds, not to mention amp models and lots of other effects... Plus it still costs less than most stand alone reverb pedals...

3. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

4. D Rock

D Rock Member

Get a Rat. Great distortion that can go from cleanish boost, dirt with a little grit, full blown distortion and can also get into slight fuzz territory.

If you don't have a tube amp already I would start there though.

5. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

We need more information on your gear and style of music you play.

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

No disrespect to the guys who suggested a multi effects processor, but unless you have the budget for something pricey, my experience is they do a lot of things, none of them well. They do have cool features like built in jam tracks, usb interface, etc. Might be worth it to you if you like to mess with that stuff.

You need overdrive/distortion. Style of music dictates this.
    Modulation effects - chorus, flange, phaser, auto wah, and tremolo type of effects. Modulation filters for more esoteric sorts of things.
    Time effects - delay and reverb
    Wah or whammy pedals
    Tuner

What do you like? What sorts of pedals do your influences/heroes play? You might start with googling their pedal boards and figuring out what sounds you want to mess with. Happy hunting.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

There are so many options out there. Tell us a little more. What kind of music do you play? What amp? What guitar?

8. JosephUmscheid

JosephUmscheid Member

I play alot of worship style music. The amp is Marshall MG30DFX. And I play a Samick Les Paul.

9. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I would upgrade the amp before you make any pedal purchases

10. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 Member

Multi Effect is a good way to find out what works for you. Look out for a cheap 2nd hand Digitech RP500 - has ok amp sims, decent dirt and lexicon reverbs and decent delays.
    It's not the newest or the best but it's one of the few muti effects whose dirt section gets you in the ball park of the real pedals.

Digitech Distortion Factory / Mod Factory have the same models in a stomp box size.

The Zoom Multi Stomps are also decent.

11. Slevin

Slevin Member

Yeah, op, get a better amp. Start there. It wouldn't be worth upgrading pedals if you didn't have an amp to properly amplify their best qualities. Not saying your amp is terrible, but there's a lot better out there. If you like marshall, you can still stick with a dsl or a marshall haze or something along that territory if that's the price range you want to deal with. I had the haze for a little and it was a cool little amp.

Pedal wise, not really knowing your price range, but if you're not ready to dive head first into the threshold of boutique pedals, check out a mxr carbon copy for delay. It's a fantastic delay.

For OD, Idk, if you want transparent and not too gainy, a timmy is always good. You can find them for around 100 used on reverb. If not that, check out a fulltone ocd. Goes from light od to full on distortion. Those you can find for like 80 bucks on reverb. Both super solid choices, not breaking the bank, and gives you an opportunity to see the types of things you want.

12. 71strat

71strat Member

+1 for an amp upgrade before buying pedals.

1 amp to look for that is a GREAT amp is a used Fender CyberTwin. Steve Winwood has been using 2 of them since 2004 and still uses them.

Ive had mine since they came out new in 2001. They are great amps... And Im a Tube Snob. CT does have 2 12AX7's though.

A common Mod for the CT is to Swap Out the 12AX7's for 12AU7's. I also did this but used a qualified tech. The CT has some kind of shielding/Aluminum Foil that is touchy and if you dont know what your doing youre screwed. So I didn't mess with it myself.

My main amp from 73-2014 was a 69 Dual Showman Reverb that I had Blackfaced and an ODS Mod + a Quality PPIMV from Hall Amplification 4 years ago.

Now my main amp is a Metropoulos LTD ED. GMP45.

But the CT sounds good both at Low volumes and Loud. It has Great Effects although limited in their combinations.

It takes Pedals Great and also has an Effects Loop though I usually run straight into the amp and use the amp like a Regular amp.
    I don't generally use the presets and dial in an amp and reconfigure the setting myself.

Of course it shines reproducing Fender amps and serves as a good pedal platform.. Especially for he money. You have to learn how to adjust Gain/Trim when using Boost/Drive pedals. Which is simple enough.

Also the CT isn't a Modeling amp, and not saying Modeling is bad.

I also had New the Axe FX II XL.

The Fractal and Kemper Both actually take some tech from the CT.

Kemper and Fractal both also have a Virtual Circuit Board as they reconfigure to the original circuit values albeit in the Virtual Realm.

The CT had this technology 14 years ago. But the Kemper/Fractal also both Model and have a Million ( Over exaggeration ) combinations available for the effects.

I got rid of the Fractal because 6 out of 6 of us thought the CT sounded better than the Fractal when just dialing in regular amplifiers and using pedals that I use with my tube amps.

I got on the wait list for the new FX8 pedal board.

For other pedals ??

I would first start with a Kyle Chase EP3 Echoplex Preamps.

It has both the Early 70's and later 70's circuit in 1 box. It has a Toggle Switch to switch between them.

This is an Exact Replica including using NOS parts. This is the 1st pedal I would recommend anyone to buy as an Always On pedal.

Next I would get the Moog Minifooger Delay. Combine the Echoplex Preamps with a High Quality Analog Delay and you have an Instant Echoplex without the headaches. The Preamp of the Echoplex sets it apart from Delay. Many guitarists and other instruments have been running EP2/3 preamps and bypassing the Echo part for 40-45 years.

Also the Minifooger Delay has a really nice Drive Circuit that you can also use as a Stand Alone Drive. It has 22db od Drive.

The CT, Kyle Chase EP3, and the Moog Minifooger Delay gets my vote.

www.chasetone.com Secret Preamp.

Also the Solid State EP3's from the early 70's - Late 70's are more sought after than the Tube EP2's. The EP3's were also not all the same.

These are Exact copies of the 1's that are the most sought after of the bunch. + All NOS parts. This is not just a copy with modern parts.

But many of the EP3 preamps are an upgrade. This 1 is just probably the top of the heap.

Also the CT is my grab and go amp and everyone always says how good it sounds.

Im also going to buy another 1.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  13. playguitar6789

playguitar6789 Supporting Member

OP: based on the worship style you mentioned, I would recommend the following in each respective category (and these pedals are generally budget-friendly):

Distortion: RAT
    Overdrive: TS9, Timmy, OCD
    Delay: DD7, DD20, Carbon Copy
    Reverb: Hall of Fame

Those are just general recommendations of pedals I've found work well in a worship environment. Of course, this all depends on your guitar, amp, how you run the pedals (i.e., clean amp, or tube breakup), and even more specifically what sound you are going after.

I've found that distortion rarely has a place in the style of contemporary worship I play, but overdrive does. But maybe distortion does for your application.

As far as the amp goes, I'm not very familiar with Marshall, so I can't tell you to get something over it. Look into some tube amps in your price range. My favorites are Fender and Vox, but I have the boutique alternatives (Tyler and Morgan).

14. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Yeah, I agree - a DD7 would be a useful choice here.

15. Grenville

Grenville Member

I'd also upgrade the amp as soon as you can. A Vox AC15C1 would be a great amp to build a pedal rig around. Others might be a Peavey Classic 30 or Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

16. Pretzmidtown

Pretzmidtown Member

Get yourself a Peavey Classic 30. Great affordable amp for $375 used any day. Then later you can update its speaker for $100 or so and its a magical amp. Takes pedals perfectly. Would go a LONG way in improving your sound and tone over that Marshall. The 30's clean channel is where it's at for me but it has a usable distortion drive that is definitely better than an DS-1 on the clean channel. To get started pedal wise, JOYO is terrific and affordable. BOSS is the next level up I suppose and then you work your way into whatever you fancy after that!